Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTEK error... is it the charger or battery?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts
Default CTEK error... is it the charger or battery?

Sometimes when I go out and look at the charger, all the lights are on, and the green battery light, and it's happy happy.

Other times I'll see that the red error light is on.

No rhyme or reason.

I used to have positive connected to battery terminal, and negative to body ground, but I've since moved negative to battery terminal. And just went out and saw the red error light.

The car gets driven every few days, but I've gotten in the habit of checking the charger/lights a few hours after connecting the charger, just to see if it's working as I expect. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I believe the battery is original to the car, but it checked out fine at the PPI, and it starts every time no sweat.

So, whatcha think?

Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

I have heard about these ctek light issues for years.

Why I decided to buy something different.
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I have heard about these ctek light issues for years.

Why I decided to buy something different.
yah i saw in the "recommendation" thread that you have the NOCO one. Certainly thinking about it at this point.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM
99-911
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

when you have the red error light with stage 1 light on , there is a problem with the connection.
when you have the red error light with stage 2 light on , the battery is not accepting the charge.
when you have the red error light with stage 5 light on , the battery is not holding the charge.

Last edited by 99-911; Yesterday at 08:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

This is what the manual says:

Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM
Jpbarnlight
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 38 Posts

I know this makes absolutely no sense, but I had an issue with my CTEK when I had a very long extension cord.

It would make lots of clicking noises and give me some weird lights at times.

Pulled my car into the garage in the other direction, no extension cord, right to the outlet and it never gave me a problem again.

I guess I would have to attribute it to a drop in voltage over a long distance, but still still strange.
Old Today, 12:05 AM
Explorer16
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Maybe the issue is the charger setting? Should be on AGM mode? I don't know if it makes a difference.
Old Today, 04:16 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 227 Posts

The charger should be displaying both Vehicle and AGM. In my experience the Ctek can display an error when it’s actually charging correctly. It has a five year warranty, take it back and exchange
Old Today, 09:43 AM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

thanks for the responses...

yeah, connection is fine. I've checked. It's securely fastened to battery, and I'm using the quick connect clip. Like I said, sometimes it's fine, sometimes I get the red error light. (With Stage one light on.)

No extension cord being used... well, wait, it is connected to a commercial power strip on my garage workbench. Maybe there's something to that? (But i've always used it that way.) I will test.

I have it in regular mode, not AGM. I thought the stock battery was a regular battery? (That's what I've always assumed, ya?)

I did send CTEK support a message. We'll see what happens.

Like an impulsive nut, I did order the NOCO one last night and I already received it. Connected it and seems like it's happy happy. It was only $69, so i figured what the heck. Whatever one I don't use here, I'll use with the Miata.
Old Today, 09:48 AM
jimmiejam
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

I have been using Ctek's since 1996 when they sent me a 12v and 6v for a beta test. I currently have 4 in use. The two MSX-5.0's are on my 911 and my C8. I have never had an issue over the decades with them even the "simple" versions.. You might have issues using a long extension cord. Always disconnect the unit before detaching from the battery. Always attach to the battery before plugging the unit in. The 911 is set for AGM and the C8 and others are set for wet cell. Even through power outages that we can have here in S FLA I have never had any issues from power surges. I have also "tried" others over the years but use Ctek exclusively. Your results may vary....FWIW.

Last edited by jimmiejam; Today at 09:51 AM.
Old Today, 09:51 AM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimmiejam
The 911 is set for AGM
well, maybe that's the thing. I just did a quick search and it's an AGM battery. I will change the mode and continue testing.
The following users liked this post:
jimmiejam (Today)
Old Today, 10:27 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 222 Posts

In my case, there is a permanent connection to the battery that terminates at the windshield wiper area. Periodically have to use an abrasive on the contact due to oxide/contamination.
Old Today, 10:44 AM
jimmiejam
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
In my case, there is a permanent connection to the battery that terminates at the windshield wiper area. Periodically have to use an abrasive on the contact due to oxide/contamination.
Use dielectric grease on that and other connections and you won't have this issue. Simple solution....
Old Today, 07:29 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tiiger
well, maybe that's the thing. I just did a quick search and it's an AGM battery. I will change the mode and continue testing.
might be too early to be conclusive, but I think making sure it's in AGM mode might be the thing. No errors in that mode so far.

Quick Reply: CTEK error... is it the charger or battery?