Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone help with this noise.

Search this Thread

Old Today, 01:06 PM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Can someone help with this noise.

I bought this Cayenne $500. PO said it did not run. His mechanic told him to get a new engine. When I got it I stuck a new battery in it. I hit the key and it fired right up but it makes some noise. I realize that the air pumps are disconnected but they would not cause this sound. The only code I am seeing is multiple misfires on #3. I have connected it to an analyzer but I cannot find anything that sticks out. I have a spare motor so I can replace it if I need to, but this is just a toy for me so if I can make this noise go away, I would prefer that over swapping the engine.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_9161.mov (13.16 MB, 7 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_9162.mov (17.62 MB, 10 views)
Old Today, 05:38 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Klaird928
I bought this Cayenne $500. PO said it did not run. His mechanic told him to get a new engine. When I got it I stuck a new battery in it. I hit the key and it fired right up but it makes some noise. I realize that the air pumps are disconnected but they would not cause this sound. The only code I am seeing is multiple misfires on #3. I have connected it to an analyzer but I cannot find anything that sticks out. I have a spare motor so I can replace it if I need to, but this is just a toy for me so if I can make this noise go away, I would prefer that over swapping the engine.
Stick a scope down the spark plug holes and take a look at the cylinder walls. The pitch sounds higher than what I've previously heard described as bore scoring, but that might be the recording. If the cylinder walls look clean, it might be a lifter or something else in the valvetrain. It sounded like the noise went away when you revved the engine a bit.
Old Today, 05:56 PM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

That is my plan to run the bore scope down the cylinders. The second video is at idle. It sounds like an old tractor under the hood. The PO said he was driving it and it just started running rough. I don’t know if the shop he took it to tried to adjust the valves or something like that. The engine looked like it had been into. The intake manifold has the signs of being from a junkyard. The shop had it for two months and then told the guy they were closing and he needed to come get it. He said the shop had a sign that said “we work on foreign cars” LOL
Old Today, 07:36 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Klaird928
That is my plan to run the bore scope down the cylinders. The second video is at idle. It sounds like an old tractor under the hood. The PO said he was driving it and it just started running rough. I don’t know if the shop he took it to tried to adjust the valves or something like that. The engine looked like it had been into. The intake manifold has the signs of being from a junkyard. The shop had it for two months and then told the guy they were closing and he needed to come get it. He said the shop had a sign that said “we work on foreign cars” LOL
Haha, sounds like a mess, but for $500, no worries. What year and model is it? You could try the old school mechanics stethoscope method to isolate the location of the noise (long screwdriver handle to ear, touch stuff).

Last edited by BobcatBrian; Today at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Can someone help with this noise.