Sponsored by:

Adventures in Air Conditioning and also Fuel Tank Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2024, 05:56 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adventures in Air Conditioning and also Fuel Tank Removal

Been awhile since Ive posted here. I am in the beginning of replacing the AC Evaporator and associated repairs. I just pulled the Shut Off Valve (8 in the image) and charcoal is coming out of the lower vent tube (9 in the image). I imagine this is not typical. I have had a slight fuel smell in the frunk and occasionally the cabin after the car sits for a bit so Im also on the lookout for that source while repairing the AC.

Is the charcoal Im seeing indeed from part 8? I am assuming that it should not be coming out of the valve, is that correct?

Thanks
Jim

Old 07-13-2024, 07:15 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Update. See photo. AC has been inoperable for a bit. First noticed at VIR when we found a green puddle under it, coming from HVAC drain/vent. So there's got to be a leak or hole somewhere. However when I opened the mounting block in the photo, quite a bit pop pressure was released. There must be a valve that allows pressure on w=one side and none on the other?

Old 07-13-2024, 07:46 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts

I did this a couple years back and from your posts I'd recommend shelling out $ Bently manual (if you going to do a fair bit of diy) and Google 993 replacing evaporator and check out the hits on p-car.com, pelican and here on rl.
Good luck, it is a satisfying project. 👍
Old 07-13-2024, 07:48 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

I have the factory and the Bentley. Great resources although there are many discrepancies on torque values between them from when I rebuilt the engine a few years back. Im using Pelican Parts how to article which is pretty decent but there are some missing steps and photos Ive noticed.
Old 07-13-2024, 11:36 PM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I did this too a couple of years ago. Take lots and lots of photos taking particular note of actuator lever positions on the suitcase to aid in reassembly. I found the 964 forum helpful with tips on doing a complete rebuild.
I split the suitcase after removing it from the car, some threads suggested splitting the suitcase in-situ to avoid disconnecting the fans wiring harnesses from inside the car behind the dash. I had a look and thought that was too much trouble and as for splitting the suitcase while still in the car, kudos to you if you have done this. I cut the wires. When the suitcase went back in you can't see where the cut and rejoin was done.

Old 07-13-2024, 11:49 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Greg Bell
I did this too a couple of years ago. Take lots and lots of photos taking particular note of actuator lever positions on the suitcase to aid in reassembly. I found the 964 forum helpful with tips on doing a complete rebuild.
I split the suitcase after removing it from the car, some threads suggested splitting the suitcase in-situ to avoid disconnecting the fans wiring harnesses from inside the car behind the dash. I had a look and thought that was too much trouble and as for splitting the suitcase while still in the car, kudos to you if you have done this. I cut the wires. When the suitcase went back in you can't see where the cut and rejoin was done.
I pulled it out completely. Pulling out the wiring was pretty miserable as I had added zip ties over the years for audio and such. Ended up pulling the center console as well for access.

Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow this is an undertaking
keep us posted

glenn
Old Today, 09:08 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts

Impressive how buried that evap is.... I dont remember how long it took but I work slow, I do remember thinking I don't want to do it again and this must be a pricy job to get done by someone else...

I think getting the suitcase out is prob the worst part - and you are over that hump. The rest is making sure stuff is super clean and sealed nicely and done to spec.
Nice one.

Last edited by LimeyBoy; Today at 09:10 PM.
Old Today, 09:28 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 536 Posts

Jesus good luck!

Quick Reply: Adventures in Air Conditioning and also Fuel Tank Removal