Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

2nd gear problems (new- not the 1-2 grind)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 02:33 PM
arobot
Advanced

Received 109 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 2nd gear problems (new- not the 1-2 grind)

Was out and about yesterday when a 1-> 2 upshift felt wrong (shifter felt "rubbery" going into 2, but otherwise no drama).
I pulled into my driveway about a mile later and noticed that the shifter won't hold second gear if the car isn't moving.
I drove it down to the dealer to show them and schedule service.
When driving, the car does hold second gear, but the shift action is notably different (varies from rubbery to crunchy).
I've attached a video (engine off, clutch depressed).
BTW- its a 2022 Spyder, about 8000 miles.
Anyone else experience this?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0877 2.MOV (19.52 MB, 25 views)

Last edited by arobot; 07-16-2024 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2024, 02:40 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,545 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by arobot
Was out and about yesterday when a 1-> 2 upshift felt wrong (shifter felt "rubbery" going into 2, but otherwise no drama).
I pulled into my driveway about a mile later and noticed that the shifter won't hold second gear if the car isn't moving.
I drove it down to the dealer to show them and schedule service.
When driving, the car does hold second gear, but the shift action is notably different (varies from rubbery to crunchy).
I've attached a video (engine off, clutch depressed).
BTW- its a 2022 Spyder, about 8000 miles.
Anyone else experience this?
havnt experienced this specifically in my Porsches but i had a similar issue in my S2000. For that car some people were saying it was an issue with the clutch and something about wear and that changing transmission fluid would fix the issue. I switched trans fluid and i never had that issue ever again.

Not sure if that applies here but it sounds like you are having the exact same symptoms so maybe it's just a trans fluid issue? I could be totally wrong. Hopefully the dealership figures it out.
Old 08-08-2024, 10:01 AM
arobot
Advanced

Whatever the issue, the transmission is going to be replaced next week (about 8000 miles).
No details yet wrt failure mode- but I'm guessing 2nd gear synchro?
I haven't seen anyone else describe the same symptoms, so seems like a one-off.
Old 08-16-2024, 10:41 AM
arobot
Advanced

Transmission has been replaced courtesy of Champion Porsche. No real diagnosis beyond the fact that there was obviously an internal problem.
The new box shift feel is notably more precise/consistent. No 2nd gear grinding thus far.
Don't know if the occasional grind from 1->2 is related, but seems suspicious that the failure was related to 2nd gear.
Old 08-17-2024, 09:07 AM
MotoFanatic
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Glad you got it fixed. Just curious, did you ever experience the other 1->2 upshift grind mentioned in the other post before this happened?
Old 08-18-2024, 08:44 AM
arobot
Advanced

Yes- the original transmission exhibited frequent 1->2 grinding for the first 2000 miles (probably about once in every 30 miles. It subsided in frequency after that until by 8000 miles it was almost gone, but not completely.
The new transmission hasn’t done it once so far, but I only have about 100 miles on it.
Old 08-18-2024, 09:11 AM
arobot
Advanced

Funny story: There's a local restaurant that's a popular breakfast destination with local gear heads, it seems. Outdoor curb side seating on Los Olas Blvd. I joke with my wife that I'm having breakfast with my car (usually parked next to our table). About a month ago we met a couple at this place who had their Lambo parked curb side. We talked. I asked about reliability/maintenance on the Lambo (I have a low pain threshold, so I tend to look at all things Italian a little side-eyed). It turns out this was one of two that they own, and the cars have been rock solid for them over the span of years. They were also about to take delivery of a 911.
I of course talked up Porsche as a low maintenance low headache brand. I've had 4 P-cars now, with a cumulative 200,000 ownership miles between them with no serious problems through that point.
We saw the same couple the other day- I informed them that since we last spoke my transmission failed

Quick Reply: 2nd gear problems (new- not the 1-2 grind)