Macan 2014-Current

Porsche Protection Plan (extended warranty) for Macan

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 07:25 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts
Default Porsche Protection Plan (extended warranty) for Macan

My wife's 2020 Macan S has its warranty expiring on Aug 28th this year. 34K miles on the vehicle and my wife does not want to replace it.

At the dealer today, they quoted me $ 5,286 + Tax for a 2 year extended warranty, with a $ 250 Deductible - good for 75K miles but we would time out of it first. This is a continuation of the factory new car warranty and covers everything.

Problem areas on this vehicle over time are timing cover oil leaks ($ 1,800 repair) and Water pumps ($ 2,400 repair). and the occasional Transfer Case ($ 14,000).

I wasn't expecting it to be the high. What has everyone else experienced?

Old 06-26-2024, 08:13 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
My wife's 2020 Macan S has its warranty expiring on Aug 28th this year. 34K miles on the vehicle and my wife does not want to replace it.

At the dealer today, they quoted me $ 5,286 + Tax for a 2 year extended warranty, with a $ 250 Deductible - good for 75K miles but we would time out of it first. This is a continuation of the factory new car warranty and covers everything.

Problem areas on this vehicle over time are timing cover oil leaks ($ 1,800 repair) and Water pumps ($ 2,400 repair). and the occasional Transfer Case ($ 14,000).

I wasn't expecting it to be the high. What has everyone else experienced?
Not sure what they are quoting you, but when I bought my 22 GTS last year, I added the extended warranties. Porsche sells a number ala cart. I got the extended factory defects warranty (extends your standard warranty), and the additional service warranty (covers routine service such as oil changes, plugs, belts etc) beyond the first year 10K service, which is free. Then I added the "consumables" warranty which covers costly brake rotors (PSCB) and those expensive headlamps. They also have warranty coverage for windshields (did not get) which is separate again. Note that the extended factory warranty does not cover brake rotors or headlamp modules, both of which can be very pricey if they go bad.
Old 06-26-2024, 08:32 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

I agree it is high, here are your comparable Fidelity rates, repairs accepted at all Porsche dealerships or licensed repair facilitates in the US/Canada. My contact information is below if you want to reach out with any questions.

2022 Porsche Macan S w/ 34K miles.

Fidelity Platinum:
24 months / additional 24k miles:
$250 deductible
-$3,794

36 months / additional 36k miles:
$250 deductible
-$4,678

ALL TAX INCLUDED

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

The following users liked this post:
TRINITONY (06-27-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 08:56 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
I agree it is high, here are your comparable Fidelity rates, repairs accepted at all Porsche dealerships or licensed repair facilitates in the US/Canada. My contact information is below if you want to reach out with any questions.

2022 Porsche Macan S w/ 34K miles.

Fidelity Platinum:
24 months / additional 24k miles:
$250 deductible
-$3,794

36 months / additional 36k miles:
$250 deductible
-$4,678

ALL TAX INCLUDED

Trenton O. Gibson
Highline Autos
Does your plan cover head light modules or PSCB rotors?
Old 06-26-2024, 09:02 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Does your plan cover head light modules or PSCB rotors?
Yes it coveres headlight modules, and no rotors are a wear item and are not included in any extended warranty coverage, only some sort of prepaid maintenance package.

Trenton O. Gibson
Highline Autos
Old 06-26-2024, 09:21 PM
jmoney99
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

These are all a ripoff. Take the money and put it in a ROTH IRA or brokerage fund making 7-10%. 2015-2018 had the transfer case issues. Doubtful you’d have issues with the 2020 until you hit 100K miles (may need a water pump or thermostat then). Dealer quoted you their prices. An Indy mechanic would charge 25-30% what the dealer costs.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:06 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 183 Posts

I've never purchased or considered purchasing an extended warranty but I would for the Macan. I've heard good things about Fidelity but I have no personal experience. Having owned numerous new cars in my life, I've only had one lemon and I hope our Macan doesn't turn out to be the 2nd. My wife's '22 Macan GTS with just 12k miles is in the shop right now. I think it has Gremlins! The car starts but can't move the gear lever. Out of curiosity, I scanned the ECU and it appears to be a shift lock solenoid failure, among other things. When this happens, the instrument cluster goes completely dark. This happened 6 times in one day; she had to shut it off & restart to get it to work and now the check engine light is on. I checked the battery and it's fully charged & 100% healthy. This car behaved strangely in the past electronic-wise but have always cleared itself. I thought this would be one of few cars that I was gong to keep out of warranty but it will be up for adoption sooner than later. Food for thought.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 06-26-2024 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:22 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I've never purchased or considered purchasing an extended warranty but I would for the Macan. I've heard good things about Fidelity but I have no personal experience. Having owned numerous new cars in my life, I've only had one lemon and I hope our Macan doesn't turn out to be the 2nd. My wife's '22 Macan GTS with just 12k miles is in the shop right now. I think it has Gremlins! The car starts but can't move the gear lever. Out of curiosity, I scanned the ECU and it appears to be a shift lock solenoid failure, among other things. When this happens, the instrument cluster goes completely dark. This happened 6 times in one day; she had to shut it off & restart to get it to work and now the check engine light is on. I checked the battery and it's fully charged & 100% healthy. This car behaved strangely in the past electronic-wise but have always cleared itself. I thought this would be one of few cars that I was gong to keep out of warranty but it will be up for adoption sooner than later. Food for thought.
Our 2020 goes to the dealer tomorrow, throwing numerous codes and a check engine light as well. Airbag modules, Instrument Cluster, and Throttle Body. I cleared them all with my my Autel Scanner to see if that would remedy but they were all back on in less than 20 miles. Still under warranty for another 62 days, but it got me to thinking about an extension. I'm no stranger to automotive work, I do a lot in my own garage, but these newer machines are quite complex electronically and chasing electrical can be far more difficult than doing a brake job or suspension parts.

I'll explore Fidelity. That price seems more reasonable and rather than needing everything - I'm OK with something that is a bit less than the Porsche extended warranty.

Old 06-26-2024, 10:23 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Originally Posted by jmoney99
These are all a ripoff. Take the money and put it in a ROTH IRA or brokerage fund making 7-10%. 2015-2018 had the transfer case issues. Doubtful you’d have issues with the 2020 until you hit 100K miles (may need a water pump or thermostat then). Dealer quoted you their prices. An Indy mechanic would charge 25-30% what the dealer costs.
LOL, if you're only making 7 to 10% in the Market Jmoney99, you might want to get a better financial advisor!
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 10:57 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,174 Posts

You may want to check to see if Fidelity covers component failure that is defined as associated damage. I've read that if the water pump fails, coolant can be drawn into the vacuum system and cause it to fail. The question for Fidelity is - if that were to occur, would they cover both the water pump replacement and the repair of the vacuum system. (I understand that this overall repair can be quite costly.)

I believe that the factory extended warranty would cover the total repair.

I've had good experience with a Fidelity Platinum warranty - however I never had to approach them with the associated damage issue.

The thread below references the water pump / vacuum system issue (from the 9Y0 Cayenne forum - however I believe the Macan S V6 would potentially have the same issue)

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ng-issues.html

Last edited by Ironman88; 06-26-2024 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2024, 02:06 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Our 2020 goes to the dealer tomorrow, throwing numerous codes and a check engine light as well. Airbag modules, Instrument Cluster, and Throttle Body. I cleared them all with my my Autel Scanner to see if that would remedy but they were all back on in less than 20 miles. Still under warranty for another 62 days, but it got me to thinking about an extension. I'm no stranger to automotive work, I do a lot in my own garage, but these newer machines are quite complex electronically and chasing electrical can be far more difficult than doing a brake job or suspension parts.

I'll explore Fidelity. That price seems more reasonable and rather than needing everything - I'm OK with something that is a bit less than the Porsche extended warranty.
The funny thing with “Gremlins” is that a simple reset (clearing codes and/or disconnecting the negative battery cable) usually is just a bandage on a deep cut, so to speak. I can turn a wrench and somewhat still enjoy it but I won’t mess with electronics. I’m looking at the new Cayenne GTS and the 992.2TTS but having second thoughts on Porsche products. High tech and lackluster quality is a recipe for disaster.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:58 AM
jmoney99
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, if you're only making 7 to 10% in the Market Jmoney99, you might want to get a better financial advisor!
Was just giving an average / conservative number. Long term average for S&P is 10%. But thanks for the advice.
Old 06-27-2024, 01:13 PM
mark8
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoney99
An Indy mechanic would charge 25-30% what the dealer costs.
... and likely not get every fix 100% right. I know there are a handful of exceptional Indy shops out there, but they are far from the norm. I would not take a Porsche to an Indy shop for anything major, even a "Euro" Indy shop. Maybe for an oil change, but not much more than that. And I certainly can't speak for every dealer, but the guys working in service at my local Porsche dealer have worked on Porsches, by the book, for 15 years plus... minimum. The head tech has been there, at this dealer, for 30 years. They only work on Porsches. That's where I want my car to go. Get to know your service advisor. Be kind to them and respect them and they will return the favor. This is not a vote against extended warranties by the way. I'm just cautioning folks to the viewpoint of "just take it to an indy shop and you will be fine". I would not take that decision lightly with a Porsche.
Old 06-27-2024, 02:18 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

I would so love to add a Macan....

I've had Fidelity in past on a Mini, only car I've ever bought an extended warranty for.
Old 06-28-2024, 01:55 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mark8
... and likely not get every fix 100% right. I know there are a handful of exceptional Indy shops out there, but they are far from the norm. I would not take a Porsche to an Indy shop for anything major, even a "Euro" Indy shop. Maybe for an oil change, but not much more than that. And I certainly can't speak for every dealer, but the guys working in service at my local Porsche dealer have worked on Porsches, by the book, for 15 years plus... minimum. The head tech has been there, at this dealer, for 30 years. They only work on Porsches. That's where I want my car to go. Get to know your service advisor. Be kind to them and respect them and they will return the favor. This is not a vote against extended warranties by the way. I'm just cautioning folks to the viewpoint of "just take it to an indy shop and you will be fine". I would not take that decision lightly with a Porsche.
I personally don’t have much confidence with dealerships. Case in point: I was notified today that my car was ready. The SA said that the tech could not replicate the issues and that they just cleared the fault codes. Hmmmm….what a waste of my time as I could have done the same myself! About an hour before heading out to pick up the car, the SA called and said that my car was “stuck” in their car wash because they couldn’t move the shift lever (original problem). Ironic!
The following 3 users liked this post by luv2sleep:
dak911 (07-01-2024), Highline-Autos.com (06-28-2024), Larson E. Rapp (06-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Porsche Protection Plan (extended warranty) for Macan