Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took me about 27 years... but the 911 is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old Today, 07:05 AM
AndreSilva
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Took me about 27 years... but the 911 is finally here!

I was around 13 years old when I was playing Porsche Challenge on my PlayStation 1... for the young ones here: that was a game made to introduce the Boxster in the market in 1996/1997. In the game there was a video showing how the car was designed, take a look

That was when I fell in love with Porsche, at that time, the Boxster was the only Porsche I knew, I had never seen a Porsche in real life(I was born and raised in South America, not many rich people there at the time).
Throughout the years and once I got access to the internet (around 14 or 15 years old), I started researching more and learning about the brand history, and as expected, I fell in love with the 911.

I saw the first one in real life around 2003, it was a 996 Carrera S and I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen!
Then a few years later I watched the 997 commercial with the boy... you know... the best car commercial ever made:
By the way, does anyone have this video in a better quality?

Fast forward a few (many) years later, I moved to Europe when I was 32 and knew that eventually I would get one, but I didn't really start to plan it seriously until I was 38. I had money to buy before, but it was just not a good financial decision at the time, now I had money to spend on a toy.
I wanted a 992, but that was too expensive for me, so I decided to make my younger dream true and get a 997 just like the one from the boy in the commercial.

About a month ago, at the age of 39 and right before the midlife crisis, I got a 2005 997 Carrera S and I can't express how much in love I am!!! It's naturally aspirated, rear-wheel drive with a manual transmission, just like I always wanted. I learned to drive in a manual and all my cars in my first 10 years of driving were manuals, so this one had to be a manual too. I like the turbo wheels, but I would prefer the lobster ones, maybe I'll get that as a winter set.

I followed all the 911 releases since the 996, so I knew exactly what each generation would give me and all the known issues. I'll make another post about this, but I made an extensive preventive service on it to mitigate/prevent the infamous IMS problem, bore scoring and to keep the car in perfect condition.

For the young ones here: Be patient, when your time comes it will feel extra special. I don't come from money, I had never driven a Porsche until I bought this one, I wish I had a camera to record the size of my smile during my first drive, I'll remember that feeling for the rest of my life.
Of course, I would love to have a modern one like a 992 GT3 RS or a Turbo S in the future, but if on the day I die, this had been the only 911 I have ever driven, I would die with a smile on my face

Paraphrasing the 997 commercial: "It's a funny thing about a Porsche, there's the moment you know you want one, there's the moment you first own one and for the truly afflicted, there's the decade or two that passes in between"

Last edited by AndreSilva; Today at 07:07 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AndreSilva:
BillB128 (Today), david (Today), Graufuchs (Today)
Old Today, 07:16 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 964 Posts

Congratulations!!!!
Old Today, 07:51 AM
Carlos911
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done, one you had had one you always want to go back to them.
I am on my 4th now over a 25 yr period first one bought when I was 35, every time I got a 911 people said "mid life crisis eh" bought my latest (GTS) last year !
At what age is it not a mid life crisis ?
Old Today, 08:17 AM
AndreSilva
AutoX

Originally Posted by EVOMMM
Congratulations!!!!
Thanks man!
Old Today, 08:27 AM
AndreSilva
AutoX

Originally Posted by Carlos911
At what age is it not a mid life crisis ?
Hahahahha... you got a point there!
My midlife crisis started at 25 probably
Old Today, 08:38 AM
Jeroen//997
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Proficiat!
Old Today, 08:56 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,281 Likes on 476 Posts

Congrats on the 997, I agree the 911 is such a fantastic car that far exceeds its numbers on paper with its driving experience.

Quick Reply: Took me about 27 years... but the 911 is finally here!