Sponsored by:

DME Repair

Search this Thread

Old Today, 02:33 PM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default DME Repair

Howdy, any one of you gentlemen know someone who does DME repair?
I have a 997.1 turbo DME which I believe is electrically compromised (possibly shorted).
Would love a solid recommendation.
Old Today, 03:12 PM
truekraut
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

I’d reach out to Todd at Protomotive. I believe they can remedy most DME issues. Good luck!

- Nick
Old Today, 03:37 PM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by truekraut
I’d reach out to Todd at Protomotive. I believe they can remedy most DME issues. Good luck!

- Nick
Thanks, just spoke to Todd, I may need a new DME but I am going to send it out to see if he can diagnose it.
Old Today, 04:26 PM
truekraut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AltitudeRacing
Thanks, just spoke to Todd, I may need a new DME but I am going to send it out to see if he can diagnose it.
Man, I hope he can get it sorted out for you! I know you said the DME may have been damaged to a short…were you working on the car at the time or installing a tune file?
Old Today, 04:38 PM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by truekraut
Man, I hope he can get it sorted out for you! I know you said the DME may have been damaged to a short…were you working on the car at the time or installing a tune file?
Todd told me to double check the fuses and.... Issue is fixed now, the DME 15a fuse blew on the kick panel fuse box. But the blow was not visually identifiable. I had to throw the fluke on to make sure.
Every message and light you could think of came on lol.
What happened is the car has a krontec QR with a shift light on the wheel, the shift light has 3 inputs, power, gnd, and ign coil signal.
Guess what, there was a cut in the raychem sleeving which was barely visible which went deep enough to touch the wires inside.
The wires are in a triple twisted set all the way to the DME.
The cut caused a short between terminal 15 of the dme pin 1 to ign coil 1 signal, in which both are outputting 12v. Not sure how the harness got compromised to begin with but I remade a new one and bench tested before hand!

The car acted as though the DME was fried. ABS, PSM, PASM, Sport, basically everything had a fault upon scanning for codes. The radiator fan would run full power immediately after key in ignition position. Also it kept telling me to depress clutch pedal to start, but my clutch pedal switch is bypassed. Talk about confusing.

If Todd ever reads this thanks for your phone time

I was laying in bed last night and doing mental gymnastics in my head on how to shoot wires if the DME was fine, I deal with avionics a lot and I honestly have no desire to sit in a hot garage with my body contorted to fix my mistakes, I do enough at work.

Also thanks truekraut for the recommendation, that extra push helped me find that fuse I overlooked.

Last edited by AltitudeRacing; Today at 04:42 PM.
Old Today, 08:03 PM
truekraut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AltitudeRacing
Todd told me to double check the fuses and.... Issue is fixed now, the DME 15a fuse blew on the kick panel fuse box. But the blow was not visually identifiable. I had to throw the fluke on to make sure.
Every message and light you could think of came on lol.
What happened is the car has a krontec QR with a shift light on the wheel, the shift light has 3 inputs, power, gnd, and ign coil signal.
Guess what, there was a cut in the raychem sleeving which was barely visible which went deep enough to touch the wires inside.
The wires are in a triple twisted set all the way to the DME.
The cut caused a short between terminal 15 of the dme pin 1 to ign coil 1 signal, in which both are outputting 12v. Not sure how the harness got compromised to begin with but I remade a new one and bench tested before hand!

The car acted as though the DME was fried. ABS, PSM, PASM, Sport, basically everything had a fault upon scanning for codes. The radiator fan would run full power immediately after key in ignition position. Also it kept telling me to depress clutch pedal to start, but my clutch pedal switch is bypassed. Talk about confusing.

If Todd ever reads this thanks for your phone time

I was laying in bed last night and doing mental gymnastics in my head on how to shoot wires if the DME was fine, I deal with avionics a lot and I honestly have no desire to sit in a hot garage with my body contorted to fix my mistakes, I do enough at work.

Also thanks truekraut for the recommendation, that extra push helped me find that fuse I overlooked.
That’s great! Glad to hear you found the issue and are back in action! Todd is awesome and has been a big help to me and others on the forum. Happy driving! 👍🏻

- Nick
The following users liked this post:
AltitudeRacing (Today)

Quick Reply: DME Repair