Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 '84 fuel sending unit repaired!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2024, 05:42 PM
Greg_P
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 '84 fuel sending unit repaired!

I'm the original owner of a '84 944 NA that has had a problem of the fuel gauge being erratic for several years. The gauge needle would jump around a bit, and when the tank was full the gauge didn't read full, and when the gauge said empty there was still fuel in the tank. Fortunately, the low fuel light worked properly. I recently ran across a YouTube video ("Porsche 924/944 Fuel Gauge Repair" by edredas) that showed me how to pull the fuel sending unit and clean the float and the gauge circuit wires. Yesterday I decided to follow the process. It worked! The gauge works great now! There was no obvious corrosion or gunk but cleaning with brake cleaner did the trick. The video shows how to modify a flat blade screwdriver to make a special tool to remove the nut at the bottom of the sending unit cylinder. I wouldn't have known how to do that. That tool is probably available from Porsche for $150. I"m pleased with the results.
Old 07-22-2024, 01:51 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I did this to my fuel gauge just the other day and it worked a treat. It’s such a delicate mechanism I couldn’t see how it would be $100.

Quick Reply: 944 '84 fuel sending unit repaired!