Oil Level - How do you do it

Search this Thread

Old Today, 03:51 AM
justinbAUS
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil Level - How do you do it

Hi,
I have OCD about oil level so bad that I called it CDO (letters are in order )

I know the stick is on the left side of the sump and the electronic sensor is on the right. So I can appreciate is the car is leaning left/right it can make the car's oil level to read high/low depending.

So today. I drove the car for 40 min and parked it for 2 hours. I then drove it 30 min to a petrol station and filled up. Everything is hot. No idea on oil temp but given the time/distance it should have been nice and hot.

After letting the car sit for 5 min (time it took to dump a can of liqui moly fuel system cleaner and fill the car and pay for it) both the electronic and the dip stick indicated 1/3 and 1/2 respectively.

I just then drove 1 hour (worse stop/start traffic) and parked the car on a very level surface at the shopping centre and now the oil level is all but on max on the stick and 1 notch off max on the sensor.

Is there the 'best' way to check the oil level?

Cheers

Side note - first UOA on its way under my ownership

Old Today, 05:03 AM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 223 Posts

My MY99 shows the same: 1 segment below max on the display and max on the dipstick.
That is enough oil and I don't give it another thought.
Try the same!
Old Today, 05:36 AM
beermanpete
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

That is the problem with having two watches, you never know what time it is. I use the dash gauge only. I did compare it to the dip stick once or twice and they agree well enough for me. If you are uncertain about the gauge use the stick, it is far simpler and therefor more reliable.

Quick Reply: Oil Level - How do you do it