Notices
The Rennlist Marketplace Porsche Vehicles & Parts For Sale
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche sales Fraud! Buyers be aware!

For Sale

2018 Porsche GT3

04-08-2024, 03:19 AM | Replies: 44 | Views: 11220
  • 2018 Porsche GT3 - Porsche sales Fraud! Buyers be aware! - Used - Bowling Green, KY 42101, United States
  • 2018 Porsche GT3 - Porsche sales Fraud! Buyers be aware! - Used - Bowling Green, KY 42101, United States
Rennlist Member

• Price
    $175,000
  • Location Bowling Green, KY, 42101, USA
  • Condition Used
  • VIN WP0AC2A92JS174534
  • Mileage 8,688
  • Engine 6 cyl
  • Drive Type 2WD
  • Transmission Manual
  • Vehicle Type Coupe
  • Exterior Color Gray
Description:

There are lots of scams and fraud going on online right now. Buyers be aware!! 
I am not trying to sell anything at this moment, just want to share my recent experience of being scammed of $170K for a GT3 touring. Yes, the majority reason is my stupidity. 
So long story short. I found this GT3 touring for sale on SF craigslist for $175K under a dealership called Art's Auto Mart in Kentucky. I contacted the seller to make a deal. They sent over a bill of sale and front and back copy of the title which later turned out to be FAKED!!. I was busy and could not go see the car which was my biggggggest mistake!! But the guy was able to send me a video, the VIN plate, and even the Window Sticker of the vehicle upon request. Convinced me that they were really having possession of the vehicle. Meanwhile, the "dealership" checked out to be legit, The shop is more than 20 years old and can be found on Google and everywhere. It was a "Great" deal and I was too eager, too excited, and too much wanted a GT3 touring, which made me completely blind. So I sent them the wire hoping to take advantage of this deal!! 
How I got scammed?? The wire instruction they sent to me was to an XYZ company DBA as Art's Auto Mart! I thought it was normal. But this is a straw company and it is a total scam!! Later I found out the title was FAKED, the car was never for sale in KY. It was just a total FRAUD. They made a fake website of Art's Auto, pretending they are Art's and when people took the hook, they sent out XYZ company to receive the money!! FRAUD! FRAUD! FRAUD!
Not trying to be a Clown here, but I hope more people can learn from my mistake. 

Popular Reply

04-09-2024, 11:23 AM
haripin
Instructor

There's ways to track the scammers. PM me.

I won't disclose the methods to track them here so that any scammers reading this won't know how to thwart detection next time.

Sorry this happened to you. Let's see if we can track these guys down and get your money back.
Old 04-08-2024 | 04:14 AM
socalcarguy
Rennlist Member

Damn - sorry to hear that. Did you file a police report? If they have a DBA someone has to be the register. The carfax description looks completely wrong and multiple times they state it is an automatic.
The following 2 users liked this post by socalcarguy:
14turbo S (04-13-2024), justint5387 (09-10-2024)
Old 04-08-2024 | 06:56 AM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing this. I can imagine it is hard to post this but I give you huge kudos for doing so. If I was in your shoes, I would have fallen for this too. A dealership that checks out, a wire to a name with a DBA and all the documentation would have been enough for me to send the wire. So sorry for this painful lesson.
Old 04-08-2024 | 08:08 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

My son in law had a similar (bad) experience. I think asking for a FaceTime to review the car is a good step with a remote buy that is trying to be done quickly.

Kudos for reporting it to the community. Scams like this are only going to get worse.
The following users liked this post:
dave morris (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024 | 10:09 AM
NM912E
Rennlist Member

Default Long distant inspection

We bought a car in Chicago about 5 years ago and while there was no chance of getting scammed ( It was a Porsche Dealership)I was still concerned about the car being in the condition they described. I posted on Rennlist to see if someone would go look at it for me. They did and the car was as described.
Just telling the story so maybe someone looking long distant can have a Rennlister or a professional auto inspector look at it , when I sold a 964 the buyer sent a national inspection company to look it over. Cheap insurance.
I'll be selling 2 or three of my cars in the next month and will strongly recommend (insist) the buyers have someone look it over for them if they can't make it out to look at them since I live off the beaten path.

Rick
The following 4 users liked this post by NM912E:
AxelR (10-06-2024), KINGHURL (04-08-2024), Robocop305 (04-08-2024), roll_the_dice (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024 | 10:37 AM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Very sorry to hear that this happened to you. Thank you for sharing with everyone.
The following 2 users liked this post by tonie90:
dave morris (04-08-2024), monk46 (04-09-2024)
Old 04-08-2024 | 10:58 AM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing. I cannot imagine how happy you felt buying it and how disgusted you are now. Sorry this happened to anyone. I am in the market for a used Panamera and that is my biggest fear. I just backed out of a deal because I couldn't get together with the seller over a PPI. A PPI is a must whether the P car is $30k or $200+k.

Originally Posted by NM912E
... since I live off the beaten path.
Rick
I've been to Farmington, NM...Years and years and years ago for a work assignment. Flew into that HUGE airport...Four Corners!
The following 3 users liked this post by roll_the_dice:
flat6fan18 (04-08-2024), George from MD (04-08-2024), NM912E (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024 | 12:57 PM
Daytona4RS
Rennlist Member

The scammers are definitely getting more sophisticated. There was a 992 3RS listed in FB groups for a tad over MSRP. I decided to play along for a bit. Seller had pics and video of the car. Even pics of the real title. Using the VIN I was able to
verify that it was indeed a real car that was for sale, but the dealer had it listed online with no price. Talked to the real dealer and found out it was about $100k over msrp. They recalled recently having a weird interaction with a guy asking for pics of the
title etc before wiring the full funds, which of course never happened. Having someone put hands on the car locally seems to be the only sure thing these days. Maybe risk a small deposit just to reserve a car.
sacman (04-12-2024)
Old 04-08-2024 | 01:49 PM
jp884
Pro

Man I am so sorry this happened. Honestly, I think quite a few of us would have fallen for this scam as you checked out the business on google and such. I've bought my last 4 Porsches sight unseen so this could have happened to me. I hope there is something you do to catch this dirtbag $170k is no chump change.
Old 04-08-2024 | 01:57 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

First I want to say incredibly sorry to hear of this. I would scour the earth to be made whole as I would not be able to take a hit like that.

Few things I noticed. Business is closed down but the website is still up and running. I'd start with the business owners and go from there. You only have 2 posts and you might not come back to this thread but there are a lot of C&C Motors type dealerships out there. This guy may have been in over his head and your money is just what he needed.

You state the shop is over 20 years old and they are all over Google. Should have read some reviews before you did business. Here are some ads from Carfax. I'd start by looking at Art. He's the suspect #1 in my book.

by Tim S. on 04/04/2024Verified Shopper
This is fake listing. I drove 3 hours one way to see this listing but that address is closed.but some one still reply emails. So Don't waste your time.

by Dan S. on 04/01/2024Verified Shopper
went to location to look at the unit at address provided several times. Building closed up, didn't see the vehicle there, sent another email just got unit is sold after I send the direct email. Unit is still advertised on their website as for sale.

by Jason D. on 03/25/2024Verified Shopper
This Dealership is dishonest and I would never buy a car from them.

Also, that bill of sale is a joke for an "Automobile Bill of Sale". That's not standard and doesn't even include taxes, which is illegal for businesses to sell that way. I do see bank wire information. That's a route I'd be going down yesterday. You're probably going to need an attorney as if that bill of sale didn't raise any red flags with you, then well..... hire an attorney.

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 04-08-2024 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2024 | 02:13 PM
sunghyun7
Intermediate

my god, thanks for sharing. definitely one of the nightmarish scenarios. wakes us up to remind us to be more vigilant as we get more complacent in the increasingly more digital marketplace.
Old 04-08-2024 | 02:25 PM
kpeng
Rennlist Member

That's pretty obviously a scam post...
925M (06-22-2024)
Old 04-08-2024 | 02:31 PM
Johnny6spdDriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
First I want to say incredibly sorry to hear of this. I would scour the earth to be made whole as I would not be able to take a hit like that.

Few things I noticed. Business is closed down but the website is still up and running. I'd start with the business owners and go from there. You only have 2 posts and you might not come back to this thread but there are a lot of C&C Motors type dealerships out there. This guy may have been in over his head and your money is just what he needed.

You state the shop is over 20 years old and they are all over Google. Should have read some reviews before you did business. Here are some ads from Carfax. I'd start by looking at Art. He's the suspect #1 in my book.

by Tim S. on 04/04/2024Verified Shopper
This is fake listing. I drove 3 hours one way to see this listing but that address is closed.but some one still reply emails. So Don't waste your time.

by Dan S. on 04/01/2024Verified Shopper
went to location to look at the unit at address provided several times. Building closed up, didn't see the vehicle there, sent another email just got unit is sold after I send the direct email. Unit is still advertised on their website as for sale.

by Jason D. on 03/25/2024Verified Shopper
This Dealership is dishonest and I would never buy a car from them.

Also, that bill of sale is a joke for an "Automobile Bill of Sale". That's not standard and doesn't even include taxes, which is illegal for businesses to sell that way. I do see bank wire information. That's a route I'd be going down yesterday. You're probably going to need an attorney as if that bill of sale didn't raise any red flags with you, then well..... hire an attorney.
My case happened on 03/21/24.......So that was before these comments. I should probably go leave a comment on google and tell people how someone is using Art's Auto Mart, just the name to scam people. The Art's is a legit business, the scammer faked a whole website selling different cars using their name and address.
Old 04-08-2024 | 02:35 PM
Johnny6spdDriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kpeng
That's pretty obviously a scam post...
It was hard to tell at that moment. I only posted the Craigslist add, But the car was also listed on the Carfax website for sale and the dealership was listed as a Carfax-certified advanced dealership.

Last edited by Johnny6spdDriver; 04-08-2024 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2024 | 02:40 PM
Johnny6spdDriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by socalcarguy
Damn - sorry to hear that. Did you file a police report? If they have a DBA someone has to be the register. The carfax description looks completely wrong and multiple times they state it is an automatic.
I later flew to Bowling Green KY to file the police report. They did look into the case and confirmed the title was forged. But the problem is just because the criminal used a KY address does not mean he is in KY. So they have to turn this thing to the FBI for cross-state crime. But the police told me, it may not be big enough for the FBI to look into it. They are normally dealing with multi-million crimes. Very Sad.
The fact that Carfax showed it is Automatic made me think I was the one stealing the deal, (I thought Carfax would have checked the dealership, and because of Auto, others did not buy it.)