Notices

Importing a modified car into Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2024 | 05:09 PM
Nostrathomas
Rennlist Member

Default Importing a modified car into Canada?

I'm currently in the process of buying a 993 from the US, and looking to import the car into Canada. It is of course is beyond the 15 year mark.

The car is stock, apart from having a supercharger installed (done by a reputable shop to a high standard)....so it may or may not be considered "modified". I'm wondering if anyone knows if that makes a difference in terms of importing. Reading the RIV rules, I don't think so since it's beyond the 15 year mark, but I'm wondering if someone here may know for sure or has some insight?

The seller has the original parts, which I'd of course like to keep in case I ever want to restore it to original, but Im not sure if it's a good idea to send with the car (it is being transported), in case it raises eyebrows. So my thinking is that it may be best to just treat that as a separate thing and ship them in the mail. Am I being too cautious in doing so?

Appreciate any insight!
Old 09-19-2024 | 04:37 PM
Aluffman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nostrathomas
I'm currently in the process of buying a 993 from the US, and looking to import the car into Canada. It is of course is beyond the 15 year mark.

The car is stock, apart from having a supercharger installed (done by a reputable shop to a high standard)....so it may or may not be considered "modified". I'm wondering if anyone knows if that makes a difference in terms of importing. Reading the RIV rules, I don't think so since it's beyond the 15 year mark, but I'm wondering if someone here may know for sure or has some insight?

The seller has the original parts, which I'd of course like to keep in case I ever want to restore it to original, but Im not sure if it's a good idea to send with the car (it is being transported), in case it raises eyebrows. So my thinking is that it may be best to just treat that as a separate thing and ship them in the mail. Am I being too cautious in doing so?

Appreciate any insight!
I imported a highly modified C5 corvette (also supercharged aftermarket) and drove it in a few years ago, the only thing they're concerned about generally is the claimed / legitimacy of the value of the vehicle. If its over 15yrs like mine was, you'll need to get a safety which shouldnt be a problem, but its not subject to the same compliance scrutiny as a newer card. Don't expect any problem.s
Old 09-19-2024 | 05:20 PM
Nostrathomas
Rennlist Member

Thanks, that's a relief to hear! There are already enough headaches and costs with importing, I didn't want to add this one to the pile.

Quick Reply: Importing a modified car into Canada?