Notices

Car Packing Essentials

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 12:34 PM
jstap808
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Car Packing Essentials

Been a while since I owned a car (city living unfortunately) and will be getting a 992 C2S shortly! I wanted to know what the forum always keeps in their car in the event of emergencies/longer trips/must haves.

Thinking things like pressure gauge, tire inflator, med-kit, tissues/napkins, etc. What else do you keep in your car that would be valuable for everyday scenarios?
Old 04-29-2024, 04:09 PM
PZombie
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great question. It will partially depend on the type of driving you do & the season. However, for starters, your 992 should arleady come with a tire inflator, which has an air gauge. I also purchased a Porsche Tequipment air gauge just because most random off-the-shelf air gagues don't fit properly.

Basics that work for me:
1. air gauge
2. Qt. of Oil appropriate for the car & season
3. small, multi-purpose tool in glove comparment (small knife, bottle opener, wine-bottle opener)
4. two plastic water bottles (to wash off bird-poop or rinse windshield)
5. soft napkins/paper towels/ or micro-cloth
6. Windshield sun protector
7. pack of spare fuses, OEM only.
8. car mats for the season
9. Micro-flashlight
Trips/Seasonal Items
1. I add a few band-aids & two blood-clot packs
2. Seasonal items such as window ice scraper, folding/collapsible snow shovel (Black Diamond makes the best) or Extra water & beach towel if summer (towels to protect seats)
3. a few hundred dollars cash (in 20's) & copy of Driver License hidden in the car registration pouch
4. collapsible, fold-flat fuel and water can. These take up very little space...can fit under the seats or wherever. When you need these, you need these!
5. jumper cables depending on where I am going and how long I will be out.

On the few occassions I've crossed Death Valley or crossed snow-covered mountains, I 've adjusted accordingly for common, "what-if" sitiuations. I've found the basic tools included witht the car's tool kit to be enough. For anything more, I won't be doing any road-side repairs, but calling for service or a tow,
Old 04-30-2024, 12:01 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 291 Posts

If there was ever a person to ask about what you need in your car in an emergency, it’s PZombie (unfortunately). 😜
Old 04-30-2024, 08:24 PM
jstap808
Advanced

This is exactly what I was looking for a thoughtful, well laid out response. Should have this pinned to the top.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2024, 10:28 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 965 Likes on 579 Posts

Depends on how far from home, and far from help. And on weather and terrain.

During winter, we never go far without a bag containing extra-warm clothes, hats, gloves, etc, plus some water and food. And we usually have a blanket or two in the car. Like towels in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, small blankets can be essential, not just for warmth but for ground cover, wrapping delicate or potentially scratchy or dirty things before they go in the car, and more. In summer, we always have water in the car, plus just what we take for drinking that day.

Other stuff: actual flash light (yeah, phones can be lights, but might have more important uses), simple hand tools (IMO, the few things that come with the car are not really tools), duct tape, tire plug kit, mini jump starter (check it periodically for charge), oil, etc. Since we can car beyond cell coverage and far from service, I bought a collapsible spare, jack, and proper lug nut wrench.

Of course, a different kit (for a different kind of driver) would include Glock, credit cards, and whisky.
The following users liked this post:
SSDVC (05-03-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 11:40 PM
jstap808
Advanced

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Depends on how far from home, and far from help. And on weather and terrain.

During winter, we never go far without a bag containing extra-warm clothes, hats, gloves, etc, plus some water and food. And we usually have a blanket or two in the car. Like towels in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, small blankets can be essential, not just for warmth but for ground cover, wrapping delicate or potentially scratchy or dirty things before they go in the car, and more. In summer, we always have water in the car, plus just what we take for drinking that day.

Other stuff: actual flash light (yeah, phones can be lights, but might have more important uses), simple hand tools (IMO, the few things that come with the car are not really tools), duct tape, tire plug kit, mini jump starter (check it periodically for charge), oil, etc. Since we can car beyond cell coverage and far from service, I bought a collapsible spare, jack, and proper lug nut wrench.

Of course, a different kit (for a different kind of driver) would include Glock, credit cards, and whisky.
2 of the last 3 are speaking to me!

Quick Reply: Car Packing Essentials