Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What Diagnostic Tool are you guys using?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 11:22 AM
Vapordan
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts
Default What Diagnostic Tool are you guys using?

Need one that can both read and write Cayenne 9Y0 2020, also should be able to do Mercedes Benz. I'm on a budget.
I did purchase a cheap one that did not work, so before wasting more time, here I am.

Last edited by Vapordan; 07-30-2024 at 11:23 AM. Reason: car spec
Old 07-30-2024, 11:36 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,095 Posts

iCarsoft CR Max.
Old 07-30-2024, 01:03 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 566 Likes on 382 Posts

I am using iCarSoft Pro.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 09:43 PM
matthewr87
Racer

Received 280 Likes on 181 Posts

Another vote for iCarsoft CR Pro. Check ebay for some deals. Bought one recently for $145.
chassis (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 07:58 PM
BobEisenberg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I was in the same boat as you, @Vapordan having bought a 2020 Cayenne in April. Not too many choices for OBD2 devices for 9Y0 Cayennes, nor authoritative posts about DIYers’ experiences with them.

I ended up buying the iCarsoft CR Max for about $400 on Amazon. The reviews on the brand are mixed. I think the CR Max works on a greater range of brands than the CR PRO (might be helpful for your Benz) but the CR Max may have less functionality on your Porsche than the CR PRO. I was frustrated that there is very little info on what each of these units will or won’t do on my car.

That said, I’ve not done my first oil change yet to use the device to reset the maintenance indicator. I did, however, fire the unit up and I was pretty impressed with it. Pretty intuitive to use. Pretty quick scans of all systems. And it has functionality that none of my previous OBD2 tools have. For instance, I was able to activate (operate) the back door window using the device. I’ve got an issue with the sunshade on that window and found that the device could open the window but not the shade. I think the device helps narrow down whether the problem lies in the control unit vs the shade’s motor. The device surely does a lot more that I may never use or understand but it seems there is a lot there.

So, not cheap, but first impressions of the CR Max are favorable. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by BobEisenberg:
chassis (07-31-2024), Vapordan (09-11-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 08:14 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobEisenberg
I was in the same boat as you, @Vapordan having bought a 2020 Cayenne in April. Not too many choices for OBD2 devices for 9Y0 Cayennes, nor authoritative posts about DIYers’ experiences with them.

I ended up buying the iCarsoft CR Max for about $400 on Amazon. The reviews on the brand are mixed. I think the CR Max works on a greater range of brands than the CR PRO (might be helpful for your Benz) but the CR Max may have less functionality on your Porsche than the CR PRO. I was frustrated that there is very little info on what each of these units will or won’t do on my car.

That said, I’ve not done my first oil change yet to use the device to reset the maintenance indicator. I did, however, fire the unit up and I was pretty impressed with it. Pretty intuitive to use. Pretty quick scans of all systems. And it has functionality that none of my previous OBD2 tools have. For instance, I was able to activate (operate) the back door window using the device. I’ve got an issue with the sunshade on that window and found that the device could open the window but not the shade. I think the device helps narrow down whether the problem lies in the control unit vs the shade’s motor. The device surely does a lot more that I may never use or understand but it seems there is a lot there.

So, not cheap, but first impressions of the CR Max are favorable. Good luck!
Specifically which functions are missing on the CR Max which are present on the CR Pro?
Old 07-31-2024, 08:22 PM
BobEisenberg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chassis
Specifically which functions are missing on the CR Max which are present on the CR Pro?
That's the $64K question that really frustrated me. You can’t find that documented anywhere. I based my comment on possible reduced functionality based on 2 things:
1. A distributor’s YouTube video that reviewed the 4 or 5 different iCarsoft models and their functions. I think they described the CR Pro as having the greatest functionality for Porsches of all the models. They went on to say that the CR Max works with the greatest variety manufacturers/brands.

2. A comment on the forum that the CR Max may work with the widest range of cars but the poster made a point of saying that this didn’t necessarily mean it has the most capabilities for Porsches.
Old 07-31-2024, 08:23 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobEisenberg
That's the $64K question that really frustrated me. You can’t find that documented anywhere. I based my comment on possible reduced functionality based on 2 things:
1. A distributor’s YouTube video that reviewed the 4 or 5 different iCarsoft models and their functions. I think they described the CR Pro as having the greatest functionality for Porsches of all the models. They went on to say that the CR Max works with the greatest variety manufacturers/brands.

2. A comment on the forum that the CR Max may work with the widest range of cars but the poster made a point of saying that this didn’t necessarily mean it has the most capabilities for Porsches.
Thanks. And inconclusive.
Old 07-31-2024, 08:29 PM
BobEisenberg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chassis
Thanks. And inconclusive.
Correct. Goes back to the stated lack of authoritative info on these devices. That’s part of my frustration. But a guy has to change his oil and reset the service indicator so I made the most educated bet I could as to which device would suit my overall needs best (with your recommendation, @chassis ) and bought the CR Max. So far, I’ve not been disappointed, but it’s early yet.
chassis (09-19-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 10:18 AM
BobEisenberg
Intermediate

… and I just saw another YouTube video yesterday from the same distributor stating the the iCarsoft CR Max and the CR Pro Plus are functionally identical. The only differences are that the Max can function as a standalone Android tablet (e.g. to surf the web) and it’s rechargeable so it doesn’t need to be plugged into power to work on your vehicle. The Pro Plus is only a diagnostic tool that can’t be used as a tablet and it must be plugged into a power source to work on your car.

The video was referring to the CR Pro Plus. Not sure if this is the same as the CR Pro. It does, at least, make one wonder whether it’s worth spending the extra money for the CR Max. It very well may not be. Again, not much authoritative information to work with and, I will say, a confusing array of different models for iCarsoft devices.
Old 09-19-2024, 09:36 PM
Vapordan
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Ordered the CR Max. Total price $393. Still expect boarder fees.
chassis (09-19-2024)

Quick Reply: What Diagnostic Tool are you guys using?