Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

77 911s ignition issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2024, 11:34 PM
KPHealey
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 77 911s ignition issues

Got this car about a month ago, it hasn't been running for 12 years. The P.O. is a good friend of mine and it just stopped on him one day, he threw it on a hauler and parked it in his shop.
(He has the awful problem of having two others to drive) Gen. and Oil lights come on and it cranks strong. Little to no spark on #4 piston, nothing on #1. No spark from Coil but coil tests
fine with ohmmeter. 4th gen. Permatune module bench tested fine as well. The weirdness starts while cranking, the Tach is dead still however the Speedometer is bouncing all over the place.
Any info./clues would be greatly helpful. If there is an existing thread on this please direct me, I can't find it.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 09-24-2024, 07:41 AM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 112 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by KPHealey
Got this car about a month ago, it hasn't been running for 12 years. The P.O. is a good friend of mine and it just stopped on him one day, he threw it on a hauler and parked it in his shop.
(He has the awful problem of having two others to drive) Gen. and Oil lights come on and it cranks strong. Little to no spark on #4 piston, nothing on #1. No spark from Coil but coil tests
fine with ohmmeter. 4th gen. Permatune module bench tested fine as well. The weirdness starts while cranking, the Tach is dead still however the Speedometer is bouncing all over the place.
Any info./clues would be greatly helpful. If there is an existing thread on this please direct me, I can't find it.

Thanks,
Kevin
Good luck!
http://www.systemsc.com/

Old 09-24-2024, 10:09 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 170 Posts

Electrical gremlins are the worst. Old Permatune (and MSD and other electronic ignition) boxes often develop problems. Old coils are junk. It it were mine, I'd strip out the whole kit and kaboodle and go back to stock, which is a big job that I think unfortunately requires replacing the Permatune distributor. Don't forget to replace the wires.
Old 09-24-2024, 01:10 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by raspritz
Electrical gremlins are the worst. Old Permatune (and MSD and other electronic ignition) boxes often develop problems. Old coils are junk. It it were mine, I'd strip out the whole kit and kaboodle and go back to stock, which is a big job that I think unfortunately requires replacing the Permatune distributor. Don't forget to replace the wires.
Mostly!
Old 09-24-2024, 04:05 PM
KPHealey
6th Gear

Originally Posted by raspritz

Even if all that stuff checks ok? From what I can tell it’s the original Bosch blue coil I tested and I’ve swapped with another known working coil with the same result, no start. The distributor appears to be stock Bosch with functioning points(opening/closing. The Permanente box appears to be a replacement that bench tests fine. After getting my 70 Westfalia running again I’m reluctant to start throwing parts at the 911 to see what sticks.
Are there any characteristics of midyear 911s I need to look for be aware of?
Old 09-24-2024, 06:48 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Even if all that stuff checks ok? From what I can tell it’s the original Bosch blue coil I tested and I’ve swapped with another known working coil with the same result, no start. The distributor appears to be stock Bosch with functioning points(opening/closing. The Permanente box appears to be a replacement that bench tests fine. After getting my 70 Westfalia running again I’m reluctant to start throwing parts at the 911 to see what sticks.
You can send the CDI to us for testing, $35 plus shipping. Again, Perma-Tunes are NOT reliable!
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
KPHealey
6th Gear

Looks like I'm in search of a core. The least expensive 3pin Bosch CDI on Ebay was an untested one for $490. Rebuilts seem to be that much at least + $300 core charge. Anybody out there have a 3pin Bosch paperweight they want to part with?
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
Dr. 914
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 202 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks,
Kevin

have you replaced the points and set the dwell?

Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM
KPHealey
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dr. 914
have you replaced the points and set the dwell?
I have

Quick Reply: 77 911s ignition issues