991.2 Burmester Audio Upgrade vs Bose - Questions/info

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM
jpohl402
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 Burmester Audio Upgrade vs Bose - Questions/info

Hello all.
Wondering if someone could provide some details about the optional Burmester audio upgrade, specifically on 991.2 models.
First, I've seen the majority of cars that have BOSE written on the (door) speaker grilles. Ok, it has the BOSE, or mid-range, system.
I've seen a handful of cars with NO badging whatsoever on the (door) speaker grilles. If no badging is present - does that mean it's the BASE system??

I have YET to see any car for sale in online searches with the BURMESTER logo on (door) speaker grilles. Was this a fairly rare option & not spec'ed on many cars??
Anyone have any rough production numbers/ideas on cars spec'ed with it? It definitely seems to NOT be very common, from what I can see.

Any audiophiles with the BURMESTER system, that can comment on bass/mid/high ranges?
Yes I know it's a sports car, with road noise, and a small cabin....

Oh, and no comments needed about engine/exhaust note taking the place of speakers, similar to "Ferrari's don't need any audio speakers, just listen to the symphony behind you" etc.
Thanks in advance!!
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe you are correct in that Bose and Burmester speakers are labeled as such, no label means base.

In my shopping for a 991.2, I’d estimate only 5% of cars I’ve seen for sale have the burmester. The majority seem to have the Bose.
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 458 Posts

Most people sprung for the Bose since it was only $900 or so. The Burmester was like $3k+ more.
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 543 Posts

Burmester will be noted on the tweeter grilles. Many didn’t opt for since sound quality vs price lacked value.
Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

I have two 991.1 that have each: I don’t listen close enough to hear a difference, and I’m an audiophile. So, for casual listening, there's probably little difference, but I have a real 2 channel stereo system in a room at home for serious listening.
Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,489 Likes on 937 Posts

I’ve got the Burmester system in my 991.1. It’s the best car audio system that I’ve ever owned, by far. In my opinion, it was worth the extra money. I had the Bose system in my 996 and in my 997. It was fine, but not in the same league as the Burmester system.

My door speakers have no logos, as I recall.

Last edited by Dennis C; Today at 12:30 AM.
Old Today, 01:08 AM
964-50
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Correct. If there is no badging, it is the base system; otherwise, it will show Bose or Burmester. I have had a 991.1S with the Burmester and now a 991.2T, also with the Burmester. I am probably in the extreme minority here, but I would not buy a Porsche without the Burmester. The Bose is absolutely inadequate for someone who values high-fidelity music.

I have a 2018 Macan Turbo Performance Package, which I bought used with the Bose (the Performance Package was so rare that I thought to make a compromise). I could not stand the Bose at all; it was barely acceptable for background listening. I eventually upgraded the Bose in the Macan to Musicar's Stage II tune and am very happy with that. But it is a production to get it installed and probably does zero to the car's value.

The Burmester option is very rare, especially on non-Turbo models. Is it good value for money? No. But is it worth it? Yes, if you value good sound. So, this is my 2 cents; everyone should form their opinion. PS: for what it's worth, the Burmester grille also looks much more high-end than the Bose one, especially in the 991's,

Quick Reply: 991.2 Burmester Audio Upgrade vs Bose - Questions/info