Porsche TSBs and PCM memory headaches

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 09:46 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Porsche TSBs and PCM memory headaches

Searching to see if there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) concerning an issue I'm having with the PCM on my 2014 991 -- it is downloading memory settings from the key each time I start the car even though the car does not have the memory package and it just resets all the PCM settings to the defaults, which erases any audio and map adjustments you've made, among other things.

I can find lists of the various TSBs by title, but not where you can actually read them, at least for the 911s. Anyone aware of a place where they can actually be read? Seems to be some of the earlier Macan ones online, for example.

Seems like the dealer should be able to either disable the key function on the PIWIS, or make the car believe it actually has the memory package, in which case you can disable the key settings in the preferences, but that preference does not appear unless the car has the memory package. I tried to have the local dealer do this yesterday and they had no idea what I was talking about and spent an hour playing with the preferences on the car, which I had already checked.

Or, is there a place where you can see the various PIWIS settings? I note that in the PIWIS user manual it reads the following:

11.2.7 Customer-specific settings
The customer-specific settings basically enable the vehicle to be configured in accordance with the customer’s wishes. This involves special functions available in individual systems.
The customer-specific settings of one or more (all) control units can be listed by selecting one or more control units.
Examples of customer-specific settings include
Comfort closing of the doors/windows
Visual/acoustic seat-belt warning
Activating steering wheel heating in conjunction with seat heating

Seems like it might be possible based on that. Some people have apparently fixed this issue through their dealers but no one has specifics that I could tell my dealer about.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:10 PM
ddolbi
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

You can disable memory function for PCM in PIWIS. In Piwis 3 (E) engineering mode. Select HeadUnit. Go to Coding programming. Select manual coding without coding rules (development) then Select All. Scroll down and select "Mehrausstattung:Mehrausstattungen Teil 2 Individual Memory deaktiviert". Click next (F12). Change value to yes. Write the code (F8). It should take less than 10 minutes. Good luck.

Last edited by ddolbi; 04-30-2024 at 12:24 PM. Reason: adding photo
The following users liked this post:
vjd3 (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 12:38 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you!
Old 04-30-2024, 03:26 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

@dougpaw57
Old 05-10-2024, 01:36 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just an update, ran the car by the dealer ... the tech wrote "Customer states radio sets to factory settings everytime vehicle is turned on. Confirmed concern, customer supplied directions (as noted above) do not apply to current generation scan tool. Per Bulletin ATI 1802 9110 PCM function enabling needs to be reactivated to disable memory. Performed function enabling and let vehicle sit, rechecked PCM, no longer resets due to memory settings."

But thank you, ddolbi for posting the instructions, as it did help getting the issue resolved.

Quick Reply: Porsche TSBs and PCM memory headaches