Notices
Macan EV Discuss the 2024 Porsche Macan EV
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Impressions of Frozen Blue Metallic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 06:29 PM
digli
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Impressions of Frozen Blue Metallic?

Now that images and videos are available showing a real-life Frozen Blue Metallic Macan, are any of you that had spec'd the Frozen Blue now having second thoughts? Or do the images reinforce your choice? Any new converts to Frozen Blue?

I know the colour has been around for a while with the Taycan but not all colours suit all body shapes (of course entirely subjective). I personally think the colour looks fantastic on the Taycan CT but I'm on the fence as to whether it suits the Macan.
Old 07-17-2024, 09:12 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 348 Posts

Frozen Blue for us on our Turbo. In person on the Taycan, and looks great in the Macan EV videos. We are in.
The following users liked this post:
TC Cruising (07-21-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 09:45 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 312 Posts

When I visited PECLA last month, they had Macan EV's in most colors except not in frozen blue. They did have a frozen blue Taycan, and I have also seen around where I work. It is a good color. I have a thing for a blue cars right now, so it was not a tough decision for me.

Car and Driver has a few photos.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...wd-4s-details/
tmrqs (07-18-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 11:19 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

There is a Porsche series of high quality eight pictures of a Frozen Blue Metallic at the link. I LOVE it but my wife dislikes it. But since we are both Gentian Blue fans, that will be ours.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2024...ric-36836.html

Here’s one of the eight.

Last edited by TC Cruising; 07-17-2024 at 11:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TC Cruising:
Jeff Whitten (07-18-2024), tmrqs (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 01:27 AM
mikeright
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for opening this discussion. I am fully agree with the idea that some colours work better on some shapes. And not only the shape but the size too.

In my case I have so many doubts to choose one of the available colours. I convinced myself along almost most of them indeed 😔😂

Ice grey, dolomite silver, gentian blue, volcano grey…
Then Gentian blue again but after seeing in person the new Mac in ice grey, the old in gentian blue and one Taycan turbo in dolomite… coming back to dolomite silver…

And now this… the frozen blue… omg 🤯

My head… dolomite is the “right” choice.
But my heart only beats with different and more unusual and in your face options. Specially when I see those colours in the street in other cars.

I don’t know what I am going to do…
but the truth is that this frozen blue now could be in my top 2.

My wife says… “don’t overthink, choose WHAT YOU REALLY LIKE IT and forget other things… but please ice grey no” jajajaja!

If everything is ok I will have this car for four years, so maybe that is the key to choose more with my heart and less with my mind.

I don’t know… first world problems 😅

Last edited by mikeright; 07-18-2024 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-18-2024, 10:13 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Your wife is spot on, i.e., “choose WHAT YOU REALLY LIKE except no Ice Gray”. I sure understand that too as my wife similarly said “pick it but do not choose color Frozen Blue Metallic” (which I love lol). So we then picked another one we both really like, e.g. Gentian. Amazingly all of our non-unusual combined interior choices will work beautifully with Gentian and we both like all of its components Hopefully as we are waiting for a 2026, everything we want especially Gentian will be available then lol. If not we find a PLAN B exterior and interior then.

Good luck.
Old 07-18-2024, 10:32 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

I especially love Frozen Blue in this Porsche PR picture.

The following 2 users liked this post by TC Cruising:
digli (07-18-2024), Jeff Whitten (07-19-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 03:35 PM
Taycanted
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to play devil's advocate.. I was very excited to see Frozen Blue on the Taycan, I'm a huge fan of the old Miami Blue, but hated it.

I find Frozen Blue to be a very flat baby blue and it's my least favorite Porsche color. Not a fan at all.

If you love it, awesome! Just make sure you see it in person before ordering, very polarizing color. It definitely doesn't look like that last photo in person.
Needsdecaf (07-22-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 03:49 PM
tmrqs
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

You can check this variety of shots of Frozen Blue on Rennbow to help get a sense of the color.
Old 07-21-2024, 08:54 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Another Porsche picture:

Jeff Whitten (07-22-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 09:24 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Frozen Blue is not as per a post above, “very flat.” Look at its gloss even without any sun on it. I get it that it is distinctive and that it is not like by many. Fine if it is least liked. Personal opinions are always valid in the like or dislike area, e.g., whatever anyone likes or dislikes is all that counts.

Frozen blue is however a glossy color; not a “very flat” color…

Old 08-05-2024, 08:51 PM
digli
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

I was finally able to see a Frozen Blue Metallic Taycan at a dealership today --- it's not a common colour up here in Toronto so I was surprised to see it sitting on the lot. The dealership was closed so I just wandered the lot for an hour comparing colours. The Frozen Blue Taycan was on it's own at the end of a row so I was able to step back to see it from all angles. There were more Taycans nearby in Ice Grey Metallic, Gentian Blue and White as well as ICE Macans in a bunch of nice colours including Volcano Grey, Papaya, Dolomite Silver and Copper Ruby. The weather cooperated perfectly with overcast skies turning to sun and back to overcast during the course of an hour, so I was able to see how these colours changed with the light.

To echo TC Cruising, Frozen Blue Metallic is not at all flat, with lots of metallic flake and when the sun hits the flake, the underlying tone is warm, almost pearlescent. In overcast skies, it takes on a cooler tone. I really thought that Ice Grey Metallic would be the winner for me but I could not stop looking at the Frozen Blue today among the sea of Porsches. I was particularly taken with how well the Frozen Blue worked with the blacked out tail lights and the gloss black trim of the Taycan (similar trim to my Macan Turbo spec).

I'm not adding anything objective here but thought I'd share my impressions after finally seeing the colour in the flesh.

P.S. I realize that this colour may be a liability at resale but I plan to keep the Turbo until at least the end of the battery warranty period and assume that it will not be worth much at that time.
TC Cruising (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 08:58 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Here’s a video I watched that got me interested inFrozen Blue originally (still am).

Jeff Whitten (08-06-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 01:45 AM
burnspbesq
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I go to sporting events at Duke. I am NOT rolling up in a Carolina Blue car. 😎
Old 08-30-2024, 05:08 PM
Taycanted
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TC Cruising
Frozen Blue is not as per a post above, “very flat.” Look at its gloss even without any sun on it. I get it that it is distinctive and that it is not like by many. Fine if it is least liked. Personal opinions are always valid in the like or dislike area, e.g., whatever anyone likes or dislikes is all that counts.

Frozen blue is however a glossy color; not a “very flat” color…
Maybe flat isn't the perfect word, but I had a Frozen Blue Taycan as a loaner for 2 weeks and it's Baby Blue. It's always Baby Blue. It isn't as metallic as the other options, hence "flat", and almost appears to have a thicker coat of paint.

It is, in my opinion having owned & driven a lot of Porsches, a poor reinterpretation of Mexico or Miami Blue, two very sporty colors. They both also were less metallic than other colors but had really striking, rich tones to them. Frozen Blue is Baby Blue and not sporty.

I do think it'll look less bad on the Macan vs the Taycan and you should get the color you want.
The following 2 users liked this post by Taycanted:
Awas (08-30-2024), TC Cruising (08-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Impressions of Frozen Blue Metallic?