Sponsored By:

958 Cayenne Turbo Market Snapshot

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
boldish
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 958 Cayenne Turbo Market Snapshot

I'm in the process of looking for a 958 Cayenne Turbo to purchase and for my own research went through all the 2011-2018 Cayenne Turbos which are available to purchase in the continental United States. I did not include Turbo S's in my investigation as I generally found that they did not represent a good value in comparison to similar mileage Turbos for my own preferences. I figured some people may be interested in the result so I figured I would share.

There were 84 Cayenne Turbos which I cataloged which I found from both Autotrader and from CarGuru. Obviously there will be more Cayenne Turbos for sale via private sellers or elsewhere not on these platforms, but I still think this is a large enough sample size to draw some interesting conclusions.

Of these vehicles...
27 were 958.2 Cayenne Turbos (~32%)
57 were 958.1 Cayenne Turbos or (~68%)
72 were either White, Black, or Grey/Silver (~86%)
41 had a black leather interior (~49%)
29 had some sort of brown leather interior (light/dark/two tone brown) (~35%)
37 had Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) (44%)
31 are 958.1s AND had ACC (~54% of the 958.1s)
6 are 958.2s AND had ACC (~22% of the 958.2s)
16 had PDCC (~19%)
14 are 958.1s AND had PDCC (~25% of the 958.1s)
2 are 958.2s AND had PDCC (~7% of the 958.2s)
26 had Burmeister sound system (~31%)
21 are 9581.s AND had Burmeister (~37% of the 958.1s)
5 are 958.2s AND had Burmeister (~19% of the 958.2s)

958.2s had an average price of $45,036 and a median list price of $41,750.
958.2s had an average mileage of 68,766 miles and a median mileage of 68,468.
958.1s had an average price of $24,434 and a median list price of $23,700.
958.1s had an average mileage of 108,632 and a median mileage of 106,248.

From this I have a couple key takeaways for my own search.
Disclaimers: These are takeaways may not be relevant to the market in the future as pricing and available are subject to change. These conclusions are based on a small sample size considering the total number of 958 Cayenne Turbos which exist in the US. I could be wrong about some of the conclusions made below as to the packages as I'm by no means an expert. Less desirable cars will sit on a lot for longer and are more likely to be included as a part of this list of available cars.
1. If you want to find a car that isn't White, Black, or Grey/Silver, well... good luck. Blue / Umber / Gold are rare to find and I'm sure even rarer to find with the options you want.
2. If you want an interior that isn't a black leather or some kind of brown leather, well.... good luck. ~83% of cars have full black, brown, or brown two tone interior.
3. ACC (a must have option for me) is almost non-existent in the 958.2s available for sale. I believe this is due to the fact that it was included 'Premium Package Plus' in the 958.1s and then removed from the comparable Premium package in the 958.2s with ACC needing to be specific added on individually. Porsche being Porsche.
4. PDCC (a nice to have option for me) is also non-existent in the 958.2s available for sale. I also believe this may be related to packages changing between the 958.1 and the 958.2. The "Sport Package" or whatever it's called in the 958.1s included PDCC and PTV+ and the 'Sport Package' in the 958.2 basically added Sport Chrono and the Sport exhaust I believe? Perhaps Porsche was pushing people who wanted PDCC to the Turbo S.
5. Burmeister had better availability in the 958.2s, but still below where it should be proportionally compared to the 958.1s.
5. Old cars with more miles cost less. Well, duh, I suppose. But if you compare a 958.1 with 110k miles to a 958.2 with 70k which both have good service records and maintenance history, is the 958.2 really worth roughly double the price?

Hope you found this interesting, I certainly did. While this is just a small sample size at a specific point in time, it is at least reflective the options for what someone like myself currently has in the used 958 Porsche Cayenne Turbo market.

Edit: Created some graphs of the data in this reply. Adding them here as well.

Last edited by boldish; Today at 04:55 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice analysis. Some months ago when I was looking for a Cayenne, I scanned available listings and made graphs of asking price vs mileage. Graphs below.
Generally not great sample sizes but better than nothing. I did this because I had been looking at higher mileage ones because they are cheaper, but still wanted to know if they were "in line" with expectations.

I ended up getting a 2016 CTTS with 143K miles for about $33K. Yes it's a crapshoot, but what a machine. It has all those options ACC, PDCC, Burmester, so I am getting spoiled..

Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 181 Posts

Interesting findings. I have a .1 turbo and absolutely love it. It hasn't, however, kept me from looking somewhat regularly for a similar car with lower mileage than mine. It has been frustrating to find one in the right color with the right options so I concur with your conclusions. What it has done is remind me how lucky I was to find mine with all the options it has and that I should just drive it until the wheels fall off of it.
Old Today, 04:37 AM
boldish
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
Graphs below.
You have motivated me to create some graphs

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
I ended up getting a 2016 CTTS with 143K miles for about $33K. Yes it's a crapshoot, but what a machine. It has all those options ACC, PDCC, Burmester, so I am getting spoiled..
ACC + PDCC + Burmeister is a very nice combo.
958.1s and 958.2s which have ACC generally have a higher chance to also have LCA, Entry and Drive, Backup Camera, and seat ventilation.
Thermal/noise insulated glass is appealing to me, especially when combined with Burmeister.

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Interesting findings. I have a .1 turbo and absolutely love it. It hasn't, however, kept me from looking somewhat regularly for a similar car with lower mileage than mine. It has been frustrating to find one in the right color with the right options so I concur with your conclusions. What it has done is remind me how lucky I was to find mine with all the options it has and that I should just drive it until the wheels fall off of it.
I'm a fan of physical buttons so the 3rd Gen Cayennes aren't very appealing. 958.1s and 958.2s really aren't too different when considering the Turbo, although they aren't identical.
The fact that there were 5 958.1s over 150,000 miles is a example of the potential longevity of the car. If only we had statistics on the average maintenance cost of these cars over the past 5 years...

Last edited by boldish; Today at 04:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 958 Cayenne Turbo Market Snapshot