Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Disappointed after a Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM
techana
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed after a Test Drive

I had a first gen (2010) Panamera Turbo. It was really a good car that I'd kept till 2020. After Porsche introduced the new Panamera earlier this year, I considered buying one. I spent sometime with the online configurator then went to the Porsche dealer with a code for Panamera 4. I asked for driving the demo car and they agreed. After signing the papers, I approached the demo car and opened the passenger door to put my stuff. I immediately noticed a screw in the A pillar not fully tightened in place! That gave me a bad first impression. I closed the passenger door and went to the driver door and opened it. I inspected the pillar and didn't notice anything unusual. When I took my place in the driver seat I immediately noticed the difference between my old Panamera and this new one! The new model is just "normal" and can't be described as "luxurious" by any means! Lots and lots of plastics and screens! The start button makes it even worst! When I drove the car I also noticed the high level of noises from the wind and rolling tires. I don't remember my old Panamera being this noisy! It's clear the insulation in the newer model is inferior. I drove the demo car back to the dealer and left without placing the order.

Last edited by techana; Today at 11:17 AM.
Old Today, 11:07 AM
djdonte
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

To each his own I guess. Other than replacing the physical buttons with the giant center console haptic feedback panel, I think the 971 interior is worlds ahead of the 970. Maybe you got a dud? There shouldn't be loose screws. I used to work for a man who was a longtime dealership GM. He told me loaners and demos are always cheaper because they go longer between oil changes and they go faster over curbs.
Old Today, 12:30 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

I mostly keep my cars a long time. Other than a Jaguar F type interior (appearance), I haven’t come across any interior that would be an improvement over my older cars other than they are less worn. Performance and tech features are better but UI stuff and the progressive cost cutting is a turn off. I think I understand your observation. The tech improvements and performance increase have to be significant to me to make the jump.
Old Today, 08:30 PM
its_so_fluffy
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by djdonte
To each his own I guess. Other than replacing the physical buttons with the giant center console haptic feedback panel, I think the 971 interior is worlds ahead of the 970. Maybe you got a dud? There shouldn't be loose screws. I used to work for a man who was a longtime dealership GM. He told me loaners and demos are always cheaper because they go longer between oil changes and they go faster over curbs.
The OP isnt talking about the 971 (Gen 2) but the 972 (Gen 3) which I agree looks much cheaper than the Gen 2. Its for this reason I went with a 2023 GTS after driving my 2018 Panamera for 6 years than place an order for a Gen 3.

Quick Reply: Disappointed after a Test Drive