Sponsored by:

Porsche Mobile Charger Recall APB6

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 12:53 PM
sfy1505
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Porsche Mobile Charger Recall APB6

Has anyone actually had this recall completed? I have an appointment to have this and other recalls done on my '23 GTS in a few weeks and my service advisor said to bring the entire mobile charging unit (off the wall) because it needs to be reprogrammed along with my car. Huh? I thought this was a recall to just replace the short cord and plug that attaches from the mobile charging wall unit to the wall receptacle. And Porsche even suggested purchasing a replacement cord and plug and they would reimburse you for that. Am I missing something here?
Old 08-08-2024, 01:09 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,974 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by sfy1505
Has anyone actually had this recall completed? I have an appointment to have this and other recalls done on my '23 GTS in a few weeks and my service advisor said to bring the entire mobile charging unit (off the wall) because it needs to be reprogrammed along with my car. Huh? I thought this was a recall to just replace the short cord and plug that attaches from the mobile charging wall unit to the wall receptacle. And Porsche even suggested purchasing a replacement cord and plug and they would reimburse you for that. Am I missing something here?
new cord has an embedded thermal sensor to detect high thermal operating temps - so software update is require such that the unit can now pay attention to and respond to the new thermal sensor…
the new cord also apparently has moved from 10 gauge wire to 8 gauge wire -this should help reduce the nominal operating temperatures when the vehicle is pulling a full 9.6 kW - but so far no data - some people who have received the new cable were still reporting overheating problems - but they were also reporting this during the fairly epic heat wave that was going on - again no follow up or data so far…

my personal assessment is the new cord is a "mixed bag" - it's certainly not worse than the old cord, but it does very little to turn an epically bad EVSE into a good EVSE - rather it makes suck slightly less but so far hasn't really turned the page on making the PMC+/PMCC anygood…

other people have received the new cable - it's been mixed feedback - and at least two separate people have a problem now of "temp too low" - and the EV charger (EVSE) will not operate - no word/date/feedback on resolution to those problems

if you don't want to miss anything these threads is the complete/tortured history of Porsche EVSE's in North American

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...-charging.html - later posts in this renll ist thread cover some aspects of the recall and progress to date

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...cc-pwcc.13886/

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-08-2024 at 01:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
r553 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 01:14 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I'm fairly confident the new cord w/thermal sensor + software update should help Porsche avoid problems like the one in this picture - swapping the cord updating the software however does nothing to make the PMC+/PMCC any better - it simply makes Porsche's EVSE's less dangerous and is the bare minimum they had to do to respond to their EVSE's very very unnecessarily high nominal operating temperature vs. their competitors…and adds additional complexity that we are now seeing:
  • sometimes the thermal sensor is bad and the unit will fail to operate because of "temp too low" errors - as of this posting no one has given any feedback about what was required to resolve this problem - or even if it was resolved - there are at least two customers with "bricked" PMCC's because the PMCC refuses to operate with the new cord due to a "low temperature reading" - this renders the PMCC inert and is most likely a fault with the cable - but we don't know.
  • if unit does detect high operating temps - it reduces it's charge rate to reduce thermal load and keep the cord from overheating and melting the NEMA socket - this is good from a safety point of view, less than ideal from a point of view of trying to make a departure time "full" charge - so some users are "Missing" their overnight charging window because of reduced charging speeds to keep temps in line…
    • to be fair the missing the charging window is not the PMC+/PMCC's fault -it's Porsche reliance on "departure time charging" - which requires the charge to finish "just before" you want to leave - do accomplish this the vehicle calculates the charge rate and then works backwards to a start time that will charge the car "just in time" - this calculation requires the vehicle to "know" the charge rate to do "the math" - and it also assumes the charge rate will be no slower than normal - if the PMCC has to slow downt he charging because of thermal overload - the "just in time" calculation by the vehicle is now "wrong"…
4+ years experience with two separate PMCC's has lead me to the opinioin they are utter crap EVSE's - and you're better off with a non-Porsche EVSE for your EV charging needs - the links provided lay out the history, facts, data, and conclusions…but you're welcome to disagree with me -I'm hopeless biased after 4 years of dealing with the PMCC's and have moved on - they are irredeemable in my eyes and therefore I'm a tainted source - you've been warned.

the new cable does not improve the PMC+/PMCC - but it clearly makes the PMCC less dangerous - but also adds complexity of a thermal sensor which can lead to variable charge rate during the charging session based on the sensor's thermal data

there are better EVSE's with fewer problems…for way way way less money (well not less than the $0 included PMC+, but certainly less $$ than the $1120 optional PMCC and way way less than the $3200 it takes to buy one of these POS's form Prosche for a 2nd home/location - seriously if you want another EVSE for a different location save your money and buy something else - there is 100% NO VALUE/Quality to the Porsche tax in this particular case - it is in fact an inferior product vs. alternatives that is simple worse product more money)

but the new power supply cable is s step forward and the PMC+/PMCC is less prone to melting your NEMA socket than it previously was, the PMC+/PMCC is just not necessarily any better because of these changes.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-08-2024 at 04:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (08-11-2024), tomhartzell (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,123 Posts

I was over this stupid thing the day I took delivery of my Taycan. it hasn't left the bag it was delivered in except the 2x it's been taken to the dealer for recalls, of which they still haven't fixed the damn thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spyerx:
AlexCeres (08-11-2024), daveo4porsche (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 07:09 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I was over this stupid thing the day I took delivery of my Taycan. it hasn't left the bag it was delivered in except the 2x it's been taken to the dealer for recalls, of which they still haven't fixed the damn thing.
yeah the recall is kinda pitiful - and people are complaining about "temp too low" errors - no idea what root cause is yet - likely the cable and bad sensor - and the plug-head facing the wrong way so if you have a wall mount bracket you have to twist the plug head to plug it into your NEMA 14-50/6-50 socket - the 2nd one I'm less concerned with - but at least two people got the recall done and then went home and couldn't use their PMCC to charge their Taycan because of the "temp too low" error…and no dealer/service resolution to date for that little gem

but if you're one of lucky one's and get this particular problem you're blocked from using your PMCC until your Local service advisor figures out what the fix is - software, new cable, reboot, jiggle the plug - no idea to date - could be any of those things.

pic below is one lucky's Taycan owner's experience post recall with the new cable and the software update. so much wrong with this picture below to send people home with a "blocked" EVSE or travel with this away from home and then find out it's not working when you need to charge…

at least it's not overheating anymore - so problem solved!

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-08-2024 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2024, 08:34 AM
rennlistfan
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do I need to bother with this recall as I'm on Level 1 charging?
Old 08-10-2024, 09:34 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rennlistfan
Do I need to bother with this recall as I'm on Level 1 charging?
from Porsche's own technical document…see quote I've highlighted below

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...22530-0001.pdf

General Precautions on (125V) Supply Cable Use
The “domestic” (125V) supply cable is provided for emergency use only, and should not be used by customers for daily home charging. Please discuss installation and use of a suitable 250V circuit with all customers.
you should get the recall done so the device is safe to use if you ever have opportunity/requirement to use a 240 outlet.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-10-2024 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2024, 01:09 AM
THEDOD
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

With 240 outlet with this charger how many miles are added per hour on average. With my Lucid charger I was averaging about 40 miles added per hour on home charger.
Old 08-11-2024, 01:18 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by THEDOD
With 240 outlet with this charger how many miles are added per hour on average. With my Lucid charger I was averaging about 40 miles added per hour on home charger.
miles per charge is an illusion - all 40 amp chargers on 240V circuit provide a raw 9.6 kW of AC power - as to how much 9.6 kWh (for one hour of charging time) takes you in miles that very dependent on the vehicle and driving style…

9.6 kW removes the variable of miles of range added per hour - all 40 amp 240V EVSE's provide the same amount of raw AC power based on the electrical capacity of the 120V/240V circuit

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-12-2024 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2024, 02:53 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
miles per charge is an illusion - all 40 amp chargers on 240V circuit provide a raw 9.6 kW of AC power - as to how much 9.6 kWh (for one hour of charging time) takes you in miles that very dependent on the vehicle and driving style…

9.6 kW removes the variable of miles of range added per hour - all 40 amp 240V EVSE's provide the same amount of raw AC power based on the electrical capacity of the 120V/240V circuit
the 9.6kw version 2 mobile charger? was this recall only for the 22kW version 1 charger?
Old 09-24-2024, 02:58 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboIXXI
the 9.6kw version 2 mobile charger? was this recall only for the 22kW version 1 charger?
north american Mobile charger for 9.6 kW - Porsche is replacing the NEMA 14-50/6-50 power supply cables with a beefier cable and they have added a thermal sensor to the cable so that the EVSE can throttle charging speeds (or shutdown) if the charging cable is experiencing high operating temperatures.

to date availability of the replacement cable has been "limited" - but some customers have received the new cable

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...om-wall.20728/

gory gory gory details and the nearly 4+ year history can be found here…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...cc-pwcc.13886/
The following users liked this post:
TurboIXXI (09-24-2024)
Old 09-24-2024, 03:13 PM
YHC
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

My car was in a dealership last month for this recall as well as the brake hose and they told me that they have the new charging cable.
However, when I picked it up, I was told that Porsche had put a stop sale on the replacement cable and part is no longer available.
It's mind boggling that Porsche can't produce a simple cable even with a recall.
Or, they may have to replace the whole charger thing which they don't want to do.
I guess, I will never go back there for replacement cable or charger.
Old 09-24-2024, 06:12 PM
sfy1505
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 37 Posts

I did take my '23 Taycan GTS in for this recall, the brake line recall and one other. They first said that the charging cable part was on a stop order and that they could not perform that recall. Then, while my car was in, they called back and said the part was not on stop order any longer. So, I brought home the new cable now attached to my existing charger and plugged it in. The new cable is made so that the plug prongs are turned in the opposite direction from the how the original plug prongs were positioned, facing away from the wall, so that I had to twist it 180 degrees to be able to plug it into the receptacle into the wall. First, the charger said it was too hot and I needed to adjust the ampacity lower. I waited an hour and restarted charging and it seemed OK. The difference I can see in the new set up is that the cable is not as warm while charging (because of it's bigger wire size) and that it is charging at a slower speed and therefor took longer. I've only used it once, so we'll see if it's any different next time, but I doubt that it will be.

My brake lines were replaced in that recall and now my brakes feel "squishy." Another trip to the service department.
Old 09-24-2024, 06:18 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I did take my '23 Taycan GTS in for this recall, the brake line recall and one other. They first said that the charging cable part was on a stop order and that they could not perform that recall. Then, while my car was in, they called back and said the part was not on stop order any longer. So, I brought home the new cable now attached to my existing charger and plugged it in. The new cable is made so that the plug prongs are turned in the opposite direction from the how the original plug prongs were positioned, facing away from the wall, so that I had to twist it 180 degrees to be able to plug it into the receptacle into the wall. First, the charger said it was too hot and I needed to adjust the ampacity lower. I waited an hour and restarted charging and it seemed OK. The difference I can see in the new set up is that the cable is not as warm while charging (because of it's bigger wire size) and that it is charging at a slower speed and therefor took longer. I've only used it once, so we'll see if it's any different next time, but I doubt that it will be.

My brake lines were replaced in that recall and now my brakes feel "squishy." Another trip to the service department.
you should not have to turn down the charging speed for the EVSE to function - Porsche's EVSE game is comically bad…
Old Yesterday, 04:00 AM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Is there any other way to tell which cable is old vs new?

my new macan came with the cable prongs face out direction which is supposed to be the new version but
the label is dated 04-2023

Last edited by TurboIXXI; Yesterday at 04:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Porsche Mobile Charger Recall APB6