Sponsored by:

The existential question for Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2024, 10:26 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 127 Posts
Default The existential question for Porsche

As I have followed this board for one year, I have concluded that Porsche has a defining decision to make. Are they a true sports car company for people who love to drive cars (their history), or have they become a "luxury brand" who denies their most loyal (but maybe not richest) customers the cars they really want and deserve? Unfortunately I believe they have become the latter, and I think they will find they made the wrong long term decision. What do you think?
The following 2 users liked this post by jmrichards:
911usmc (Yesterday), snakepilot 69 (Yesterday)
Old 09-11-2024, 10:37 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 572 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by jmrichards
As I have followed this board for one year, I have concluded that Porsche has a defining decision to make. Are they a true sports car company for people who love to drive cars (their history), or have they become a "luxury brand" who denies their most loyal (but maybe not richest) customers the cars they really want and deserve? Unfortunately I believe they have become the latter, and I think they will find they made the wrong long term decision. What do you think?

I think us loyal, car, gear heads are on the chopping block as we are the minority. Maybe we should all join forces and start a car company that produces cars for enthusiasts…🤔

Last edited by 737gdog; 09-11-2024 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2024, 10:47 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,319 Likes on 2,120 Posts

It’s clear that Porsche marketing has decided to become a lifestyle brand.
The following 4 users liked this post by shrimp money:
911usmc (Yesterday), CAA (Yesterday), G.Alexandru (Yesterday), Lk1 (Yesterday)
Old 09-11-2024, 10:51 PM
McNamara
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 115 Posts

Somewhere between the two but with an uncomfortably heavy emphasis on being a lifestyle brand. For me, it’s not. Make the ****ing cars as best as you can without the bean counters getting too much in the way. 911s peaked in the last 10 years and current day hype is feeding off that. Meanwhile we’re already well on the downslope and most people don’t realize it. I hope I’m wrong, but bet I’m not. VAG will milk the brand for everything it’s worth and it will end up being a shell of its former self.
Old 09-11-2024, 11:03 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Originally Posted by McNamara
Somewhere between the two but with an uncomfortably heavy emphasis on being a lifestyle brand. For me, it’s not. Make the ****ing cars as best as you can without the bean counters getting too much in the way. 911s peaked in the last 10 years and current day hype is feeding off that. Meanwhile we’re already well on the downslope and most people don’t realize it. I hope I’m wrong, but bet I’m not. VAG will milk the brand for everything it’s worth and it will end up being a shell of its former self.
Interesting how Ferrari forced the decision to IPO the company. Maybe Porsche could go completely independent and reclaim some glory.
The following 3 users liked this post by jmrichards:
Hunky (Yesterday), johnohara (09-11-2024), McNamara (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Zoomnbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 71 Posts

Porsche is a for profit organization that is going to do what is best for Porsche. Everything else is just BS.
The following 5 users liked this post by Zoomnbyu:
Bluehighways (Yesterday), G.Alexandru (Yesterday), Haros (Yesterday), incoming992s (Yesterday), VarTheVar (Yesterday)
Old 09-11-2024, 11:41 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Originally Posted by Zoomnbyu
Porsche is a for profit organization that is going to do what is best for Porsche. Everything else is just BS.
As someone involved in many corporate finance decisions in my career, it seems to me that you clearly haven't thought enough about the question. Are you trying to satisfy shareholders and analysts for the next few quarters, or do you have a long term vision for the future of the company and the brand? I believe Porsche has abandoned long term strategic goals for short term profits. This rarely gives a good result in the long term.
The following 9 users liked this post by jmrichards:
Devon Racer (Yesterday), Hunky (Yesterday), incoming992s (Yesterday), Lk1 (Yesterday), Onami (Yesterday), silverscooby27 (Yesterday), snakepilot 69 (Yesterday), verstraete (Yesterday), Wilder (Yesterday) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-11-2024, 11:48 PM
Bahman
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

The early Porsches were designed and manufactured by engineers for enthusiasts. They had breeding, soul and character. None exist in modern Porsches, even though the modern models have superior, exhilarating and unmatched performance specs.

I have had many Porsches during my 81 years, but my favorite is a black 1972 E Targa which I still own, drive, savor, and blow away any negative thoughts or stress.

porsche has completely transitioned from an enthusiast’s car to a statement car. The brand suffers from all maladies associated with big corporations, especially under the VAG umbrella. Sorry to see.
The following 8 users liked this post by Bahman:
2thHappy (Yesterday), Butzi (Yesterday), George from MD (09-11-2024), incoming992s (Yesterday), McNamara (09-11-2024), verstraete (Yesterday), Webfiero (Yesterday), Wilder (Yesterday) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 689 Likes on 324 Posts

Been a somewhat attainable lifestyle brand for a long time.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends

AI Summary:

Porsche Design, a lifestyle brand, was founded in 1972 by Professor Ferdinand Alexander Porsche, the grandson of Porsche's founder. Porsche Design's products are known for their precision, performance, and technological innovation. Porsche's philosophy was to extend the principles and legend of Porsche beyond the automotive world. Porsche Design products include:Watches, Eyewear, Sportswear, Men's fashion, Bags and luggage, Accessories, and Electronics. The first product from Porsche Design was the P'6510 watch, which was the world's first blacked-out chronograph. The design philosophy of Porsche Design includesesign serves the function before all elseEvery element has a functionThe reason for the structure is functional rather than decorative
Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 208 Posts

It’s simple supply & demand. More importantly, it’s about maximizing profits. No major automotive manufacturer cares much about what enthusiasts think because majority of the consumers are not enthusiasts. Porsche builds their HALO cars (TTS, GT, GTxRS) to keep a very minute group of enthusiasts happy, but mainly as a marketing tool. Their best sellers are entry level/base models. As long as consumers are willing to drop 6 figures for a glorified VW, they won’t change their business model and there isn’t a shortage of buyers. If you are a die hard “enthusiast “, tune and mod the car to your heart’s content but be ready to “pay to play”.
Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM
Jimjamz
AutoX

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you’re assuming they have to choose. If you can’t find an enthusiast car for sports car purists in Porsche’s lineup I don’t think you’re looking hard enough.

And if the luxury market they are also attracting allows them to keep funding the development of great sports cars…good
The following 7 users liked this post by Jimjamz:
Blu311 (Yesterday), FloraFauna (Yesterday), incoming992s (Yesterday), Just J (Yesterday), notcarbonated (Yesterday), rasetsu (Yesterday), Tedster (Yesterday) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Yesterday, 01:25 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,011 Likes on 5,234 Posts

Originally Posted by jmrichards
Neither.

Porsche is a profit maximizing company.
The following users liked this post:
luv2sleep (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:26 AM
McNamara
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Neither.

Porsche is a profit maximizing company.
Of course but it’s more complicated than that. i.e. over what time period? Maximizing profits today does not necessarily lead to maximized profits in the future. When you cannibalize what makes your brand special, you may not have the hype and reputation to rely on in the future.
The following users liked this post:
jmrichards (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 381 Posts

I don't think it's Porsche that's changed as much as it's the world we live in. Not a brand, business or board that hasn't come along for the ride..,.and if they haven't they won't be around for long.
Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM
ManOfTheHouse
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been a Porsche owner for over 38 years, and the brand provides me with fantastic driving experiences, better than any other. There is also a brand mystique that comes with Porsche ownership, and I admit that I feel proud. Perhaps snobby? Hope not.

I’m not wealthy, but have managed to lease or own them and had to sacrifice to do so. Glad that I did.

I hope they continue to succeed financially, and continue to invest in Motorsports, which I love as well.

Quick Reply: The existential question for Porsche