Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Aero kit engine lid swap for standard lid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2024, 11:57 AM
tbo12
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 992 Aero kit engine lid swap for standard lid?

Curious if anyone has removed and replaced the aero winged engine lid in favor of the standard lid. I am considering a car with the aero package, but would have to make that swap...just not me and the look I prefer. Thank you.
Old 07-15-2024, 12:52 PM
silencei2
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts

Would be interested in a swap. I have a standard engine lid available.

It is secured on to a metal backplate with a bunch of plastic clips, and a single cable for the brake light. Takes 5 minutes to remove.
Old 07-15-2024, 01:03 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 480 Likes on 213 Posts

What color car?
Old 07-15-2024, 03:42 PM
tbo12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silencei2
Would be interested in a swap. I have a standard engine lid available.

It is secured on to a metal backplate with a bunch of plastic clips, and a single cable for the brake light. Takes 5 minutes to remove.
PM sent and the color (asked by another respondee) is Artic Grey
Old 07-15-2024, 03:45 PM
Defrag
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

cant be done (at least in my country) afaik, asked my dealer when i was considering used car.

You can add the spoiler no problem, but ither way is close to impossible:
1. different homologation, which makes it impossible per law in my country
2. even if it was possible, if you order aero pack from factory, not only the lid is different, but there is no mechanism installed to lift the spoiler/ electric cables are missing. Which means if it would be possible it would be super expensive. Plus coding.
Old 07-15-2024, 03:52 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Defrag
cant be done (at least in my country) afaik, asked my dealer when i was considering used car.

2. even if it was possible, if you order aero pack from factory, not only the lid is different, but there is no mechanism installed to lift the spoiler/ electric cables are missing. Which means if it would be possible it would be super expensive. Plus coding.
You’re absolutely wrong about the deck lid. It is an easy 5 minute swap as stated already. The connector for the brake lights are the same. The only thing he will need to do is run an additional set of wires to the extra brake light (…or unplug the connector from the light in the wing and run it up to the third brake light on the deck lid; that would render the wing light inoperable however). I actually might have an extra connector from when I performed my own AeroKit upgrade that I can give him; I’m running the GT3 Touring deck lid which is also plug n’play.

Now, if he’s talking about changing the wing as well, that’s a different story; his original post cites the engine lid rather than the wing itself, so maybe clarity is needed. It’s still easy to do, however. He would need to code using PIWIS.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 07-15-2024 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2024, 03:58 PM
tbo12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Defrag

Thank you for your thoughts, and yes, I thought the lift mechanism and electric cables would not be present but could be soured from a donor car if the attachment points are there and their is a receptacle to plug in the cable. Not ready to give up on the idea yet but lots to sort out.
Old 07-15-2024, 04:07 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 838 Likes on 386 Posts

Probably imagine you will need some standard PIWIS coding also to change the vehicle configuration so the electric spoiler raises as per normal non-aerokit behavior?
Old 07-15-2024, 04:27 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Originally Posted by tbo12
Thank you for your thoughts, and yes, I thought the lift mechanism and electric cables would not be present but could be soured from a donor car if the attachment points are there and their is a receptacle to plug in the cable. Not ready to give up on the idea yet but lots to sort out.
It shouldn’t be difficult to make the change. To add the active aero wing, you will need the entire rear assembly from a donor car, including the base with the wiring harness. You will need to do some de-pinning/re-pinning at the connector, but that’ll take you 20 minutes. The bases come with wiring harnesses attached. You will need to code your car’s configuration using PIWIS. Swapping over physical parts will take you an hour if you’re decently mechanically inclined. The attachment points are the same.

This is the rear disassembled.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 07-15-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-15-2024, 05:03 PM
tbo12
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the additional - and encouraging - thoughts To clarify my goal, yes, it is the aero 'wing' that I would want to remove so if I'm following this correctly, that requires a change of both components I don't have a car to look at in person so I apologize if my terminology is off. Before moving ahead on the car, I need to be 100% confident of no hardware, wiring or software roadblocks.
Old 07-15-2024, 07:54 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Thank you all for the additional - and encouraging - thoughts To clarify my goal, yes, it is the aero 'wing' that I would want to remove so if I'm following this correctly, that requires a change of both components I don't have a car to look at in person so I apologize if my terminology is off. Before moving ahead on the car, I need to be 100% confident of no hardware, wiring or software roadblocks.
Why not just buy a car without an AeroKit?

Last edited by M3Inline6; 07-15-2024 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-15-2024, 07:57 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,366 Likes on 2,134 Posts

I can guarantee you 100% of hardware, wiring, and software roadblocks.

They don't make anything easy, besides replacing the front side markers.
Old 07-16-2024, 12:07 PM
tbo12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Why not just buy a car without an AeroKit?
Wish it was that easy, but available 2024 (or 2023 Carrera S cars configured in a way that I would buy it are VERY difficult to find. Trust me, I'm doing a hard target search all day, every day. Other than the 'wing' on the car I am considering, it is otherwise near perfect for what I want.
Old 07-16-2024, 12:19 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Wish it was that easy, but available 2024 (or 2023 Carrera S cars configured in a way that I would buy it are VERY difficult to find. Trust me, I'm doing a hard target search all day, every day. Other than the 'wing' on the car I am considering, it is otherwise near perfect for what I want.
I’m almost certain you’ll find somebody who will swap their active aero for your AeroKit wing. It would be a come-up for all involved (…and save a ton of money in the process). With both cars in the same location, it would take about 4 hours total to do both cars. As a point of comparison, it took me an hour and a half to perform the AeroKit conversion on my car (…not including the de-pinning/re-pinning of the connector for the AeroKit base wiring harness).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 07-16-2024 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2024, 01:56 PM
tbo12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
I’m almost certain you’ll find somebody who will swap their active aero for your AeroKit wing. It would be a come-up for all involved (…and save a ton of money in the process). With both cars in the same location, it would take about 4 hours total to do both cars. As a point of comparison, it took me an hour and a half to perform the AeroKit conversion on my car (…not including the de-pinning/re-pinning of the connector for the AeroKit base wiring harness).
Thank you again for your posts and thoughts. Agree that having two cars side-by-side and doing a swap would be ideal.

Quick Reply: 992 Aero kit engine lid swap for standard lid?