Sponsored By:

Wrapping the matt black plastic to Gloss Black

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 07:33 PM
rajatparihar
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Wrapping the matt black plastic to Gloss Black

Hi everyone, I am thinking of wrapping some of the matt black plastic trims of my 2023 Cayenne Plat. Edition to Gloss black. - This includes door handles, section of rear spoiler, underside of side mirrors and only vertical slates of the front grill.

- I am looking for your valuable feedback and things to keep in mind or any specific thing to mention to the detailer before kicking this project.

- My car has a comfort access, would wrapping the door handles affect this functionality even slightly?

Door handles wrap

Rear spoiler wrap

Underside of side mirrors wrap

Only the horizontal slates wrap

Only the horizontal slates wrap
Old 06-30-2024, 08:14 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by rajatparihar
. . . My car has a comfort access, would wrapping the door handles affect this functionality even slightly?
You can check the door handles yourself as I just did. I placed a plastic freezer bag over the handle and conducted a test. No issues with lock or unlock.

I have to wonder why my car, with a complete wrap, does not have the door handles wrapped. Maybe the installer thought it too difficult. Maybe the sharp angles and small surfaces couldn’t hold up to the constant handling and would soon peel off. Something to consider and specifically ask the installer about.

Last edited by Schnave; 06-30-2024 at 08:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rajatparihar (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 08:17 PM
rajatparihar
Racer

Originally Posted by Schnave
You can check the door handles yourself as I just did. I placed a freezer bag over the handle and conducted a test. No issues with lock or unlock.

I have to wonder why my car, with a complete wrap, does not have the door handles wrapped. Maybe the installer thought it too difficult. Maybe the sharp angles and small surfaces couldn’t hold up to the constant handling and would soon peel off. Something to consider and specifically ask the installer about.
Have you wrapped your car completely? I have ppf all over my cayenne except door handles and may be due to the same reason. But the wrap detailing company that I am looking to go has done full body panamera wrap in the past including door handles so I am bit optimistic about this project.
Old 06-30-2024, 08:19 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Sorry — Full PPF.
Old 06-30-2024, 10:17 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave
You can check the door handles yourself as I just did. I placed a plastic freezer bag over the handle and conducted a test. No issues with lock or unlock.

Your installer didn't wrap door handles because he was lazy. Door handles need to be disassembled and removed to wrap them, and he didn't want to do that. I would question going back to him.

OP, yes, you can wrap all the parts that you mentioned gloss black. You can also wrap over PPF, although you will see the PPF edges as raised edges on the vinyl. Most of the black plastic that you want to wrap should be possible without disassembling the car, which is a plus.

You said you wanted to go through the dealer, don't. Dealers just outsource the work anyways and charge you extra and also usually take some margin from the installer.

Final comment on vinyl wrap, they always look good on video and photos, but they will not look like paint when looked at closely with the naked eye. There will be bubbles, wrinkles, lifting, heavy orange peel, etc. No matter how good the installer is, the material will eventually wear and look like crap sooner than you think, especially on a daily driver. And when you remove a wrap, it's not exactly an easy, harmless procedure either.

Make sure to set your expectations on what vinyl wrap can really do.
The following 4 users liked this post by obbob:
MAXFPS (07-01-2024), mdrobc1213 (07-08-2024), Palantir (07-05-2024), rajatparihar (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 11:47 PM
rajatparihar
Racer

Originally Posted by obbob
Your installer didn't wrap door handles because he was lazy. Door handles need to be disassembled and removed to wrap them, and he didn't want to do that. I would question going back to him.

OP, yes, you can wrap all the parts that you mentioned gloss black. You can also wrap over PPF, although you will see the PPF edges as raised edges on the vinyl. Most of the black plastic that you want to wrap should be possible without disassembling the car, which is a plus.

You said you wanted to go through the dealer, don't. Dealers just outsource the work anyways and charge you extra and also usually take some margin from the installer.

Final comment on vinyl wrap, they always look good on video and photos, but they will not look like paint when looked at closely with the naked eye. There will be bubbles, wrinkles, lifting, heavy orange peel, etc. No matter how good the installer is, the material will eventually wear and look like crap sooner than you think, especially on a daily driver. And when you remove a wrap, it's not exactly an easy, harmless procedure either.

Make sure to set your expectations on what vinyl wrap can really do.
thanks a mil. Very valuable information.
Old 07-01-2024, 12:07 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 782 Likes on 559 Posts

Door handles should have been done, as mentioned above just a lazy installer.

If you go on the dealers insta, you can most likely find out which installer they're using and cut the middle man ( the dealer)
Old 07-01-2024, 02:10 PM
rajatparihar
Racer

Originally Posted by Shuga
Door handles should have been done, as mentioned above just a lazy installer.

If you go on the dealers insta, you can most likely find out which installer they're using and cut the middle man ( the dealer)
Do you think the front grill slates could be doable? Have you seen anybody ever wrapped it on this forum,?
Old 07-01-2024, 02:23 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 782 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by rajatparihar
Do you think the front grill slates could be doable? Have you seen anybody ever wrapped it on this forum,?
Everything is doable, it's just getting the right installer who's going to take the time. and it's not going to be cheap...
The following users liked this post:
rajatparihar (07-01-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 10:02 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Shuga
Everything is doable, it's just getting the right installer who's going to take the time. and it's not going to be cheap...
That is the rub....am thinking of having mine done to in matt CF wrap vs trying to find CF parts which are still very little available. We'll see what happens.

Quick Reply: Wrapping the matt black plastic to Gloss Black