Sponsored by:

5pt seatbelts question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 05:38 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 5pt seatbelts question

I have a sparco seats, 5pt sparco seatbelts, and a rollbar in my car. Is this all I need or is there anything else I would need for a safe track day?
Old 06-29-2024, 07:42 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 266 Posts

You need a head/neck restraint or HNR, such as HANS, Simpson Hybrid etc. Some drivers use fire resistant gear- suit, boots, gloves, balaclava. Full face helmet preferred by many. Consider hearing protection. Stay hydrated. get a good nights sleep.
Old 06-29-2024, 09:44 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
You need a head/neck restraint or HNR, such as HANS, Simpson Hybrid etc. Some drivers use fire resistant gear- suit, boots, gloves, balaclava. Full face helmet preferred by many. Consider hearing protection. Stay hydrated. get a good nights sleep.
The first item is a must, not an option with race harnesses.

Have fun!
The following users liked this post:
Tedster (07-09-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 10:38 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts

As mentioned, you need a head/neck restraint since you have harnesses. Once you have racing seats, many trackday clubs also require you have either an FIA approved seat (not expired), or a seat back brace.

Tell us a bit about the car. Nothing wrong with extra safety gear, but fireproof gear is not necessary for a trackday in most cars. If the car is substantially modified (aside from safety gear), I'd lean toward having the gear.
Old 06-29-2024, 10:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,082 Likes on 1,801 Posts

VIR is now requiring drivers in DE’s to wear full gear (suits/sock/gloves) if there is any exposed chassis metal in the cockpit (like panels and carpet stripped or missing).
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-29-2024, 11:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

From the VIR Policies on their site.

Fire Suits
If you are running a track-prepared car you must wear a fire suit. A “Track Prepared Car” is defined as any vehicle in which the cockpit has been altered or modified in any way so that any part of the chassis or any firewall has been exposed. This will be enforced by the track renter unless waived under contract.
Old 06-30-2024, 06:38 AM
NastyHabits
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 157 Posts

^ Good to know. Making 1st visit to VIR in early October
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 09:50 AM
VRYALT3R3D
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Thanks - I got a HANS device yesterday
Old 07-01-2024, 10:27 AM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

You will want to confirm these questions with the organizers of your event. Some organizations and tracks have additional rules/policies, as pointed out by ProCoach.
Old 07-01-2024, 10:54 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

...and, as implied by the phrase "unless waived under contract", check with your organizer well in advance. We were there instructing for Tarheel BMW CCA last week-end` (blazing HOT!) and that was the case. A minimum of natural fiber long pants and long-sleeved shirts in "race-prepared" cars were required. At VIR, it's a "race-prepared" car if it has any one or more of these: a roll bar, race seat/s, stripped interior, harnesses, etc.

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 07-01-2024 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-01-2024, 11:10 AM
nineball
Pro

Received 340 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
From the VIR Policies on their site.

Fire Suits
If you are running a track-prepared car you must wear a fire suit. A “Track Prepared Car” is defined as any vehicle in which the cockpit has been altered or modified in any way so that any part of the chassis or any firewall has been exposed. This will be enforced by the track renter unless waived under contract.
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
...and, as implied by the phrase "unless waived under contract", check with your organizer well in advance. We were there instructing for Tarheel BMW CCA last week-end` (blazing HOT!) and that was the case. A minimum of natural fiber long pants and long-sleeved shirts in "race-prepared" cars were required. At VIR, it's a "race-prepared" car if it has any one or more of these: a roll bar, race seat/s, stripped interior, harnesses, etc.
so who is right? there are lots of cars with rollbars and seats that have not stripped out the interior. mine is.
Old 07-01-2024, 11:16 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The rules are more and more restrictive at some tracks each year. Pretty sure that exception will disappear over time.

It's the participant's responsibility to assume that the published track policies are in place "unless waived under the track rental contract."

I would be very careful. It's caught out a few people who have traveled from far away. The pro shop there sells a lot of suits, gloves and underwear the evening before or the first day, at most events.

I don't care. I wear gear as a matter of course. But I'd make sure before you come.
Old 07-01-2024, 11:17 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I was speaking to someone recently about this as well and it seems confusing. However, I do believe if the organization (like PCA. NASA, SCCA, etc) signs the track waiver not requiring the protective garments, it's not a concern. The question is, will the organizations sign the waiver or comply with the track?

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 07-01-2024, 11:22 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
The question is, will the organizations sign the waiver or comply with the track?
Most comply with the track, but given how litigious folks are, I have already seen fewer and fewer clubs and organizations sign the waiver over time.

Heck, they even require this for their member driving days. There was not a lot of pushback.

Quick Reply: 5pt seatbelts question