Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Best way to capture the twisties?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM
confused66
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Best way to capture the twisties?

Headed for the Smokies (to include Tail of the Dragon) and looking for first-hand input on how to best capture my runs. GoPro 10? Insta360? Where did you mount the camera for the most "exciting" footage? High on center of windshield? Hood? Tow hook? Wheel well? I tried with my dashcam originally, but the reflections off my dashboard superimposed a "ghost" image on what would otherwise have been pretty good footage. Also, do the aforementioned cameras (or something else?) have wind filters so you can clearly hear the engine howl? TIA--really looking forward to your inputs/counsel.
Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM
ScottsGT3RS
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I like using the Rayband sunglasses with the camera in them.

https://www.ray-ban.com/usa/ray-ban-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 955 Likes on 452 Posts

I use a couple of suctions cups with different cameras and move them around to get a variety of shots. You won't get great audio though, for that I use another camera with two inputs and place two mics in the center console on a soft cloth. After all the cameras are on, hit the horn a couple of times so you can sync everything up in post.
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
AngeloGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I tried a few different options, but liked the camera in the front/center of my roof the most. Here it is at the Tail (unfortunately had audio off):
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 840 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by confused66
Headed for the Smokies (to include Tail of the Dragon) and looking for first-hand input on how to best capture my runs. GoPro 10? Insta360? Where did you mount the camera for the most "exciting" footage? High on center of windshield? Hood? Tow hook? Wheel well? I tried with my dashcam originally, but the reflections off my dashboard superimposed a "ghost" image on what would otherwise have been pretty good footage. Also, do the aforementioned cameras (or something else?) have wind filters so you can clearly hear the engine howl? TIA--really looking forward to your inputs/counsel.

Im about to list my GoPro Hero 12 Black with a few extras for $300 shipped anywhere in CONUS.
Memory cards included:
128GB
500GB
Travel case
Tethers (x5) to secure to any exterior suction mount to make sure it stays with the mount if it falls off.
Ulanzi hardware to clamp anywhere you want/can - I had this on the tower bar behind the seats when I used it the one time on track - great angle.
4 Total batteries

Everything you see below is included

Proof of function time stamped.

Last edited by BoxKing; Yesterday at 10:01 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 871 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottsGT3RS
I like using the Rayband sunglasses with the camera in them.

https://www.ray-ban.com/usa/ray-ban-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Can you share some footage?
The site states 100 30s vids for storage. So that's about 50 min worth of vids. Not terrible.
Old Today, 12:23 AM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 308 Posts

POV driving videos suck. Get you a GoPro and mount it on the bar behind the seats in the center. Make sure to turn on spot metering so the camera focuses on the outside of the car rather than the interior. Run an external mic out the hatch and secure it to the wing upright for good, but not blown-out clipping audio.
Old Today, 03:18 AM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 353 Posts

Just came back from a few days in europe with the Insta360 X4 + 3m stick - REALLY hard to beat that.
The real advantage is that you KNOW you dont need to touch the footage and can mess with it later. It is amazing.

Old Today, 07:02 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 208 Posts

Old Today, 07:43 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,052 Likes on 1,752 Posts

I just finished a 6-day, 2200 mile trip to Tail of the Dragon. I had the GoPro mounted to the windshield. The footage is good, except that it's all boring. I don't know how to make a cool video out of hours and hours of just driving around. Even pretty brisk speeds on Tail of the dragon looks boring on camera.

On the other hand, I did capture some cool footage during a lightning storm on the drive home through hurricane Debbie.

Old Today, 09:02 AM
GT4RSFAB
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

What sort of mic are you using?
Old Today, 09:03 AM
GT4RSFAB
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sgreer78
POV driving videos suck. Get you a GoPro and mount it on the bar behind the seats in the center. Make sure to turn on spot metering so the camera focuses on the outside of the car rather than the interior. Run an external mic out the hatch and secure it to the wing upright for good, but not blown-out clipping audio.
What mic are you using?

Quick Reply: Best way to capture the twisties?