Should I buy a 958?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
smp9651
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I buy a 958?

Hey everyone,

I have come to the point in life where I am thinking about finally moving on from my first car, a, '01 325xi, @ 240,XXX.
Every few months I have been finding myself replacing something, costing $500-$800 each time, with the most recent costing $2k in parts. I do perform all of the work on my own so it doesn't break the bank terribly, but the annoyance is there.

I have been looking at SUVs as a good family option that will become a third car in a few years - hoping to get back to the sedan life.
Seems like for the money, a used cayenne is the best value/quality vehicle that you could buy on the market. It also seems like it could hold some value later on as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations on models that I should be pursuing/avoiding? As of right now, I am thinking of a 2015 diesel.
Are there major services that need to be performed at certain milage that could pile up $$$ wise?

Any advice would be great!
The following users liked this post:
mdistel (Today)
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 779 Likes on 556 Posts

Porsche's are expensive, they're not going be cheap.
The following users liked this post:
Lox of the Lake (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
Tarek9xx
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with Shuga. Probably approx 3 X more than your BMW. I think your decision should have to do a lot with the amount of work you're willing to do on your own. Anything with more than 60k miles is prone to expensive short trips to the dealer. If you're not a DIY person, shoot for the lowest mileage possible, though still not a failsafe approach to avoid repairs. In general, the most Porsche you can afford is likely to be the cheaper alternative in the long run from a maintenance/repair perspective.

But if you're willing to agonize through workshop manuals and scream regularly at Porsche engineers for decisions they purposely made for sending you on a wild goose chase and ruining your weekend as you turn your own wrenches, you'll save significantly. And for that, you'd have to invest in some specialized tools for truly minimizing maintenance/repair costs. Something as simple as safely raising the car up on jacks can turn into an experience of re-learning everything from scratch or having to buy more tools.

That said, it's definitely all worth it when you experience driving it....and that's why we're here

Also, read-up as much as possible in the forums, and best of luck to you!

Last edited by Tarek9xx; Yesterday at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Today, 01:09 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,719 Posts

They are great cars and very dependable. The most important thing is to get a car with ZERO deferred maintenance. Don't trust what anyone tells you, make sure those service records are verified with receipts. Period!
Old Today, 08:17 AM
mdistel
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I've owned multiple e36, e46 and an e39. At 70k they became needy, suspension worn out, noisy belt pullies, front axle on XI etc. That was 10 years ago and one of them was my Dad's 2001 325xi touring that he bought new, cared for well but at 10 years old and 110k mi was a headache. Yours being over 20 years old and really high mileage is a project.

In contrast I purchased my 2009 cayenne with 69k in 2014 and now have 150k. It has been rock solid. We've had our 2016 base Cayenne almost 2 years and are glad we bought it CPO as a few things have been fixed but I expect it to also be very dependable and intend to keep.

Old Today, 08:46 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by mdistel
I've owned multiple e36, e46 and an e39. At 70k they became needy, suspension worn out, noisy belt pullies, front axle on XI etc. That was 10 years ago and one of them was my Dad's 2001 325xi touring that he bought new, cared for well but at 10 years old and 110k mi was a headache. Yours being over 20 years old and really high mileage is a project.

In contrast I purchased my 2009 cayenne with 69k in 2014 and now have 150k. It has been rock solid. We've had our 2016 base Cayenne almost 2 years and are glad we bought it CPO as a few things have been fixed but I expect it to also be very dependable and intend to keep.
2009 is ah good year.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 958?