Sponsored by: Road Spy

Centerlock Ebay rims review -- Iconisus

Search this Thread

Old Today, 08:20 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Centerlock Ebay rims review -- Iconisus

Yupp, I wanted to go out on a limb and review these. I generally don't cheap out on things but I was intrigued and had a nice opportunity since they are going on my 991.2 salvage rebuild -- If all else fails, I can always get some big boy wheels later, so don't flame me!!

I originally thought I could get away with taking the OEM rims to a shop to be repaired, but 2 of the 4 weren't able to be saved, so I needed to either buy 2 new OEM rims or go aftermarket. 2 OEM rims were ~$2000 so I decided to shop around. Keep in mind, I just had a kid 2 mths ago and told my wife I'd stay within budget (she believed me LOL) so I really didn't have much room to spare... I 100% did NOT think I'd need to be getting wheels out of all things. I wanted to get BBS FI-R's but would have blown my budget wide open. All the repairs on the car thus far were ~5k so spending double that on wheels alone didn't make sense. Shot over to ebay and found sets of the OEM rims for 3-4k, but also ran across these "Iconisus" rims. They looked like knockoff BBS FI-Rs, minus a few holes. They are the stock sizes/offsets -- 20x9 20x11.5. I did some sleuthing on who was involved with the company, contacted the seller, and came up with a deal which helped me out a bunch. The deal also involved powder coating with a color of my choice. I wanted the platinum that the BBS come in, but we ended up settling on a lightly metallic silver. Paid on Monday afternoon, rims were already getting painted Tuesday and done by Friday. Got shipped out the next Monday and I got them today (Friday). Kirk, the owner, was in constant contact and usually got back to me fairly quickly.

They look good! I did a test fit and are pretty much what I was looking for. I wont get them mounted/balanced until Monday but look nice! There are a few minor nibs in the powder coating on a couple of the wheels but nothing major. Upon weighing them, the fronts are ~21lbs and the rears ~25lbs.

After I get them on the car I plan on daily'ing it, so they will definitely have to stand up to NJ roads (I'll probably get a winter set of rims, so minus a few mths of use). If anything pops up I'll be sure to update the thread!

If anyone has any questions Ill try and answer them. This post might help someone who doesn't want to spend 8-11k on wheels and needs something in a pinch or even just for a spare set. Check out the pics below (and ignore the tape on the door, was doing some wet sanding/buffing and didn't want to hit the wrong areas) !!
Attached Images      

Last edited by Muuhaha; Today at 08:55 PM.
Old Today, 08:34 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 898 Posts

They look really nice!
Old Today, 09:05 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
They look really nice!
I think so! Can't wait to see them on the car, on the ground.

Only thing I can't verify is the validity of them being forged or not. I'm assuming you can stamp forged on anything haha. The weight has them heavier than the BBS FI-R by 3-4 lbs, but those have bigger/more holes too, so they would definitely be lighter....3lbs lighter? Not sure. I'm pretty satisfied this far regardless, it'd just be nice to know for sure.
​​
Old Today, 10:35 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I have no idea how to tell if they’re cast or forged. The only thing that gives me something to question is the lip or seam shown in your closeup photo. My wheels are forged and I don’t have anything like that. It may be nothing, but it’s my only question.
Old Today, 10:39 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

I have no idea how to tell if they’re cast or forged. The only thing that gives me something to question is the lip or seam shown in your closeup photo. My wheels are forged and I don’t have anything like that. It may be nothing, but it’s my only question.
Are you referring to the area around the centerhole?
Old Today, 10:48 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

That and a few other areas where it appears that there is a seam, so maybe the wheel is made of different parts that were bonded together. It might just be the photos. Maybe it was machined that way. Again - I am not saying they aren’t forged. It could just be the wheel design. I simply haven’t seen seam lines like that.
Old Today, 11:01 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

That and a few other areas where it appears that there is a seam, so maybe the wheel is made of different parts that were bonded together. It might just be the photos. Maybe it was machined that way. Again - I am not saying they aren’t forged. It could just be the wheel design. I simply haven’t seen seam lines like that.
Here are a few more pics of that area and others -- it's not really any seams (unless I'm missing something), it's just contours in the rim. There's also a division where the powdercoating ends and the machined hole begins

Quick Reply: Centerlock Ebay rims review -- Iconisus