Sponsored by:

The suspension overhaul begins

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2024, 09:58 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts
Default The suspension overhaul begins

After two years of saving money (it wasn't enough), and squirreling away parts, it's finally time to get to work on the 993 suspension overhaul.

First order of business is sending the calipers off to PMB for a rebuild. I hope to have them back by the time the rest of the work is complete.

All suspension components will be replaced or refurbished. The majority of the suspension will be Elephant Racing stock with a few bits from Tarett Engineering. Bushings will be sport rubber, with several select location monoballs. Subframe bushings and the transmission mount will be sport rubber. Coil overs are Tractive (non electronic). Inner and outer tie rod ends with bump steer will be installed. RS roll bars and drop links will go on.

A Numeric short shifter is also going in, and RS side skirts will be installed.

I was to do the bulk of the work myself, however health issues have changed my plans (in more ways than one). Now a local indy will do the install and I will help as I can. We hope to be complete by the end of next week.
The following 5 users liked this post by SpeedyC2:
996scott (09-25-2024), dalves11 (09-25-2024), Kein_Ersatz (09-25-2024), MrRoboto (09-24-2024), orangecurry (09-24-2024)
Old 09-24-2024, 04:04 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Wondering what your thought process was in landing on Tractive, and not getting the electronically adjustable dampers (i'm assuming that's what non-electric means)
Old 09-24-2024, 04:40 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrRoboto
Wondering what your thought process was in landing on Tractive, and not getting the electronically adjustable dampers (i'm assuming that's what non-electric means)
Good question.

I bought the Tractive coil overs about 1-1/2 years ago from TPC Racing in Maryland. I had a bit of history with TPC from when I was doing track events with my Cayman at VIR. They were moving their shop and posted here about a sale they were having so as not to have to move inventory. They had a few sets of both analog and electronically adjustable units and were offering a very good sale price. By the time I contacted Tom at TPC to ask about them, there was only one of the analog sets remaining. I figured I really didn't need the cost and complexity of the adjustable units (though I bet they are very nice), so I decided to buy the analog coil overs based on Tom's feedback on their quality.

Last edited by SpeedyC2; 09-24-2024 at 04:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MrRoboto (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 08:50 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 184 Posts

Subscribed! Thanks for taking the time to document your upgrade journey. Hope you health allows you to at least enjoy the "ride".

Plastics and rubbers on 25 year old cars will need addressing, had both shifter tension rods "fail" (drop off) on my two 993s within weeks of each other. :-P
SpeedyC2 (Yesterday)
Old 09-25-2024, 11:07 AM
dalves11
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
Good question.

I bought the Tractive coil overs about 1-1/2 years ago from TPC Racing in Maryland. I had a bit of history with TPC from when I was doing track events with my Cayman at VIR. They were moving their shop and posted here about a sale they were having so as not to have to move inventory. They had a few sets of both analog and electronically adjustable units and were offering a very good sale price. By the time I contacted Tom at TPC to ask about them, there was only one of the analog sets remaining. I figured I really didn't need the cost and complexity of the adjustable units (though I bet they are very nice), so I decided to buy the analog coil overs based on Tom's feedback on their quality.
I was able to get one of the two electronically adjustable units during that sale. I think @fnckr got the other set. From what I've gathered, @nk993 also installed a slightly different set and with different controller (Nine Excellence). I just finished up my install and total overall of suspension. Probably owe back to the community a thread.

Good luck with your install.
SpeedyC2 (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 12:29 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Parts pictures ****:

Parts table

The other parts table

Elephant drop links

Tarett tie rods

Tarett toe links

Front coil overs

Rear coil overs

Old 09-25-2024, 12:30 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dalves11
I was able to get one of the two electronically adjustable units during that sale. I think @fnckr got the other set. From what I've gathered, @nk993 also installed a slightly different set and with different controller (Nine Excellence). I just finished up my install and total overall of suspension. Probably owe back to the community a thread.

Good luck with your install.
I would love to hear your feedback
Old 09-25-2024, 10:13 PM
gbgastowers
Rennlist Member

Location: Holden Beach and Winston-Salem, North Carolina 82 928 Euro S 5spd MOSS GREEN/CHAMPAGNE-04 996 C4S CONV TIP POLAR SILVER/METROPOL BLUE
Received 311 Likes on 179 Posts

Hope the best for your health. That’s everything!
The following 2 users liked this post by gbgastowers:
orangecurry (Yesterday), SpeedyC2 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbgastowers
Hope the best for your health. That’s everything!
Thank you - the sentiment is greatly appreciated.

Things are looking up. I will never be completely out of the woods, but the trees are thinning!
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM
dalves11
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
I would love to hear your feedback
Well, I haven't completely finished it yet. But I did drive it to the alignment shop (good but some funny action, expected) and from the alignment shop (felt great). Surprised at how much an alignment makes a difference. I am having an issue getting power through the controller so it's currently at full stiff, so didn't push it since hitting a bump hurts everything. Lots more to evaluate. I know 993 are sensitive to alignment, but it felt really good. Made fully stiff feel like I could live with it.
SpeedyC2 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

I love those Tarrett rear toe-links. If you didn't get the fixed washers for them you need to - they are essential.

These are the reasons why they are great:
1. Finer adjustment vs the eccentric washer
2. Once they are set they are set - no need to mark them or readjust them when you take the suspension apart and put it back together
3. The two piece design is way better than the one-piece OEM design because you can separate them at the wheel-end of the link and leave them bolted at the engine end, so you never again need to deal with trying to squirrel those bolts around the heat-exchanger part of the exhaust. Makes dropping the whole crossbar + sway bar assembly super easy.

Note that the bolts that come with the fixed washers are a bit too long and will need to be cut down!
Old Today, 10:15 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Thank you for this information!

Fixed washers are on the way now...
Old Today, 11:17 AM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Here's a pic of what I was talking about - the whole cross bar and sway-bar assembly removed as one piece, and it can be put back with no loss of adjustment.
The fixed washers and bolts (highlighted) replace the the eccentrics.

Old Today, 12:50 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Very helpful! Thank you again.
Old Today, 01:14 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,064 Likes on 555 Posts

Edit: disregard. Didn't see your other post that you had bought them and already on the way. Had an unneeded set which I could sell.

Last edited by boomboomthump; Today at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: The suspension overhaul begins