New and looking for a Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 12:01 AM
mrkim
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New and looking for a Panamera

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get a used Panamera, ever since it came out. I simply like the idea that Porsche made a sedan. I'm always a sedan person and like Porsches. So getting a panamera makes sense to me.

I've owned and worked several different cars in my life, mainly Japanese cars from econo box, to track, to luxury cars. I'm pretty knowledgeable with cars... But not super knowledgeable.

I figured I should ask you people here to gain more knowledge into what I should look for and get some sort of direction when purchasing my 1st Porsche especially a panamera.

I'm looking at the 1st gen or pre facelift or facelift and would like to understand the trim levels... I'm leaning towards the V8 but concern about mechanically, but I'm willing to go with the V6 turbo. Again I'm not very knowledgeable about the engines and transmission on these cars. I do know I like the idea of 4WD, but don't mind RWD since majority of my cars I had were RWD.

So, on the market I've been seen a few 100,000+ miles on some 2010- 2014 should I be concerned? What should I do if I do get a high mileage panamera?

Last edited by mrkim; 05-03-2024 at 02:23 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:02 AM
techrider1
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

They are great cars with exceptional build quality. A few things to be mindful of when buying:
- generally, avoid the e-hybrid models. The other variants are very reliable, those not so much.
- service history and condition are more important than mileage.
- 2014-2016 are the most reliable as Porsche worked out the initial kinks of a new model through the first few years. They also have other improvements as a facelift model.
- Porsche are very option centric; don't just look at the engine/trim level, see what each car has as options.
- air suspension is amazing (especially with PASM and PDCC options), but costs more to maintain (new air springs every ~10 years - a $2k expense.
- like any car, prepurchase inspection is absolutely essential

the average annual repair and maintenance cost works out between $1000 and $1500 depending on the model and options, which is not bad - about the same as a Mercedes or BMW. It's key to find a shop that has PIWIS software, Porsche expertise who is honest and doesn't try to price gouge. I've seen some shops literally quote 10x the next shop over (and the cheaper shop was actually better). Those crazy shops and dealers give the cars a bad rap for ownership cost (which is why they're so cheap for what they are). As a knowledgeable buyer it means a great deal to be had.
The following users liked this post:
mrkim (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 02:11 AM
vice_toned
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, I just recently bought a 2011 Panamera S, and so far it's been amazing, great car. The one I have is a low mileage but it has some interior wear and tear.

Honestly, any version of the Panamera is great as long as it's not the e-hybrid ones, they're pretty wild and cost a hell ton to repair, at least over here at where I live, and they have basically phased out of existence. The mechanical issues that you might face well, there are mechanical issues with any car, right? You just need to get the car inspected and preferably find one with a service history. The turbo/turbo s is crazy fast, so if you really wanna fly and go with speed go ahead for that. Otherwise if you want something kind-a fast but still you know, not crazy, go for the S/GTS. Otherwise, stick to the base Panamera, which is STILL fast. The S has been a great car with me, it does have some mechanical kinks that I plan to take care of really soon though, but hey, a Porsche's a Porsche.

What gives defines each Panamera separately are the options: Bose speakers, sports chrono, adjustable seats, etc. Be sure to take care of these. When we were buying the Panamera I was absolutely clueless on them, and went in blind-eyed, but thank god I've managed to get out and now have learned all of that, 2 months too late, so you've made an amazing choice by coming to this forum prior to buying the car.
mrkim (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 02:32 AM
mrkim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by techrider1
They are great cars with exceptional build quality. A few things to be mindful of when buying:
- generally, avoid the e-hybrid models. The other variants are very reliable, those not so much.
- service history and condition are more important than mileage.
- 2014-2016 are the most reliable as Porsche worked out the initial kinks of a new model through the first few years. They also have other improvements as a facelift model.
- Porsche are very option centric; don't just look at the engine/trim level, see what each car has as options.
- air suspension is amazing (especially with PASM and PDCC options), but costs more to maintain (new air springs every ~10 years - a $2k expense.
- like any car, prepurchase inspection is absolutely essential

the average annual repair and maintenance cost works out between $1000 and $1500 depending on the model and options, which is not bad - about the same as a Mercedes or BMW. It's key to find a shop that has PIWIS software, Porsche expertise who is honest and doesn't try to price gouge. I've seen some shops literally quote 10x the next shop over (and the cheaper shop was actually better). Those crazy shops and dealers give the cars a bad rap for ownership cost (which is why they're so cheap for what they are). As a knowledgeable buyer it means a great deal to be had.
Okay thanks for the advice, yeah I'm looking at few 2010-13 V8 not sure if they are worth it due high miles, then I saw a few 2014-16 V6... As far I know... I would like to get a V8 AWD so I guess it's a 4S any problems with those? Also what is PASM and PDCC?
Do they all come with air suspension?
As for software... I understand it's like when Lexus requires you to have a certain diagnosis program to troubleshoot, but I live very close by a shop called BRracing hopefully they assist me inspecting a car maybe do the maintenance or am I better off going to a dealership?
Old 05-03-2024, 02:46 AM
techrider1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrkim
Okay thanks for the advice, yeah I'm looking at few 2010-13 V8 not sure if they are worth it due high miles, then I saw a few 2014-16 V6... As far I know... I would like to get a V8 AWD so I guess it's a 4S any problems with those? Also what is PASM and PDCC?
Do they all come with air suspension?
As for software... I understand it's like when Lexus requires you to have a certain diagnosis program to troubleshoot, but I live very close by a shop called BRracing hopefully they assist me inspecting a car maybe do the maintenance or am I better off going to a dealership?
BRracing looks like exactly the kind of shop you want to find. You might want to shop around a few shops like that (if they exist in your area) to get a sense of pricing and knowledge. A good shop can cost much less than the dealer for similar or better service.

As far as suspension, nope not all have air suspension.

PASM = Porsche Active Suspension Management option (can change air suspension from soft to firm; also can lift the vehicle up or lower it with press of a button)
PDCC = Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (improves handling and comfort, but requires replacing stabilizer bar bushings every 10 years (~$250)

Other than the e-Hybrid the other drivetrains are very reliable and the choice really just depends on your budget. I would try to get a 2014-2016 in the highest trim level you can afford.
mrkim (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 08:41 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 923 Posts

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get a used Panamera, ever since it came out. I simply like the idea that Porsche made a sedan. I'm always a sedan person and like Porsches. So getting a panamera makes sense to me.

I've owned and worked several different cars in my life, mainly Japanese cars from econo box, to track, to luxury cars. I'm pretty knowledgeable with cars... But not super knowledgeable.

I figured I should ask you people here to gain more knowledge into what I should look for and get some sort of direction when purchasing my 1st Porsche especially a panamera.

I'm looking at the 1st gen or pre facelift or facelift and would like to understand the trim levels... I'm leaning towards the V8 but concern about mechanically, but I'm willing to go with the V6 turbo. Again I'm not very knowledgeable about the engines and transmission on these cars. I do know I like the idea of 4WD, but don't mind RWD since majority of my cars I had were RWD.

So, on the market I've been seen a few 100,000+ miles on some 2010- 2014 should I be concerned? What should I do if I do get a high mileage panamera?
Seek out a 2019 or later with either the EA839 2.9V6TT or EA825 4.0V8TT. The earlier engines have known significant problems. 2.9 seems very robust and the current 4.0 seems OK but has its niggles (water pump failure with collateral damage to the vacuum system as one example).
mrkim (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 09:19 AM
mrkim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by techrider1
BRracing looks like exactly the kind of shop you want to find. You might want to shop around a few shops like that (if they exist in your area) to get a sense of pricing and knowledge. A good shop can cost much less than the dealer for similar or better service.

As far as suspension, nope not all have air suspension.

PASM = Porsche Active Suspension Management option (can change air suspension from soft to firm; also can lift the vehicle up or lower it with press of a button)
PDCC = Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (improves handling and comfort, but requires replacing stabilizer bar bushings every 10 years (~$250)

Other than the e-Hybrid the other drivetrains are very reliable and the choice really just depends on your budget. I would try to get a 2014-2016 in the highest trim level you can afford.
Yeah I wish I could get a 2014-16 a bit out of my price range, even once my current car sells. I don't want to ask for a loan you know what I mean.
Thanks for clarifying me what those means 😂
I may ask them to inspect the car prior purchasing a panamera.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:22 AM
mrkim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chassis
Seek out a 2019 or later with either the EA839 2.9V6TT or EA825 4.0V8TT. The earlier engines have known significant problems. 2.9 seems very robust and the current 4.0 seems OK but has its niggles (water pump failure with collateral damage to the vacuum system as one example).
I really have my heart set for the 4.0 V8 but I'm not sure about 2019 😞... All I can find are 2010-12 mainly V6... Few V8 both seems to be NA.
But thanks for letting me know, you wouldn't happen to know any known problems with those? Engine and transmission wise or anything?
Old 05-03-2024, 11:09 AM
mrkim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vice_toned
Hey, I just recently bought a 2011 Panamera S, and so far it's been amazing, great car. The one I have is a low mileage but it has some interior wear and tear.

Honestly, any version of the Panamera is great as long as it's not the e-hybrid ones, they're pretty wild and cost a hell ton to repair, at least over here at where I live, and they have basically phased out of existence. The mechanical issues that you might face well, there are mechanical issues with any car, right? You just need to get the car inspected and preferably find one with a service history. The turbo/turbo s is crazy fast, so if you really wanna fly and go with speed go ahead for that. Otherwise if you want something kind-a fast but still you know, not crazy, go for the S/GTS. Otherwise, stick to the base Panamera, which is STILL fast. The S has been a great car with me, it does have some mechanical kinks that I plan to take care of really soon though, but hey, a Porsche's a Porsche.

What gives defines each Panamera separately are the options: Bose speakers, sports chrono, adjustable seats, etc. Be sure to take care of these. When we were buying the Panamera I was absolutely clueless on them, and went in blind-eyed, but thank god I've managed to get out and now have learned all of that, 2 months too late, so you've made an amazing choice by coming to this forum prior to buying the car.
Majority of the 2011 I found have 100k+ miles I am looking at the 4S V8. Should I really be concern with high mileage ones?
Old 05-03-2024, 11:16 AM
vice_toned
Track Day

Majority of the 2011 I found have 100k+ miles I am looking at the 4S V8. Should I really be concern with high mileage ones?
If they have a service history and have been serviced WELL, then you'll be fine. Remember, this is a Porsche, not a Toyota.

100,000 miles in my opinion is around the average lot, I found mine and it has 50,000 miles, but it came with some other issues that I'm working on.

Anyways basically, if it has service records, you're good, if not well, avoid it. Find one with service records so you can make sure it was properly maintained.
Proper maintenance is probably the way into having your car last forever.
mrkim (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 11:53 AM
mrkim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vice_toned
If they have a service history and have been serviced WELL, then you'll be fine. Remember, this is a Porsche, not a Toyota.

100,000 miles in my opinion is around the average lot, I found mine and it has 50,000 miles, but it came with some other issues that I'm working on.

Anyways basically, if it has service records, you're good, if not well, avoid it. Find one with service records so you can make sure it was properly maintained.
Proper maintenance is probably the way into having your car last forever.
Thanks, yeah that's true. Funny you mentioned Toyota, currently driving a Lexus so yeah. If you don't mind me asking what kind of issues and are they common issues? So I can be aware?
Old 05-03-2024, 11:58 AM
vice_toned
Track Day

Thanks, yeah that's true. Funny you mentioned Toyota, currently driving a Lexus so yeah. If you don't mind me asking what kind of issues and are they common issues? So I can be aware?
Yep yep, Toyotas are reliable as HELL.

I don't think I have enough expertise to talk about what's some of the common failure, but I heard of air suspension failing, something related to the fuel pump, and other stuff.

Again I personally have not went through any of these failures so I'm unsure. It would be better if someone that has owned a car like this longer speak on it.
mrkim (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:33 PM
techrider1
Rennlist Member

The air suspension isnt so much an issue rather an additional maintenance item. Air springs only last about 8-10 years (on any vehicle) and need to be replaced within that interval. When people don't proactively replace them then they eventually leak and become an issue, and sometimes take the compressor or valve box down with them. The problem is compounded when people replace the original high quality air springs with cheap poorly rebuilt aftermarket parts, which may not last nearly as long and can keep failing.

It's like never replacing your tires and then they're falling apart after many years. And then people are trying to be cheap and buying heavily used tires with almost no tread left rather than a proper replacement set.

These cars are very reliable if you maintain them properly.

Last edited by techrider1; 05-03-2024 at 12:39 PM.
mrkim (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:41 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 427 Likes on 311 Posts

You're going to want a '14 or newer, under 80K miles for t0p tier extended warranty coverage, which you will want if looking for an older example. Common issues I see our warranty customers have replaced on their Panamera's are air suspension, engine and trans mounts, A/C compressor, door handles/latches, and PCM issues (Porsche infotainment). You can reach me at tgibson@highline-autos.com or (855) 924-1333 if you have any questions or would like more information.

As always, you want a PPI on any vehicle you're serious about, $200 can save you literally thousands of dollars and the headache of buying a lemon of a Panamera. Good luck!

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 02 https://bit.ly/49A6n4M

mrkim (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:56 PM
mrkim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
You're going to want a '14 or newer, under 80K miles for t0p tier extended warranty coverage, which you will want if looking for an older example. Common issues I see our warranty customers have replaced on their Panamera's are air suspension, engine and trans mounts, A/C compressor, door handles/latches, and PCM issues (Porsche infotainment). You can reach me at tgibson@highline-autos.com or (855) 924-1333 if you have any questions or would like more information.

As always, you want a PPI on any vehicle you're serious about, $200 can save you literally thousands of dollars and the headache of buying a lemon of a Panamera. Good luck!
I mean engine and transmission mounts that's understandable and overlooked maintenance part, AC yeah I can understand that as well. PCM... That sounds costly.
I'm sorry for sounding new what is PPI?
I do intend to get warranty once I purchase a used Panamera.

Quick Reply: New and looking for a Panamera