Panamera Shaking at High Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2024, 11:58 AM
vice_toned
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Panamera Shaking at High Speeds

2011 Panamera S.

Around 5-6 weeks ago, I had gotten a major service done and replaced the stock motor mounts (which used to shake crazy) with a pair of Lemforder motor mounts. So far they're keeping up with minimal vibration except when idling, you can feel a teeny tiny bit if you're in the driver chair. extremely minimal and barely noticeable.. I thought that was the USUAL since when I started driving with the car, they used to shake crazy.

All was fine and dandy until I started dailying my car again for University (around late August). First week was fine, and then 2nd week I began noticing vibrations at around 105/110km/h .. (60-65mph) and above.

The whole car shakes at this speed, you can feel it in the chair and even someone sitting in the passenger seat can feel it.

So I thought, it's probably the alignment and tires balancing. Took the car for an inspection, and they told us there was a leak in the steering box and the rubbers.
Great.

We got it fixed just today (as of the time of posting this) and did the wheel balance and the alignment.

What's crazy? Didn't fix anything. The steering wheel is EXTREMELY SMOOTH now feels like literal butter, but the car still shakes at the previously mentioned speed.

Perhaps the motor mounts have something to do with it? Maybe the person that installed them left them a bit loose? Just a wild guess.. since that's the same person that caused my steering box leak by improperly changing the power steering oil.

When revving the car when stationary, the car DOES NOT shake, even at fairly high RPMs.
The car cruising in 7th gear at around 90km/h (55mph) does NOT shake either. No shaking in any gears either.. PDK seems to be in great condition despite not being serviced yet.

Tomorrow I'm going to try it on the highway, and get more information on certain speeds and whether the vibration increases.. speed limit is capped at 140km/h (86mph) on the highway btw lol

Old 09-16-2024, 08:32 AM
djdonte
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

My leaking motor mount caused a slight vibration, but I could feel it when going slow too. Shaking at certain speeds is usually caused by out of balance tires or bent wheels. When I had a mustang with drag radials that were tough to balance, I found a lot of shops need their machine calibrated and/or just get it "close enough." Worn out tires are also difficult to balance perfectly, maybe impossible if unevenly worn. If the steering wheel is smooth, that rules out the front wheels. I would have the rear wheels checked again.
Old 09-16-2024, 04:48 PM
vice_toned
Advanced

Originally Posted by djdonte
My leaking motor mount caused a slight vibration, but I could feel it when going slow too. Shaking at certain speeds is usually caused by out of balance tires or bent wheels. When I had a mustang with drag radials that were tough to balance, I found a lot of shops need their machine calibrated and/or just get it "close enough." Worn out tires are also difficult to balance perfectly, maybe impossible if unevenly worn. If the steering wheel is smooth, that rules out the front wheels. I would have the rear wheels checked again.
Hmm.. that's interesting.

Regarding the motor mounts there is still a fair bit of vibration even when the car is idle, you can feel it while in the driver chair.
I just got home a bit ago, and was experimenting a bit with the car after the alignment and wheels balancing.
At speeds below 105km/h, the car doesn't shake and drives as usual. Steering wheel doesn't shake or anything, smooth as butter.

Above that speed, the car starts shaking and the steering wheel vibrates a bit..
Might get the rear wheels checked next weekend hopefully, I'm thinking maybe the rear-left wheel since I actually hit a curb while driving back home late at night lol
Old 09-16-2024, 05:02 PM
jaystonewee
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Driveshaft support bearing?
Old 09-17-2024, 02:40 PM
vice_toned
Advanced

Originally Posted by jaystonewee
Driveshaft support bearing?
What could be some symptoms of it?
Old 09-18-2024, 09:32 AM
jaystonewee
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Symptoms; speed dependent vibrations, primarily driveline. Could be felt in steering (especially if AWD). If wheels are true and balanced, I'd check there as well. The rubber that holds the bearing wears out and allows the driveshaft to oscillate/vibrate. JXB makes a two piece replacement that can be installed without driveshaft removal.

Old 09-18-2024, 09:34 AM
vice_toned
Advanced

Symptoms; speed dependent vibrations, primarily driveline. Could be felt in steering (especially if AWD). If wheels are true and balanced, I'd check there as well. The rubber that holds the bearing wears out and allows the driveshaft to oscillate/vibrate. JXB makes a two piece replacement that can be installed without driveshaft removal.
At speeds above 105km/h, there can be vibration felt in the steering wheel despite balanced tires and recently done alignment.
At those speeds, vibration/shaking can be felt throughout the car, in the front seats and back seats.
Will be taking a look ASAP.
Old 09-19-2024, 04:31 PM
Jasonbourne8642
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Watching this thread with interest as I also have a small vibration at around 70mph in my 970.2 4S. Need to do an alignment first but will check this out.

On the JXB carrier bushings...they are only listed for a Cayenne. Will they work on a Panamera too?
Old 09-19-2024, 09:31 PM
Mootz
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Known issue with Panamera 4, Turbo, GTS. See the following:https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...hat-to-do.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...-55-60mph.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...hat-to-do.html

Quick Reply: Panamera Shaking at High Speeds