Sponsored by:

Got new tires, now wheels are stained

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:34 AM
Dave16
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Got new tires, now wheels are stained

I had my dealer install new tires a couple of weeks ago. It looks like whatever grease/substance they used to install the tires on the wheels has left some spot stains. I've tried everything from soap, to wheel cleaner, to isopropyl alcohol and no luck. Anyone have any experience with this or have any idea how to remove the stains. TIA.

Old Today, 10:00 AM
pbcsd
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 88 Posts

Try some Dawn dish soap and a tire brush. If that doesn't work, a stronger degreaser.

Just see you've already tried it. Did you use a decent bristled brush?

Looks like some folks recommended trying a bit of WD40 on a soft rag. Personally I'd look for a degreaser specifically made for rims. Maybe something like Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Wheel Cleaner. Let it sit for a few minutes then use a rim brush to work it in, then rinse/wipe.

Last edited by pbcsd; Today at 10:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dave16 (Today)
Old Today, 12:23 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,371 Likes on 1,536 Posts

You most likely will need a mild abrasive. If there is clear coat on the wheels, use Rubbing Compound. It there is no clear coat, some Simichrome metal polish will usually do the trick.
Dave16 (Today)
Old Today, 12:34 PM
Dave16
Instructor

Thanks guys.
The wheels are the factory Carrera Classics. The finish is quite smooth so I assume they have a clear coat. I'll start with the Dawn and move up to the degreaser. I wasn't sure how aggressive I could get on the finish. I have Meguier's liquid rubbing compound and drill brushes so I can gradually ramp up.
Old Today, 12:37 PM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 150 Posts

Dish soap as others have said, or you can go to your local shop and buy a wheel/tire cleaner which has a degreaser component. There is plenty of brands that work well.

I would use a soft microfibre cloth that you can throw away after as it will turn brown. A brush won’t work as well for this in my experience and the microfibre can work well as a polishing media with the appropriate cleaner.

Dave16 (Today)
Old Today, 12:39 PM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave16
Thanks guys.
The wheels are the factory Carrera Classics. The finish is quite smooth so I assume they have a clear coat. I'll start with the Dawn and move up to the degreaser. I wasn't sure how aggressive I could get on the finish. I have Meguier's liquid rubbing compound and drill brushes so I can gradually ramp up.
don’t use compounds, spend a few minutes and get a dedicated wheel cleaner. Lots of brands sell that, it comes in a spray bottle. This is super minor stuff and attacking it with a compound is jumping straight to 100 when the problem is a 10
Dave16 (Today)
Old Today, 12:41 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,371 Likes on 1,536 Posts

A bush will scratch the clear and not give you the friction you need with a rubbing compound, and a power buffer is too extreme (could leave a high polish mark which is worse than a discoloration spot). Hand Rubbing a Compound with a cloth is probably where you want to be.
Dave16 (Today)
Old Today, 12:51 PM
Dave16
Instructor

Originally Posted by Haros
don’t use compounds, spend a few minutes and get a dedicated wheel cleaner. Lots of brands sell that, it comes in a spray bottle. This is super minor stuff and attacking it with a compound is jumping straight to 100 when the problem is a 10
I used P&S wheel cleaner and it was unable to get the stains off.
I hear you. I certainly don't want to do more harm then good here.
Old Today, 01:00 PM
Ah10
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Try using PB Blast, spray a little on the stained area, let it sit for like 15mins, then rub with microfiber towel or terri cloth
Dave16 (Today)
Old Today, 01:21 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 358 Posts

Are you positive it's grease or is it that nylon wheel restraint that rubbed off its color onto the wheel? Maybe there's was red? Just a thought. I've never seen red grease used for this but I don't change tires for a living. Also, why not call the tires shop and ask them? They may have a way of dealing with it

Last edited by VarTheVar; Today at 01:22 PM.
Dave16 (Today)
Old Today, 01:50 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,189 Posts

MAGIC ERASER. Thirty seconds.
Old Today, 01:51 PM
Dave16
Instructor

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
Are you positive it's grease or is it that nylon wheel restraint that rubbed off its color onto the wheel? Maybe there's was red? Just a thought. I've never seen red grease used for this but I don't change tires for a living. Also, why not call the tires shop and ask them? They may have a way of dealing with it
Given the random spots I don't think it was anything rubbing. I am guessing it was something liquid/gel/paste that they used and splattered.
VarTheVar (Today)

Quick Reply: Got new tires, now wheels are stained