Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

'24 Cayenne Hybrid owners - what do they sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 01:18 AM
MAXFPS
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Question '24 Cayenne Hybrid owners - what do they sound like?

I've got a '24 base Cayenne that I love so much I've ordered the Turbo E-Hybrid version with a crazy amount of options that will hopefully be here late October. One option that I was torn about spec'ing was Sports Exhaust, and despite watching every YT video on the hybrids I could find, they never seemed clear on how the hybrid versions sounded in various modes. Porsche specs as standard equipment on the TEH "Electric Sound", which I assume is only active in full E-power mode? I've never seen any video driving in E-power mode say one word or record what that actually sounds like inside the cabin or outside. One video that said it had the Turbo in E-power mode inside cut to a drive-by shot with a wonderful V8 rumble. Was that just poor editing? Was it actually running the V8 then? Sports Exhaust option faking a V8 in E-power? Or is that "Electric Sound"? I'm super curious. I eventually decided not to go with Sports Exhaust as I saw one commenter say it was always loud, even when Sports Exhaust was off. I'd love to have the full range from Dr. Jeckyll to Mr. Hyde, but realistically 90% of the time quiet is more important to me.

If anyone has a video of their what their Hybrid Cayenne in E-power vs. Sports sounds like, with Sports Exhaust on/off, I'd really appreciate hearing it!
Old 06-26-2024, 11:17 AM
Gotil83
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a S E Hybrid with performance exhaust and I would 110% reorder it again. It looks better and everytime I switch from e power to sport or sport plus it give a loud pop sound.

The Eletric sound is just sound that let people know a Eletric car is coming. If you ever heard a EV drive by, it just sound like that while in E power mode. Is not trying to fake any exhause sound.

I love driving in EV mode and currently 90 percent of driving is in EV but i still like to have the option of a exhaust that can do pops and crackles in sport or sport plus mode

Last edited by Gotil83; 06-26-2024 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MAXFPS (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 12:48 AM
MAXFPS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gotil83
I have a S E Hybrid with performance exhaust and I would 110% reorder it again. It looks better and everytime I switch from e power to sport or sport plus it give a loud pop sound.

The Eletric sound is just sound that let people know a Eletric car is coming. If you ever heard a EV drive by, it just sound like that while in E power mode. Is not trying to fake any exhause sound.

I love driving in EV mode and currently 90 percent of driving is in EV but i still like to have the option of a exhaust that can do pops and crackles in sport or sport plus mode
This is great feedback, thanks! So in E-power mode inside, is it super quiet or does it make an "electric car sound" via the stereo speakers?
Old 06-27-2024, 08:47 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,876 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by MAXFPS
This is great feedback, thanks! So in E-power mode inside, is it super quiet or does it make an "electric car sound" via the stereo speakers?
quiet - nothing apparently on the stereo in ePower mode - noise is outside the vehicle and only at low speeds to alert pedestrians…other than road-noise/wind-noise ePower mode is super quiet.
MAXFPS (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 09:29 AM
rajatparihar
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 113 Posts

as Gotil83 mentioned the epower sound is to let pedestrians know about your car coming - its just a standard electric car sound.
The sports exhaust is a must tick option IMO - it just gives a character to the ICE engine in Sports / Sports+ / or even in hybrid mode (if you turn it ON via PCM)

Here is a video of 2023 e-hybrid with PSE on. - I cold started my car with PSE ON in sports mode, rev'd it at this mode and then switched off the PSE at 01:00 and then switched back on at 01:11

The car doesn't rev over 3000rpm - I think it's locked or just a regulation here in Europe.

Last edited by rajatparihar; 06-27-2024 at 09:43 AM.
MAXFPS (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 12:04 PM
Gotil83
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

It is super quiet inside, But i also have the insulated glass and no it does not affect my cell phone reception.

I think the youtube video you referring to i saw it too, in spot or sport plus mode,with sport exhaust, it doesn't matter if you turn it off or on, you will still heard it. That is true. I think is because going from ev mode to engine mode, there is just too much of a difference not to notice it.
MAXFPS (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 12:05 PM
SWxSec
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a 24 TEH. You need to tick PSE. Car sounds amazing, very deep and throaty. Up shifts under high load sound phenomenal. Much quieter in the cabin compared to 992 TTS.
MAXFPS (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 01:50 AM
MAXFPS
Advanced

Originally Posted by rajatparihar
as Gotil83 mentioned the epower sound is to let pedestrians know about your car coming - its just a standard electric car sound.
The sports exhaust is a must tick option IMO - it just gives a character to the ICE engine in Sports / Sports+ / or even in hybrid mode (if you turn it ON via PCM)

Here is a video of 2023 e-hybrid with PSE on. - I cold started my car with PSE ON in sports mode, rev'd it at this mode and then switched off the PSE at 01:00 and then switched back on at 01:11

https://youtu.be/Ns1GgNt119I

The car doesn't rev over 3000rpm - I think it's locked or just a regulation here in Europe.
This is a super helpful video - thank you!! That does sound fantastic. I'd read elsewhere that all the E-hybrids start up in E-Power mode. Sounds like you're able to cold-start it in Sports mode though - I'm guessing thru a PCM setting?
Old 06-28-2024, 01:59 AM
MAXFPS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gotil83
It is super quiet inside, But i also have the insulated glass and no it does not affect my cell phone reception.

I think the youtube video you referring to i saw it too, in spot or sport plus mode,with sport exhaust, it doesn't matter if you turn it off or on, you will still heard it. That is true. I think is because going from ev mode to engine mode, there is just too much of a difference not to notice it.
That is good to know. While I love the sounds from @rajatparihar 's great video, I thought it sounded good even with PSE off too and I'd want quiet for most of my long highway trips. An always-louder exhaust might wear on me (and insulated glass was unfortunately on stop order). I'm getting the V-8 Hybrid, so hopefully that will be good enough "vroom" as my build is locked and goes to production next week. You and @SWxSec all have me second-guessing my choice pretty good though! Thanks for all your help guys!
mdrobc1213 (07-08-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 05:06 AM
rajatparihar
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 113 Posts

That is good to know. While I love the sounds from @rajatparihar 's great video, I thought it sounded good even with PSE off too and I'd want quiet for most of my long highway trips. An always-louder exhaust might wear on me (and insulated glass was unfortunately on stop order). I'm getting the V-8 Hybrid, so hopefully that will be good enough "vroom" as my build is locked and goes to production next week. You and @SWxSec all have me second-guessing my choice pretty good though! Thanks for all your help guys!
Hey. Morning. Yea i started my car in sports mode - you could turn on the ignotion first and then rotate the drive select **** to sports before firing off the engine. Thats the way
The v8 with PSE will be a lot better 100%
MAXFPS (06-29-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 07:29 AM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 78 Posts

I've got a '24 base Cayenne that I love so much I've ordered the Turbo E-Hybrid version with a crazy amount of options that will hopefully be here late October. One option that I was torn about spec'ing was Sports Exhaust, and despite watching every YT video on the hybrids I could find, they never seemed clear on how the hybrid versions sounded in various modes. Porsche specs as standard equipment on the TEH "Electric Sound", which I assume is only active in full E-power mode? I've never seen any video driving in E-power mode say one word or record what that actually sounds like inside the cabin or outside. One video that said it had the Turbo in E-power mode inside cut to a drive-by shot with a wonderful V8 rumble. Was that just poor editing? Was it actually running the V8 then? Sports Exhaust option faking a V8 in E-power? Or is that "Electric Sound"? I'm super curious. I eventually decided not to go with Sports Exhaust as I saw one commenter say it was always loud, even when Sports Exhaust was off. I'd love to have the full range from Dr. Jeckyll to Mr. Hyde, but realistically 90% of the time quiet is more important to me.

If anyone has a video of their what their Hybrid Cayenne in E-power vs. Sports sounds like, with Sports Exhaust on/off, I'd really appreciate hearing it!
Recently took delivery of a Turbo E Hybrid.

EV mode sounds like an electric car. Interior has the typical EV motor whine, and the outside will play that video game magical hum (like a Prius or Kia) to let pedestrians know (only audible if your windows are down).

When the exhaust is on, it sounds just like any other V8 Cayenne, no different than my previous V8 GTS. No electric noise is noticeable inside or out as it disables the exterior hum.
MAXFPS (06-29-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 10:31 AM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

I just picked up a CPO '21 E-Hybrid yesterday and drove it 300 miles home. Coming from a BMW PHEV, I'll say that the electric "sound" is very strange. Most EVs and PHEVs have sort of a sci-fi sound to alert pedestrians you're coming. The Cayenne's is like.. semi mechanical and sort of sounds like a mechanical system that's rubbing or scraping in a weird way. I'll have to go outside and have my wife drive by to hear it better.

I have stock exhaust it's pretty quiet and pedestrian. In comparison a Cayman's non-PSE exhaust will still rip. No ripping here. PSE might be cool.
MAXFPS (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 12:40 AM
MAXFPS
Advanced

Originally Posted by obbob
Recently took delivery of a Turbo E Hybrid.

EV mode sounds like an electric car. Interior has the typical EV motor whine, and the outside will play that video game magical hum (like a Prius or Kia) to let pedestrians know (only audible if your windows are down).

When the exhaust is on, it sounds just like any other V8 Cayenne, no different than my previous V8 GTS. No electric noise is noticeable inside or out as it disables the exterior hum.
This is very helpful - thank you!

Quick Reply: '24 Cayenne Hybrid owners - what do they sound like?