Pre purchase inspection: hallmarks on front wings

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2024, 11:55 AM
Gengis
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pre purchase inspection: hallmarks on front wings

Dear all,

I'd like to buy a 997 GT3 Mk.1 and will see one next week. I have been told that I can see if front wings are original ("accident free") by checking if a mark (kind of hallmark) is visible in the wheel well. Correct me if "hallmark" is not the right term.

This mark was put by the worker in Porsche factory when the car was assembled and is missing if front wings have been replaced. This mark is supposed to be easy to see once front wheel removed, but can anyone confirm and ideally send a picture of what it is supposed to look like ? I don't want to miss it and jump to false conclusions if I don't see it.

Thanks !
Old 07-20-2024, 11:59 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,074 Likes on 2,107 Posts

Have not heard of this. But maybe someone else can confirm.

I would be less concerned about a fender being replaced and instead being repainted. For that, get a paint meter and check thickness of paint. Expect 4-6mills (100-150 microns) depending on the color. Even if there's clear film on the front of the car you can just add about 8 mills to the thickness, so you'd be looking at a total thickness of 12 mills.

You can also check if the bolts have been turned/have tool marks on them for where the fender is bolted onto the body of the car. Best of luck.
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM
Gengis
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to do that.

Another question (which has to do with the pre purchase inspection but not with fender so a moderator may want to change the title): I received this photo, which show the car number VIN on the windshield. The characters are floating, have you seen that before ?

Thanks !
Old Today, 07:20 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,074 Likes on 2,107 Posts

Yes, I’ve seen this before.

Quick Reply: Pre purchase inspection: hallmarks on front wings