Sponsored by:

992 Carrera S - Exhaust Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2024, 09:11 PM
Rx911
4th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default 992 Carrera S - Exhaust Advice

Based on my searches the lackluster sound of the PSE is a common issue. I've done a deep dive on Flat 6 Motorsports and watched all of their videos on all the exhaust systems but have a hard time getting a good sense on how the systems differ with the audio.

This past weekend, I heard a full Soul valveless exhaust system with high-flow cats in person and was blown away, it sounds amazing. To add to that, my dealership is now offering tuning with GIAC (warranty stays intact) as well as Tubi Style exhaust purchase and install. I do have some reservations and don't want to jump straight to going with a full Soul system if I may be satisfied along the way. My current thoughts are to try the cargraphic valve controller first, and if that doesn't scratch my itch to then move up to Soul high-flow cats, then add the valved exhaust if it's still not enough. I wanted to see if anybody can share their advice on what route they took to get their exhaust sound to a place they were happy with. If any of you have any good audio/videos to share as well that would be helpful.
Old 06-02-2024, 09:46 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 481 Posts

Cargraphic first. Then go from there. Sport cats for volume. Catback for tone.

Sport cats likely require tune to avoid CEL.

Skip cargraphic and get M Eng tune if you’re considering a tune anyway.

Dealer doesn’t decide warranty and can’t guarantee you anything.
The following 3 users liked this post by jhenson29:
Fullyield (06-03-2024), NigelPlays (06-02-2024), TK42ONE (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 11:21 PM
Hotshottt06
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a GTS, but I started with cargraphic and it wasn't enough for me. I went with iPE stainless after watching all the Flat6 videos (still on factory cats). It does sound much better with a whole lot more turbo sounds. Probably will end up with sport cats eventually too, I like loud sports cars and it's my weekend car. Here's a sound clip on cold start with valves full open.

The following users liked this post:
Galvano (06-09-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 12:00 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,070 Likes on 2,031 Posts

There is no tune where your warranty from PCNA stays intact. It’s explicitly written in the manual that even if the product is installed or sold by an authorized dealer, it doesn’t matter if it’s not from Porsche.
Chris Connor (06-07-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 12:12 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,648 Likes on 1,247 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
There is no tune where your warranty from PCNA stays intact. It’s explicitly written in the manual that even if the product is installed or sold by an authorized dealer, it doesn’t matter if it’s not from Porsche.
Quite correct! Also, if the "Tune" changes the Emissions Check Digit in the Computer, and even when returned to the original programing this isn't restored correctly . . . . . . not only will the dealer and manufacturer (Porsche in this case) know it's been messed with. In some states, the car won't pass the periodic State SMOG Check test needed to renew the vehicle registration.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 06-03-2024 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:24 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Here are the steps and order I would follow and stop when you are pleased with the exhaust:

1..) Cargraphic valve controller and assess
2.) Valved or valveless catback exhaust system (stainless, titanium or inconel) and reassess. Sell valve controller if valveless
3.) Sport cats
4.) Tune

This allows you to install 1 & 2 and fully assess before installing 3 & 4 with potential warranty issues discussed above. You can also enjoy 1 & 2 until warranty expires and warranty issue becomes a moot point. If you have already decided on a tune, however, go for all of it and do not need controller.

Last edited by Fullyield; 06-03-2024 at 08:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fullyield:
drcollie (06-03-2024), Vicbastige (06-03-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 09:12 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Do your mods in stages is best, as you can see what each one does. If you do everything at once, then don't like it - you're not sure which of those mods is causing the dislike. I learned that the hard way with a 2007 Aston Martin. Did everything all at once (Exhaust, Sport Cats) and the car was so loud it was undriveable on public roads, you could hear it half a mile away. Also, doing it in stages lets you check for the dreaded highway drone, some exhaust mods will result in that, others not so much.
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
Fullyield (06-03-2024), Master Deep (06-03-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 10:24 AM
redeye992
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Here are the steps and order I would follow and stop when you are pleased with the exhaust:

1..) Cargraphic valve controller and assess
2.) Valved or valveless catback exhaust system (stainless, titanium or inconel) and reassess. Sell valve controller if valveless
3.) Sport cats
4.) Tune

This allows you to install 1 & 2 and fully assess before installing 3 & 4 with potential warranty issues discussed above. You can also enjoy 1 & 2 until warranty expires and warranty issue becomes a moot point. If you have already decided on a tune, however, go for all of it and do not need controller.
Good idea. I might do that. Question. When you install the cargraphic valve controller, what happens to the PSE button? Does it not matter anymore or does it still make a difference?
Old 06-03-2024, 10:26 AM
alaris
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Even if there is a problem, the only part of the warranty that will be affected is related to that part—e.g. they can’t deny warranty for a power window regulator for an engine mod. The rest of the warranty remains intact.

Further, any warranty denial would have to show that the modification itself caused the problem. A tune is risky. But exhaust systems are much less so.

Last edited by alaris; 06-03-2024 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:50 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by redeye992
Good idea. I might do that. Question. When you install the cargraphic valve controller, what happens to the PSE button? Does it not matter anymore or does it still make a difference?
Here is everything a buyer would want to know about the Cargraphic controller including sellers, operation and installation. Best wishes.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1335...l#post19474075

Old 06-03-2024, 11:27 AM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 751 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by redeye992
There are 2 modes. Mode 1 is valves open, Mode 2 is OEM operation so if the Cargraphic is in mode 2 the PSE button will function as it currently does, in Mode 1 the valves are open all the time.
Old 06-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Rx911
4th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you all for the great advice, it's very helpful. I like the idea of trying the mods on in stages so I'm definitely going to go that route. As far as warranty, the dealer did say specifically they deal with many vehicles with tunes on a daily basis and it has never resulted in a warranty denial. In the event that it did it would be related to the engine and/or transmission and GIAC (the tuner) has a warranty if there is a denial related to the tune. All that being said, not sure I want to put it all to the test. I will start with the Cargraphic and go from there.
Old 06-03-2024, 03:12 PM
alim24
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

PSE, valve controller, and sport cats gives a good sound IMO. Also easy enough to install yourself at home.
Old 06-03-2024, 03:42 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,070 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by alaris
Even if there is a problem, the only part of the warranty that will be affected is related to that part—e.g. they can’t deny warranty for a power window regulator for an engine mod. The rest of the warranty remains intact.

Further, any warranty denial would have to show that the modification itself caused the problem. A tune is risky. But exhaust systems are much less so.
Yeah, how would Porsche ever win that case when they can prove a vehicle was tuned.

I'm not saying don't tune. I'm saying you have to be prepared for if the motor goes when the ECU has been flashed. Even M-Engineering doesn't speak in absolute that the tune is ironclad, undetectable.
Old 06-03-2024, 04:07 PM
Brad Stinson
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts

good advice in this thread with order of mods. One reason to take it in stages is you may come to appreciate a car that sounds good but isn’t crazy loud…e.g. you may get to a point and decide it’s the sweet spot. My 992 is certainly a lot quieter than my 981S was (which had Soul sport cats/exhaust), but I’ve come to actually kind of like it as I don’t feel like an asshat every time I get on it, but it’s still loud enough to give me a good smile every time. FWIW, I settled on valves open 100%, Akra catback, stock cats, and cold start delete. I run valves closed as I leave the neighborhood, then open them as soon as I get on the main road. I’ll also close the valves on long hwy stretches where I’d prefer to listen to music rather than the exhaust. IMO this setup with valves closed sounds very OEM, and even with valves 100% open is what I’d describe as OEM+, not really offensive.
Galvano (06-09-2024)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera S - Exhaust Advice