Macan 2014-Current

APR Stage 1 for '21 Macan Base?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2024 | 11:42 AM
opecity
2nd Gear

Default APR Stage 1 for '21 Macan Base?

Hey all,

Pretty frustrated - I bought the Ultralink to flash my '21 Macan base at home only to be hit with the 'can't detect your control unit' error. According to the APR website the base '21 Macan has a tune mapped, but for whatever reason it doesn't recognize my car to start the process. I called APR and went through some basic troubleshooting steps, but the guy on the phone never asked about make/model/box code, etc.

Perhaps any other '21 owners here with APR Stage 1 that can confirm they got it going? (or maybe @Arin@APR ?) My box code is 95B906259S / 0002

Thanks!

----
Update:

John at APR confirmed they do not have a tune for my specific box code, and they can't provide any sort of timeline for when/if they will. To add a cherry on top of this bad experience, I paid for expedited shipping and am now being told not only will they not refund that, but I'll be responsible for return shipping as well. I can't believe how poor the customer service from APR is. They know which box codes are not covered, yet don't include that information for the buyer prior to purchase. They only list model and year, which clearly doesn't cover the necessary information for the consumer.
It would be really great if they published that information on the product page, or at least did the right thing by their customers and offered to cover return shipping since the issue was created by negligence/information gatekeeping on their part.
This experience has been highly disappointing and honestly I think it has put me off of APR, which is sad, because I've been running their tunes, coil packs, plugs, and other various hardware from them for over a decade. I just thought they were better than that.

Last edited by opecity; 09-19-2024 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Updated situation w/information for other potential customers.
Old 09-19-2024 | 12:05 PM
BMinSFL
Pro

That sucks to hear. What other flash tune options are there for your application? I have the same vehicle and am using a JB4 which was my default under warranty but always liked the flash tunes once out of warranty. The JB4 has been really great though.
Old 09-19-2024 | 12:09 PM
opecity
2nd Gear

I think I'll also be heading to the JB4, since it seems no tuners have really developed anything for my specific box code (lucky us).

Since you've already got the JB4 running, I would love to pick your brain and hear how you accessed and got through the firewall for the OBD plug. I was trying to install something else that went from engine bay to cabin, and couldn't solve it for the life of me - even with a cable router. The only video I've seen of the JB4 install has the wire running outside, but under the door/quarter panel area. That just seems not ideal and kind of messy.
Old 09-19-2024 | 04:36 PM
BMinSFL
Pro

Originally Posted by opecity
I think I'll also be heading to the JB4, since it seems no tuners have really developed anything for my specific box code (lucky us).

Since you've already got the JB4 running, I would love to pick your brain and hear how you accessed and got through the firewall for the OBD plug. I was trying to install something else that went from engine bay to cabin, and couldn't solve it for the life of me - even with a cable router. The only video I've seen of the JB4 install has the wire running outside, but under the door/quarter panel area. That just seems not ideal and kind of messy.
Check out post #25 in this thread below, I happened to put it up the other day:

https://rennlist.com/forums/macan/14...mmander-2.html

I hate working in the footwell/firewall area so I ran it down the fender and through a couple of existing holes in the door hinge area that happened to work nicely to feed directly near the OBD-II port. You need to remove the lower plastic interior door sill and peel back the wheel well liner just a bit but overall a much more simple and accessible job than the firewall, and less risk of hitting a wire in the main bundle. You would never notice it unless you specifically looked there with a bright flashlight as I did in the photos. You also need to tap the 02 sensor on the 2021 but at least you know its monitoring AFR.

Fairly easy other than that. I'm running a customized boost map with a peak of +7.5 psi over stock. Its a big difference and I recorded 30-70mph as quick as the 3.0 S. Good enough for me and really helps with the top end too. A game changer for the base and as much as I would want for my uses on the street.

Last edited by BMinSFL; 09-19-2024 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-19-2024 | 08:30 PM
BMinSFL
Pro

Originally Posted by opecity
The only video I've seen of the JB4 install has the wire running outside, but under the door/quarter panel area. That just seems not ideal and kind of messy.
I think I saw what you were referring to here, was this the Flat 6 installation video? That is complete garbage of an installation, maybe fine for a track day or dyno but nothing I would run for more than a day. My routing is nothing like that.

Quick Reply: APR Stage 1 for '21 Macan Base?