Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving with the A/C on these cars is terrible..

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 12:07 PM
XuTVJet
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Driving with the A/C on these cars is terrible..

It's surprising to me just how laggy my 2011 Cayman Base 6MT is when the A/C is on and it's hot/muggy out (less oxygen density air). You really have to giving the motor at bit more rpm leaving the line and better manage the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts to make it smooth. The A/C works very well, but definitely has a drag on the high strung 2.9 motor. It reminds me of my old 1990 CRX Si with the A/C on in terms of the difference in the way the car drives. I only run the A/C in the Cayman when it's hot out and I have a passenger. This car was clearly designed to be driven with the A/C off and windows down. Different animal and drives so well like that. I would imagine the PDK drives quite a bit better with the A/C and may not be as noticeable.

Last edited by XuTVJet; 06-19-2024 at 12:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mfleahy (Yesterday)
Old 06-19-2024, 12:10 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 122 Posts

On my '05 base Boxster I dont noticed any difference with the AC on or not.
Old 06-19-2024, 12:42 PM
XuTVJet
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
On my '05 base Boxster I dont noticed any difference with the AC on or not.
Automatic or 6MT? Do you drive with the A/C on all the time? If I put my Cayman into "auto", the A/C is on almost all the time. With the A/C on in my Cayman, it feels like the flywheel is twice as heavy. It makes sense though as the compressor is pretty big and puts a lot of drag on the accessories. 90+ and muggy doesn't help things. The effect isn't remotely as noticeable if it's 70 and I'm running the A/C for defrosting purposes.
Old 06-19-2024, 01:34 PM
snakedoc
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. My '06 Boxster manual operates the same with AC on or off.
Old 06-19-2024, 01:48 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 244 Posts

Seems odd. Admittedly mine is a 2010 CS (manual), but I've never noticed any impact from the A/C being on or off.
Old 06-19-2024, 01:59 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 319 Posts

Guys, everything in his Cayman is not working right. Nobody knows why!
Old 06-19-2024, 02:11 PM
Julian_KCMO
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by XuTVJet
It's surprising to me just how laggy my 2011 Cayman Base 6MT is when the A/C is on and it's hot/muggy out (less oxygen density air). You really have to giving the motor at bit more rpm leaving the line and better manage the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts to make it smooth. The A/C works very well, but definitely has a drag on the high strung 2.9 motor. It reminds me of my old 1990 CRX Si with the A/C on in terms of the difference in the way the car drives. I only run the A/C in the Cayman when it's hot out and I have a passenger. This car was clearly designed to be driven with the A/C off and windows down. Different animal and drives so well like that. I would imagine the PDK drives quite a bit better with the A/C and may not be as noticeable.
I tend to drive with my climate set to Auto all the time but will try this tonight on the way home from work (if it stops raining). There will be a difference of course but hopefully negligable to me.

Cheers,
Julian
Old 06-19-2024, 02:33 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 244 Posts

Anyway, I don't know if you actually have an issue or not, but regardless you may want to try a Sprint Booster. I'm pretty sure the 987.2 nerfs the throttle when the clutch is down, and if you're used to driving a traditional mechanical-linkage throttle (like I am) it can at times be annoyingly challenging to get a smooth pull-away or rev match shifts in my experience.

The Sprint Booster remaps the throttle to make it adjustably more responsive. It doesn't add any power or make the car any faster, but it's a night-and-day difference in drivability. That may help minimize the impact of the additional compressor drag if that is in fact what you're feeling.

Do a search: pretty much everyone on here who's tried one will swear by it.
The following users liked this post:
Ric In RVA (Yesterday)
Old 06-19-2024, 02:59 PM
XuTVJet
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrMoose
Anyway, I don't know if you actually have an issue or not, but regardless you may want to try a Sprint Booster. I'm pretty sure the 987.2 nerfs the throttle when the clutch is down, and if you're used to driving a traditional mechanical-linkage throttle (like I am) it can at times be annoyingly challenging to get a smooth pull-away or rev match shifts in my experience.

The Sprint Booster remaps the throttle to make it adjustably more responsive. It doesn't add any power or make the car any faster, but it's a night-and-day difference in drivability. That may help minimize the impact of the additional compressor drag if that is in fact what you're feeling.

Do a search: pretty much everyone on here who's tried one will swear by it.
I have the Sprint Booster. It's great. My car also has Sport Chrono and I run in Sport all the time.
Old 06-19-2024, 03:19 PM
XuTVJet
Instructor

Originally Posted by ekam
Guys, everything in his Cayman is not working right. Nobody knows why!
Pretty much I'm probably more just in tune with my cars than others. I drive this car all the time, in all conditions and temps except for snow unless absolutely necessary. Most owners on this site seem to drive them a couple thousand miles a year and on weekends.

I'm not worried nor do I think there's an issue. The A/C is strong, the temps very well managed, idle is fine, no power band hiccups. the A/C shuts off with full throttle, etc. it's just surprising how much more lag there is when leaving the line and on shifts. It can make me feel like a manual driving amateur when leaving the line and on the 1-2 or 2-3 shifts unless I rev a bit higher as the A/C accessory drag drops the rpms much faster. Those with 3.2-3.4 motors might not notice much difference given the added displacement. My guess is Porsche does a mild throttle recalibration when the A/C is on and perhaps it's at odds with Sport mode plus the Sprint Booster being on (Sport setting #2). I know BMW modifies the throttle sensitivity when the A/C is on to account for accessory drag. Again, I don't think someone with a Tiptronic or PDK will notice much difference.
Old 06-19-2024, 03:28 PM
XuTVJet
Instructor

Originally Posted by Julian_KCMO
I tend to drive with my climate set to Auto all the time but will try this tonight on the way home from work (if it stops raining). There will be a difference of course but hopefully negligable to me.

Cheers,
Julian
I'll be curious to hear your thoughts since you live in the same area. I don't notice much difference when it's cooler out and it's in Auto as the A/C doesn't seem to cycle much or as aggressively. 90+ and muggy though? Way different driving experience for me.
Old 06-19-2024, 05:37 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

90F and muggy today. 987.2 S. 6MT.

No difference.
Old 06-19-2024, 05:58 PM
XuTVJet
Instructor

I'm not alone. Some of these 986 owners certainly can feel the difference I'm describing and it's not an old thread either: https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-...s-power-c.html

Tonight I'll turn the Sprint Booster off and see if it impacts anything.
Old 06-19-2024, 06:04 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

I have an 05 BS and previously had an 86 CRX Si. If turning on the AC in your Cayman reminds you of an old CRX, I’d say something is wrong with your car.
Old 06-19-2024, 06:37 PM
Aussie skypig
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

2008 Cayman S, 6 MT.
I can’t detect a difference with the AC on. Except for the cold air coming into the cabin. A godsend in Australia.
(I’m enjoying winter - no AC and the window down - Wind in the hair and the Flat 6 symphony.)

Quick Reply: Driving with the A/C on these cars is terrible..