Sponsored by:

Significant difference in rotor weights (Left vs Right) - Sebro slotted

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2024, 06:21 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 520 Posts
Default Significant difference in rotor weights (Left vs Right) - Sebro slotted

I just purchased a complete set of Sebro slotted one-piece front & rear rotors and am a little perplexed about something. Just out of curiosity, I decided to weight the rotors out of the box. I fully expected the fronts to weigh more than the rears but what surprised me was that the right rotors weighed more than the left rotors, and not insignificantly. To be sure I wasn't making a mistake, I weighed them and reweighed them to ensure that the reading were consistent, even switching back and forth. Each time I weighed each individual rotors, even when switching back and forth, the reading I got were exactly the same for each rotor down to the tenth of a pound. I believe the scale to be accurate as it always gives very consistent readings.

Here are the weights for the fronts:
  • Left Front: 26.4 lbs
  • Right Front: 27.0 lbs
That's .6 lbs difference from left to right. Over a half pound. That doesn't seem like an insignificant amount. (That is a 2.23% difference in weight)

Here are the weights for the rears:
  • Left Rear: 22.6 lbs
  • Right Rear: 22.8 lbs

Not as big of a difference from left to right but still .2 lbs or almost 1/4 pound. (That's a .88% difference in weight. So less than 1%)

Interesting to note that in both cases (fronts vs rears) the rights weigh more than the lefts.

These differences in my opinion are too significant to be unintentional, yet I can't understand why they would be. It's hard to imagine that there could be a quality control issue that would produce such unintentional differences. We're not talking about and ounce or a few grams difference.

I'm perplexed by this because to the best of my knowledge, replacement rotor rings from companies like Girodisc & AP are the same weight from left to right. On the Essex website, it lists the AP 350mm replacement rings as 21.2 lbs for left or right. And my guess is that the rotor hats are the same from left to right too.

Any ideas why there would be such significant difference in the weight of these Sebro rotors?

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 08-13-2024 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2024, 08:52 PM
quickboxster
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

Interesting, I just weighed my brand new set of spare Sebro slotted rotors still in the bag and the right rotor is 0.6 lb heavier than the left.
That's for a 987 and the total weight of the right rotor is 14.6lbs.

Last edited by quickboxster; 08-13-2024 at 08:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tier1Terrier (08-13-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 10:36 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 184 Posts

Old 08-14-2024, 10:45 AM
amurph182
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

clearly these are NASCAR rotors built to withstand the greater forces on the high side of the banking.
The following 3 users liked this post by amurph182:
Carlo_Carrera (08-14-2024), mobius911 (08-14-2024), Tier1Terrier (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 08:52 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

I think he might be right!

Seriously, while interesting to note, I think I wouldn’t be too concerned about it. Since the lefts and rights come from different molds (I’m assuming they are directional), there could be some difference. I’d be more concerned with measurement tolerances than weights being off by 1-2%.
The following 3 users liked this post by stownsen914:
GlenL (08-16-2024), Mike Roblin (08-14-2024), Tier1Terrier (08-14-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 02:16 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 225 Posts

Check out a video on corner balancing on YT and you'll see that each axle could have a massive difference in weight, then you'll realize the difference in weight between the rotors is not really that significant.

One other exercise that you should try is to pull your current rotors off and weigh them. I've never tried but I suspect there's a difference in weight for those too.
The following 2 users liked this post by Speed2k:
Nickshu (08-15-2024), Tier1Terrier (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 05:45 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by quickboxster
Interesting, I just weighed my brand new set of spare Sebro slotted rotors still in the bag and the right rotor is 0.6 lb heavier than the left.
That's for a 987 and the total weight of the right rotor is 14.6lbs.
Originally Posted by stownsen914
I think he might be right!

Seriously, while interesting to note, I think I wouldn’t be too concerned about it. Since the lefts and rights come from different molds (I’m assuming they are directional), there could be some difference. I’d be more concerned with measurement tolerances than weights being off by 1-2%.
Originally Posted by Speed2k
Check out a video on corner balancing on YT and you'll see that each axle could have a massive difference in weight, then you'll realize the difference in weight between the rotors is not really that significant.

One other exercise that you should try is to pull your current rotors off and weigh them. I've never tried but I suspect there's a difference in weight for those too.
Thank you all for your comments. Based on these comments and others from another thread I posted about this in, I'm beginning to think that not only is it common for rotors to not be exactly the same weight, but that the weight difference that I'm seeing (~2%) may not be very significant after all. I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 08-16-2024, 10:59 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Between the molds and the machining, 3% doesn't seem excessive.

FWIW... I got some discs from Sebro that were machined poorly and pulsated right out of the box. Now I only use Zimmermens. And I've have had those crack through. For track weekends, I tote along a full set of new discs along with assorted new/old pads.
The following users liked this post:
Tier1Terrier (08-16-2024)

Quick Reply: Significant difference in rotor weights (Left vs Right) - Sebro slotted