Macan 2014-Current

Turbo Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 11:31 AM
mark8
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Turbo Ride Height

So it is well documented that the GTS sits an inch lower than the Turbo. I am curious 1) why? and 2) what mechanically affects the difference.

Turbo and GTS appear to use the same ride height sensor links, so it's not that. Is it simply a programming difference? Or are there parts differences. I am asking these questions because I am looking to take my Turbo down an inch to be in the neighborhood of the GTS. But I'm not sure if links are the best way to do it, or if there is a simple programming change that might get it done without changing any parts.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:15 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 312 Likes on 187 Posts

If anyone knows- it the height of the Turbo with air springs- at the low setting in the 3 level range- the same as the GTS?
Old 04-29-2024, 03:08 PM
mark8
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
If anyone knows- it the height of the Turbo with air springs- at the low setting in the 3 level range- the same as the GTS?
I'm fairly certain the answer is 'no'. I believe the GTS sits exactly 1" lower in both 'Normal' and 'Sport' settings. I am not sure about Off Road setting, and I suspect no one cares about that setting

I would be interesting to know 'why' the GTS was spec-ed to sit lower...
Old 04-29-2024, 07:54 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

I was asking about ride height with air suspension. My '18 turbo with air suspension has three selectable levels independently of the drive mode (eg default/sport/sport+)
Old 04-29-2024, 09:40 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 435 Likes on 294 Posts

For your info, a 2022 GTS with air suspension and PASM has three height settings: low, normal and high (off road). Compared to "normal", low level is 0.79 inches lower and "off road" is 1.57 inches higher.
In addition, the suspension has three chassis modes: normal, sport and sport+.
All options can be set independently via buttons (?) on the center console.
All settings (except off road) become the default once selected.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:59 PM
mark8
Advanced

I was asking about ride height with air suspension. My '18 turbo with air suspension has three selectable levels independently of the drive mode (eg default/sport/sport+)
Sport and Sport+ are the same ride height. So you have normal and low and then monster truck mode. Are you thinking of damper settings? There you have 3 settings for stiffness.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:22 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by DBH
For your info, a 2022 GTS with air suspension and PASM has three height settings: low, normal and high (off road). Compared to "normal", low level is 0.79 inches lower and "off road" is 1.57 inches higher.
In addition, the suspension has three chassis modes: normal, sport and sport+.
All options can be set independently via buttons (?) on the center console.
All settings (except off road) become the default once selected.
That is the same as my 2018 Turbo with air suspension and PASM. I was wondering if the 2022 GTS with air suspension and PASM and my Macan have the same ride hights in equivalent settings.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:27 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by mark8
Sport and Sport+ are the same ride height. So you have normal and low and then monster truck mode. Are you thinking of damper settings? There you have 3 settings for stiffness.
No. I was commenting about the ride hight settings, which are determined by the amount of air in the air springs. The damper settings are for the PASM adjustments to the speed of shock absorber response. The drive mode effects mainly involves the ECU.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 04-30-2024 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:22 PM
mark8
Advanced

That is the same as my 2018 Turbo with air suspension and PASM. I was wondering if the 2022 GTS with air suspension and PASM and my Macan have the same ride hights in equivalent settings.
Right, but "normal" ride height is different between GTS and Turbo. GTS is about an inch lower in ALL modes. I'm wondering if it is just programming, or if there are actual parts differences. I'll probably just do some modest lowering links on my Turbo, but I was hoping others might have some insight into WHY the Turbo sits higher...
Old 04-30-2024, 01:43 PM
mark8
Advanced

Next question is WHICH lowering links... I see the ones from Flat 6, but honestly there are a lot of options that are about half the cost and look much better made (aluminum + 304 stainless vs 3D printed plastic). What are folks using? I know this isn't a structural part, but I don't want something that is going to pop off or break while driving...

I'm leaning toward these -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/301528442482
Old 04-30-2024, 01:47 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Right, but "normal" ride height is different between GTS and Turbo. GTS is about an inch lower in ALL modes. I'm wondering if it is just programming, or if there are actual parts differences. I'll probably just do some modest lowering links on my Turbo, but I was hoping others might have some insight into WHY the Turbo sits higher...
Maybe because Porsches design philosophy was to make the Turbo as a luxury vehicle and the GTS as a sporty performance vehicle?
The following 2 users liked this post by DBH:
mark8 (04-30-2024), quallzone (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 02:00 PM
mark8
Advanced

I guess they just got a little mixed up and de-tuned the GTS to take away the actual "sporty" HP and torque haha.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:14 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

I guess they just got a little mixed up and de-tuned the GTS to take away the actual "sporty" HP and torque haha.
I don't know, the 2022 GTS has 434hp and 405 torque. I believe it's the same as the 2021 Turbo. Just sayin'...
Old 04-30-2024, 03:42 PM
mark8
Advanced

Originally Posted by DBH
I don't know, the 2022 GTS has 434hp and 405 torque. I believe it's the same as the 2021 Turbo. Just sayin'...
Oh yeah, 2022+ they made their model line much more logical. The current GTS is the previous GTS and Turbo combined (as the pricetag reflects . Prior to that, it made the kind of sense that doesn't. It kind of seems like they started with base, S, Turbo and then the GTS and the T came later, but I haven't done my research there so I am really just guessing.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:43 PM
quallzone
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My understanding is that Porsche originally positioned the Macan Turbo as the flagship with top speed and luxury, while the Macan GTS was optimized for handling. The GTS ride height lowers the center of gravity, which along with other tweaks, helps it provide the most sportscar-like driving experience across the Macan lineup.

I don't know if the Turbo's minimum ride height can be overridden via software alone, but it is an interesting question! . . . If anyone is going to investigate this, I believe @Santirx will be the first to post a detailed description and/or Youtube video.

There is an interesting owner comparison of the GTS vs Turbo on another site: https://www.macanforum.com/threads/m...-turbo.105498/

Last edited by quallzone; 04-30-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo Ride Height