Notices

Shipping to US from Canada for Bore-Scoring Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 07:26 AM
Eggbert
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Shipping to US from Canada for Bore-Scoring Repair

I'm getting nowhere with this. I'm sure I need a Broker for this type of export and return, but Google tells me I need a Broker in the US as well as a Broker in Canada.

Cheapest shipping rate is UPS, but the UPS store tells me to just to add an address label and send it. I can't have the company down there pay duty on something they will only be sending back.

Apparently UPS does offer brokerage services, but only for air and ocean transport which is my interpretation of what I can find so far.

Most information is for RMA stuff to be repaired or replaced, and that's not what this is.

Freight would likely result in my cylinder block halves ending up in a bonded warehouse and a giant PITA for the company receiving it.

I can't even find a Canadian "Help" phone number for UPS.

Any ideas before I drive 1500 miles or so to make a personal delivery?

Last edited by Eggbert; 05-03-2024 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:06 AM
Joehatz
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts

If you are close to the US border drive it over to the US. stop at Canadian Customs and get the form that says it was originally from Canada. Then you will only pay Tax on the repairs and not the whole amount.
You can have it returned to a UPS office close to the border and pick it up and bring it across. Some UPS stores offer fork lift loading. there are other places at the Border that will accept goods on your behave.
I am located close to Pt Huron MI and have done this.
I sent an Engine. to California for repair and declared what I was doing at US border and had no problem taking it over. Had it shipped back to a Garage in PT Huron that I know, picked it up and brought it back to Canada.
When it is personal use US Customs usually do not concern them selves regarding a Broker. You would need paperwork that shows the Engine is for rebuild and not being sold. The rebuilder should issue paperwork
authorizing the rebuild of the engine.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:59 AM
Eggbert
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank-you for your reply. Unfortunately I'm a long way from the border, but I appreciate the efficiency of being there in person. Maybe I can make that work somehow. I appreciate your response.
Old 05-04-2024, 04:27 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,130 Likes on 623 Posts

Contact the recipient to see how they handle imported items? It's likely that they've dealt with it before.
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
Wbrow
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the best shipping company in Canada for sport car

Quick Reply: Shipping to US from Canada for Bore-Scoring Repair