Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody here rebuilt their Tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2024, 04:00 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 531 Posts
Default Anybody here rebuilt their Tiptronic?

I have a lot of information from the BMW side of things for rebuilding the ZF 5HP19 but having started disassembly, it's immediately obvious that the DIYs I've found online will deviate from the Porsche flavor of the 5 speed automatic.

Has anyone here gone down this road and found solid documentation for the rebuild process? I was able to find a ZF document that outlines the processes for how to remove and replace components, but it's not completely clear if everything has to be removed for replacing the clutch packs, for example. I'd like to be the least intrusive possible, since I've never done this before and would like to disturb as little as possible. It will already be a lot of disturbance, I'm realistic about that, but hopefully you catch my drift.

Any guidance would be appreciated, if someone has done this themselves.

Cheers
Old 08-07-2024, 05:39 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

I've rebuilt many American cars auto trans and from what I've seen/read I wouldn't rebuild a ZF. Just find one with not so many miles on it from a junkyard and swap. You'll thank me later...
Old 08-07-2024, 10:04 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 531 Posts

Too late, I've already dived in! From what I can see on the YouTube videos the major jig that is needed to release the steels and clutch discs can be made pretty easily, which I plan to do. I have the rebuild kit already so I figure I'll give it a shot. If things get really out of hand, my thinking is that, indeed, I'll bite the bullet and just find a good used part.

I'm really hot and cold on whether or not I'll be able to do this but with the trans out and on a lifting table, I'm over a pretty big hurdle, so I guess I'll see what there is to see.

At some point, I'll post a DIY with all the pictures I'm taking along the way, provided I'm successful.

Cheers
The following 2 users liked this post by Zirconocene:
Cemlo (08-08-2024), sasilverbullet (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 11:43 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
Too late, I've already dived in! From what I can see on the YouTube videos the major jig that is needed to release the steels and clutch discs can be made pretty easily, which I plan to do. I have the rebuild kit already so I figure I'll give it a shot. If things get really out of hand, my thinking is that, indeed, I'll bite the bullet and just find a good used part.

I'm really hot and cold on whether or not I'll be able to do this but with the trans out and on a lifting table, I'm over a pretty big hurdle, so I guess I'll see what there is to see.

At some point, I'll post a DIY with all the pictures I'm taking along the way, provided I'm successful.

Cheers
Yes! DIY with pics! Would love that!
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM
Cloggie.
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
I have a lot of information from the BMW side of things for rebuilding the ZF 5HP19 but having started disassembly, it's immediately obvious that the DIYs I've found online will deviate from the Porsche flavor of the 5 speed automatic.

Has anyone here gone down this road and found solid documentation for the rebuild process? I was able to find a ZF document that outlines the processes for how to remove and replace components, but it's not completely clear if everything has to be removed for replacing the clutch packs, for example. I'd like to be the least intrusive possible, since I've never done this before and would like to disturb as little as possible. It will already be a lot of disturbance, I'm realistic about that, but hopefully you catch my drift.

Any guidance would be appreciated, if someone has done this themselves.

Cheers
no picture ?

Quick Reply: Anybody here rebuilt their Tiptronic?