971 Panamera 4 ST advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2024, 03:42 PM
Ontaco
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 971 Panamera 4 ST advice

Hi All!

I've come across a 2018 Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo 4 for 60k, with 48k miles and is a CPO.I looked at it today and totally fell in love. I could use some advice from those who know these cars best. Is there anything major I should be looking out for, or know about it before I make the decision to pull the trigger on it? Obviously the CPO makes it very appealing. This would be my first porsche. Everything I read about the 3.6 V6 is that it's pretty bullet proof. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-09-2024, 05:28 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 565 Posts

I would watch out for the glass roof creaks thats a know common issues.
In the past I've read that the some owners with the 971's have an issue with massive vibrations. It's a big problem with no remedy.
Be sure to test drive multiple times, ideally on different days, because the problem is so intermittent.

But it's cpo. So I wouldn't worry much. If you want it, buy it. CPO will have you covered.
Old 07-09-2024, 05:41 PM
Ontaco
Track Day

Originally Posted by Shuga
I would watch out for the glass roof creaks thats a know common issues.
In the past I've read that the some owners with the 971's have an issue with massive vibrations. It's a big problem with no remedy.
Be sure to test drive multiple times, ideally on different days, because the problem is so intermittent.

But it's cpo. So I wouldn't worry much. If you want it, buy it. CPO will have you covered.
Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't seen either of those in my reading up on common issues. I plan on test driving it for sure. I don't drive a ton, 8-10k a year max, and I'd probably only keep it through the CPO or slightly more. Figure I'm largely safe...
Old 07-09-2024, 05:56 PM
chaos2984
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

The only issue that concerned me with the 4 and the 4S is the 2.9T engine with rocker issues. I was able to find a Turbo for not that much more. From what I read and saw with the 2.9T engine is to change the oil early and not wait to the normal interval. Seemed to be a correlation from people following the maintenance schedule were ending up with trouble than those who were not and doing the oil change to more conventional standards.

There was a fix somewhere in the 2018 where Audi put the bigger rockers in there. This is only good info if you keep the car outside of the CPO.
See if you can get CPO +1. That would give you 3 years of unlimited mileage warranty.

If you like the car and the price is right go for it since it has warranty.
Old 07-09-2024, 06:23 PM
Ontaco
Track Day

Originally Posted by chaos2984
The only issue that concerned me with the 4 and the 4S is the 2.9T engine with rocker issues. I was able to find a Turbo for not that much more. From what I read and saw with the 2.9T engine is to change the oil early and not wait to the normal interval. Seemed to be a correlation from people following the maintenance schedule were ending up with trouble than those who were not and doing the oil change to more conventional standards.

There was a fix somewhere in the 2018 where Audi put the bigger rockers in there. This is only good info if you keep the car outside of the CPO.
See if you can get CPO +1. That would give you 3 years of unlimited mileage warranty.

Yeah, I can't find a single ST that is even remotely near my price range otherwise. If I was willing to get a regularly body then no problem but I'd really only take the wagon. Thanks for the tip on the CPO+1.
The following users liked this post:
chaos2984 (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 06:24 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ontaco
Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't seen either of those in my reading up on common issues. I plan on test driving it for sure. I don't drive a ton, 8-10k a year max, and I'd probably only keep it through the CPO or slightly more. Figure I'm largely safe...
I'd sell it before the CPO is up. It would help the next buyer feel safer and go for an easier transaction. But if you're CPO now, and you feel it's a good deal go for it.
Ontaco (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 06:25 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

100% agree with this, CPO+1 year, then sell on the second year for close to what you paid.
Ontaco (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 06:32 PM
Ontaco
Track Day

100% agree with this, CPO+1 year, then sell on the second year for close to what you paid.
While I do think itll hold value pretty well, you think these hold value that well?
Old 07-09-2024, 06:38 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

While I do think itll hold value pretty well, you think these hold value that well?
The future of the market is untold. However, as you said there's no ST's on the market for this price. If you buy it at a good price point and you sell it while it still has a factory cpo, I don't see how you could lose that much. These ST's are rare. They're not making them anymore. and who knows they might shoot up in value once people start to respect them more. Look at the BMW Z3 M coupe. ( The clown shoe) I always knew that thing would shoot up in value. I fumbled by choosing an E39 M5 over that. ( Which I still fumbled, and sold before they shot up in value. Wait maybe I'm not the right person to ask about values now that I think about it lmao. Always on the mark, I just sell to early)
Old 07-09-2024, 09:45 PM
Ontaco
Track Day

The future of the market is untold. However, as you said there's no ST's on the market for this price. If you buy it at a good price point and you sell it while it still has a factory cpo, I don't see how you could lose that much. These ST's are rare. They're not making them anymore. and who knows they might shoot up in value once people start to respect them more. Look at the BMW Z3 M coupe. ( The clown shoe) I always knew that thing would shoot up in value. I fumbled by choosing an E39 M5 over that. ( Which I still fumbled, and sold before they shot up in value. Wait maybe I'm not the right person to ask about values now that I think about it lmao. Always on the mark, I just sell to early)
Well... went and test drove it and signed the papers. Gave me a sick price for my trade. I'm over the moon to be able to say I bought my first Porsche.
chaos2984 (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 10:58 PM
chaos2984
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Well... went and test drove it and signed the papers. Gave me a sick price for my trade. I'm over the moon to be able to say I bought my first Porsche.
You will love the car. If you have an active PCA chapter in your area you should join. The club is tons of fun.

Don't be weirded out, the car makes a tons of noises since its all high tech and has tons of options. First time I had someone sit in the passenger seat, I thought an error came up with the ding sound it made.
Ontaco (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 11:02 PM
Ontaco
Track Day

You will love the car. If you have an active PCA chapter in your area you should join. The club is tons of fun.

Don't be weirded out, the car makes a tons of noises since its all high tech and has tons of options. First time I had someone sit in the passenger seat, I thought an error came up with the ding sound it made.
Thank you and thank you for the advice! I'm super excited and definitely will look into the PCA in the Boston area.
Old 07-10-2024, 11:33 AM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Congrats!!! There's nothing like the day when you pick up your first Porsche. It's a day you'll never forget and always want more of.

Post some photos of this beauty! Glad you got a great trade in number as well!
Ontaco (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 11:44 AM
Ontaco
Track Day

Congrats!!! There's nothing like the day when you pick up your first Porsche. It's a day you'll never forget and always want more of.

Post some photos of this beauty! Glad you got a great trade in number as well!
I certainly will post better pics when I pick her up in a few days. But this is one from the site. They need to finish the CPO on it, and fix a spoiler error and a couple other small items. But I'm beyond thrilled.

Norge911 (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 11:46 AM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I certainly will post better pics when I pick her up in a few days. But this is one from the site. They need to finish the CPO on it, and fix a spoiler error and a couple other small items. But I'm beyond thrilled.
What a stunning stunning car!! Love the wheels! Congrats again!

Quick Reply: 971 Panamera 4 ST advice