Sponsored by:

Glove box wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM
Thomas Moore
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Glove box wiring questions

My early 1995 C4 came to me without a glove box light or contact switch (among several other electrical gremlins). A Continental radio was installed by the PO and I assume things were removed then but I have no idea why that would have been done. Anyway, in trying to reassemble all this I ran into wiring questions. I purchased an LED light kit for the glove box and when I attach it to what I assume are the correct wires it comes on dimly, not brightly. I tested the same LED light in the frunk compartment and it was bright as day. The wires in question are Brown and Brown/White. I cannot figure out the glove box door switch wiring. I have a Green wire and a Brown wire in the area where the switch should be. The Brown wire is in a wiring harness with a disconnected connector which I assume went to the OEM radio. These colors do not match what I've seen regarding 993 glove box wiring but mine is an October 1994 build (thanks to Jay at Immoblock). Any advice appreciated.

Old Today, 09:24 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Hi Thomas,
LEDs are diods and only illuminate in one polarity when attached to a power source. Switch the wires to the LED and see if it illuminates more brightly.
It looks like the glove box light switch provides the connection to ground and the red wire to the bulb socket is a constant on hot (+) wire.
RE = Red wire, constant on from the fusebox
BR = Brown wire connected to a body ground
BR/WT = Brown wire with a whte stripe, switched by the glove box switch ground wire to the bulb
Here are the pin-outs to the radio:
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...ire-color.html

The red wire in your picture looks like it is attached to the connector block for the radio. Both the radio and the glove box light have a constant-on Red hot (+) wire going to them. It looks like the radio red wire can have an extention added to it so it powers both the radio and the glove box light if you desire to do this.

Andy
Attached Images  

Last edited by pp000830; Today at 09:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rlb993c2s (Today)
Old Today, 11:16 AM
Thomas Moore
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Andy,

I tried switching polarity on the LED light but it didn’t matter. What is odd is that the bulb wires are BR/BR-WH with no Red wire as shown in your diagram. And the free wires in the area of the missing switch are Green and Brown, with Red bundled in the disconnected radio block. Again, this doesn’t seem to match wiring diagrams. My car has/had the upgraded HiFi audio with the Nokia amp under the seat. Nothing seems to match so I remain stumped.
Old Today, 11:23 AM
boxcarracer
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm getting ready to install a Conti radio (currently have no radio) and also have that green wire not connected to anything.

So if I read correctly on Andy's site, if you put an aftermarket radio, the green wire won't connect to anything?

Quick Reply: Glove box wiring questions