Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Security of Spyder top when parking on the street

Search this Thread

Old Today, 12:08 AM
bgpman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security of Spyder top when parking on the street

Trying to figure out if the Spyder RS would be an option for me.

I like the idea of a slightly softer ride, slightly more distant induction, and could probably live with slightly worse rear vis (top up). Live in the Pacific Northwest so would probably leave the top up and could probably live with not using the trunk (much).

My biggest question is, is the top secure for street parking? It seems like even the base Spyder if you know how you could start unclipping and the RS has pull tabs? Not sure if that's universal.

Seems like someone could cut the top to get in - is that accurate? Would the alarm go off?

And/or if they just started unclipping the roof to get in under the back of it, would that work without it being released inside? Would the alarm go off?

Generally do people feel safe street parking it and it not being more of a "target" than a 911 cab which (I think) has harder plate tops?

Thanks
Old Today, 12:15 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 376 Likes on 211 Posts

Any fabric top convertible can be cut. The alarm will go off if the pull tabs are used and the car is locked. And the interior sensors should kick the alarm off if the roof were cut and someone tried to get in. It’s goin to be no different than any other fabric roof.
Old Today, 12:19 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,328 Likes on 2,182 Posts

I still think they’d just break the window. I’ve never felt “insecure” and I’ve parked it (overnight sometimes) in many exposed areas.
Old Today, 12:23 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,070 Likes on 640 Posts

Not sure if the 718 has interior sensors, but the 911 does and any movement inside the car once activated and the alarm starts screaming as well as a ping to your porsche app.
Old Today, 03:21 AM
Spyder_NL
Cruisin'

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bgpman

I like the idea of a slightly softer ride, slightly more distant induction, and could probably live with slightly worse rear vis (top up). Live in the Pacific Northwest so would probably leave the top up and could probably live with not using the trunk (much).

My biggest question is, is the top secure for street parking? It seems like even the base Spyder if you know how you could start unclipping and the RS has pull tabs? Not sure if that's universal.

Seems like someone could cut the top to get in - is that accurate? Would the alarm go off?

And/or if they just started unclipping the roof to get in under the back of it, would that work without it being released inside? Would the alarm go off?

Generally do people feel safe street parking it and it not being more of a "target" than a 911 cab which (I think) has harder plate tops?

Thanks
The alarm of the SRS will activate when someone pulls the tabs/loops of the roof when locked. The roof main clasp at the windshield has no lock too, so with a small cut you can remove the whole top. The alarm would activate of course, so it's not more stealth than breaking a window on a coupe?
Old Today, 09:07 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,574 Likes on 2,039 Posts

Originally Posted by bgpman

Thanks
The comparison comments at top…what are they in relation to? Softer ride, reduced induction, rear visibility…?

I don’t think a 911 or 718 Cab has “plate top”. They are multi layered and insulated fabric tops. The Spyder and Spyder RS are single layer canvas.

Street parking? You mean like daily?

Maybe look at a Boxster GTS for better Seattle manners, the RS ain’t that.

Oh, and why wouldn’t you be able to use the trunk much?

Last edited by TXshaggy; Today at 09:21 AM.
Old Today, 11:03 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,476 Likes on 1,270 Posts

It's a convertible, same as any other convertible; inherently easy to get into.

You don't leave anything of value in a convertible, at least in the cabin. Heck, in any car in an area which exposes it to break in.

Quick Reply: Security of Spyder top when parking on the street