Notices

Anyone do a high lift garage door conversion recently?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 11:08 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts
Default Anyone do a high lift garage door conversion recently?

I need new garage doors and the quote was ridiculous for my high bays ($2,800 extra for 2). Anyone do one recently and can share your price?
Old 07-03-2024, 09:20 AM
Uwon
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

$1,400 per side to add 3-4 feet of rails, an additional panel and probably a stronger motor doesn’t sound too out of line to me.
Maybe just consider doing one side if you are installing one lift.
M2CW
Old 07-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Thanks. The $2800 is just for the tracks etc. No panels, no opener. I'm buying new doors, so this is just the difference between the std height and high lift in 2 bays. One goes up to the ceiling but the other is only 15 inches higher than std. I may just switch them all back to std height and get rid of the jackshaft opener.
Old 07-03-2024, 12:00 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Back in the fall of 2021 I installed two new garage doors (that came complete with tracks, springs etc. for standard lift), and decided to do the high-lift conversion myself. I calculated the springs and cable lengths, and purchased them as well as the special drums and stronger top brackets from a garage supply company. The track modifications and associated brackets I fabricated myself. It turned out very well, but I installed hand-operated chain hoists instead of powered door operators (which are expensive for high-lift applications and may be hard to fit if the doors are very tight to the side wall, as is common in a lot of new construction.

Point is that the "special" high lift items (drums, springs etc.) are only marginally more expensive then the similar items for a "standard" install and the additional bracketry for the tracks is really not a big deal. So, $2,800, not including doors or opener sounds like a very substantial profit margin. I don't remember exactly, but the additional outlay for parts and materials I made was in the hundreds dollars.

If you want to do this yourself, I can probably dig up some of the info I used to calculate the springs etc. (important), but you have to be confident to wind the springs, which is gut-tightening exercise requiring extreme care. The tracks have to be accurately cut, joined and aligned... not really difficult, but time consuming.

The $2,800 might be indicative of the number of companies willing to do this. I guess maybe the more complicated calculations could be a factor. In fairness, there could also be more gotchas when doing high-lift conversions to doors already in place, which was not my scenario, as I did the high lift in conjunction with installing the new doors.

Last edited by 500; 07-03-2024 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-03-2024, 12:14 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I agree with you as I have done high-lifts twice and if I recall correctly one guy didn't charge anything more and the other was about $700 when I wasn't changing the doors. I have a second company at my place now, so we'll see what they charge. I don't really need high lift anymore, but I do like how it opens the garage up with the door up need the ceiling.
Old 07-03-2024, 01:04 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

I have a guy who I have used in the past for my high lift doors, very reasonable price. PM me for contact info if interested.
The following users liked this post:
Onami (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 11:22 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Thanks. I agree with you as I have done high-lifts twice and if I recall correctly one guy didn't charge anything more and the other was about $700 when I wasn't changing the doors. I have a second company at my place now, so we'll see what they charge. I don't really need high lift anymore, but I do like how it opens the garage up with the door up need the ceiling.
I've got a guy...did my oversized high lift 2-car door last year with a new high track and side mount opener. PM me.

Are you on the Supreme Ace? She left port yesterday...
Old 07-03-2024, 11:48 PM
Jkb545
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 97 Posts

In Midwest US -$850 for track change.
Onami (07-06-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 11:59 PM
CDNC
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 20 Posts

I doubt it's cheaper but I ended up with rolling doors - no tracks to worry about and full clearance. Two on motors and one on chain - that wish was on a motor.
Old 07-04-2024, 02:06 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Thanks Guys. I appreciate all of the input. I just decided to go with std height this time around. Got a fair price from Dodd's Doors.

Cam, I'm on the SFL Conductor. Left of the weekend.
Old 07-04-2024, 02:28 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
I may just switch them all back to std height and get rid of the jackshaft opener.
Why will the jackshaft opener not work on a standard height door?
Old 07-04-2024, 03:16 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

It will, but mine is 14 years old and getting a little slow to open. It will need replacing soon anyway, so I got a good price on a new one to be installed when they do the doors.
Old 07-06-2024, 11:02 AM
acklam
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to highjack this thread. I figure I may as well use this same thread than starting a new one with similar topic.

I am looking to convert my standard garage door opener/railing to side mount opener/high lift, so that I can install a lift to fit one more car in garage. Any recommendations for garage door/railing contractor, and any recommendations for lift for Greater Toronto Area?

Many thanks!
24TargaGTS (07-07-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 03:49 PM
Lemarp
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

I may be one of the few with a horrible experience with Dodd's but when constructing my garage, I had Dodd's come in and tell my builder what needed to be done do so that I could put in a jackshaft opener and high lift.

The guy gave me the wrong measurements so when they came out to install and after everything was drywalled up, I was told I didn't have enough clearance for the jackshaft opener to be installed.

Dodd's did nothing other than tell me to pound sand and not charge me for the jackshaft opener, despite having everything in writing. I'd never recommend them for a high lift install.

If anyone out there has a guy that can come by (in Toronto) and have a look at what needs to be done to modify (or just install) a jackshaft opener, please do message me.

Old 07-12-2024, 04:18 PM
pbcsd
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 75 Posts

I think I went with these guys back in 2022..but not sure what it was without high lift. Ended up getting the garage door opener at Home Depot for less than half the below (some blow out sale).

Quick Reply: Anyone do a high lift garage door conversion recently?