Exhaust Opinions on a GT3 - Soul / JCR / Dundon

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 11:24 PM
Xec
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Exhaust Opinions on a GT3 - Soul / JCR / Dundon

Hey all,

I'm contemplating a few exhaust options for my 991.1 GT3 and would value some input from the community. I currently have a Soul center bypass. I am quite satisfied with this exhaust, but I've been chasing just a little bit more in terms of pitch/tone and volume. Headers are a no-go... do not want to mess with a potential CEL and/or tune. Biggest reservations have been I do not want to need hearing protection every single time I'm driving (track days/rallies are okay) and I want to be able to at least somewhat reasonably quiet down the exhaust when needed. I've been considering the following options below.
  1. Add a Soul valved side muffler bypass. This seems like the most cost effective solution being <$2K and integrating with my existing center. I really like how it elevates the pitch a bit, making the car sound more exotic.
  2. JCR Valved Titanium Exhaust. I really like its high pitched tone. I've read that drone (although subjective) is not as completely terrible as you'd expect out of a system like this. Pricey at ~$7200 USD shipped with tips.
  3. Dundon Mini Crack Pipe + Side Mufflers. This seems to be a common and popular system and competes with the JCR. Slightly less exotic in tone. Also the most expensive.
  4. Cargraphic Exhaust Valve Module. Getting a little extra volume from below 6K could be just what I need. Obviously won't deliver further on a more exotic tone.
Would anybody with experience in some/all of these be willing to share their opinion?
Old 08-09-2022, 01:26 AM
porscherain
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

I would love to hear more opinions as well.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:37 AM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Dundon street headers, stock center. Best of all worlds including value despite cost.

if going for a budget option, side deletes have a lot of benefits with limited diwnside.
The following users liked this post:
Aidan Vo (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 11:53 AM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Here's my car with the dundon crack pipe, stock headers and cats. Sounds really good.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:35 PM
DiscoWagon
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 95 Posts

Getting rid of the side mufflers should be the biggest priority (so much weight!). I run the JCR valved side muffler deletes + JCR superlight center bypass, this configuration is loud and probably at my limit for a street car. If I were to do it all over again, I would get their valved race pipe to quiet it down a bit while still having enough volume when needed.

Not a big fan of Soul products (I had their side deletes for a short time), their finish is not durable but you get what you pay for.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:46 PM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick11
Dundon street headers, stock center. Best of all worlds including value despite cost.

if going for a budget option, side deletes have a lot of benefits with limited diwnside.
Agreed. The street headers are worth the cost with respect to serious performance gains. And you can always add a lifetime muffler later on. Dundon street headers get you side deletes, increased performance, greater sound. Absolutely worth it.
bogey1 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 02:14 PM
Xec
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maverick11

Appreciate the input. Personally not interested in doing headers; I do not want to mess with a CEL or tune.

Originally Posted by MKIVdan
Here's my car with the dundon crack pipe, stock headers and cats. Sounds really good.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ddO8Ajccge4?feature=share
Sounds good! Are you running the stock sides?

Originally Posted by DiscoWagon
Getting rid of the side mufflers should be the biggest priority (so much weight!). I run the JCR valved side muffler deletes + JCR superlight center bypass, this configuration is loud and probably at my limit for a street car. If I were to do it all over again, I would get their valved race pipe to quiet it down a bit while still having enough volume when needed.

Not a big fan of Soul products (I had their side deletes for a short time), their finish is not durable but you get what you pay for.
Can you shed some light on any sound difference between your Soul and JCR setups?

I'm pretty happy with my Soul center. For an additional $2K I can get the Soul sides, so struggling a little bit to justify $7K for the cost of a JCR system.

Originally Posted by dsteding
Agreed. The street headers are worth the cost with respect to serious performance gains. And you can always add a lifetime muffler later on. Dundon street headers get you side deletes, increased performance, greater sound. Absolutely worth it.
If I step up to a .2 platform, I might consider headers. But generally speaking, I am not seeking additional power gains (just interested in sound) and don't wish to deal with CELs and tunes.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:05 PM
DiscoWagon
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Xec
Can you shed some light on any sound difference between your Soul and JCR setups?

I'm pretty happy with my Soul center. For an additional $2K I can get the Soul sides, so struggling a little bit to justify $7K for the cost of a JCR system.
No sound difference, but JCR is definitely lighter since it's made of Ti. I was most disappointed in the finish of the Soul sides, only after a few thousand miles they looked extremely worn and subjected to weathering, I'm in sunny SoCal and my car has never even been driven in the rain.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:24 PM
Xec
Instructor

Originally Posted by DiscoWagon
No sound difference, but JCR is definitely lighter since it's made of Ti. I was most disappointed in the finish of the Soul sides, only after a few thousand miles they looked extremely worn and subjected to weathering, I'm in sunny SoCal and my car has never even been driven in the rain.
Wow I'm surprised to hear you say there's no sound difference. If the volume and tone is really close, then personally Soul would suit my needs perfectly. The JCR is a beautiful system but most of it gets hidden away anyway.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:05 PM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Xec

If I step up to a .2 platform, I might consider headers. But generally speaking, I am not seeking additional power gains (just interested in sound) and don't wish to deal with CELs and tunes.
I get that, but to clarify I haven't had to deal with any CELs (headers are catted) or tunes with the Dundon headers. The power gains are legit.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:17 PM
MikeKuhnRacing
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Go with the Soul side pipes. We have the GMG center with soul sides and it sounds amazing. Really made a difference between 1-4k rpms. Much lower and deeper down low than with just the GMG center. Best sounding combo I have driven on the 991 GT3.(Soul center will sound very similar to GMG)
Rick GT3 (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 05:37 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Xec
Appreciate the input. Personally not interested in doing headers; I do not want to mess with a CEL or tune.

Sounds good! Are you running the stock sides?

Im running the full crack pipe from Dundon, no side mufflers but retain the stock headers and cats. It does drone at lower rpms but usually i can speed up a little or down shift into a lower gear and the drone is gone. IMO its worth the magical sound of the crack pipe
Old 08-09-2022, 06:19 PM
AnthonyGan
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MKIVdan
Im running the full crack pipe from Dundon, no side mufflers but retain the stock headers and cats. It does drone at lower rpms but usually i can speed up a little or down shift into a lower gear and the drone is gone. IMO its worth the magical sound of the crack pipe
YEAH! Same here running the crack pipe and it’s hecka loud! Suits the car well!
Old 08-09-2022, 08:33 PM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Xec
Hey all,

I'm contemplating a few exhaust options for my 991.1 GT3 and would value some input from the community. I currently have a Soul center bypass. I am quite satisfied with this exhaust, but I've been chasing just a little bit more in terms of pitch/tone and volume. Headers are a no-go... do not want to mess with a potential CEL and/or tune. Biggest reservations have been I do not want to need hearing protection every single time I'm driving (track days/rallies are okay) and I want to be able to at least somewhat reasonably quiet down the exhaust when needed. I've been considering the following options below.
  1. Add a Soul valved side muffler bypass. This seems like the most cost effective solution being <$2K and integrating with my existing center. I really like how it elevates the pitch a bit, making the car sound more exotic.
  2. JCR Valved Titanium Exhaust. I really like its high pitched tone. I've read that drone (although subjective) is not as completely terrible as you'd expect out of a system like this. Pricey at ~$7200 USD shipped with tips.
  3. Dundon Mini Crack Pipe + Side Mufflers. This seems to be a common and popular system and competes with the JCR. Slightly less exotic in tone. Also the most expensive.
  4. Cargraphic Exhaust Valve Module. Getting a little extra volume from below 6K could be just what I need. Obviously won't deliver further on a more exotic tone.
Would anybody with experience in some/all of these be willing to share their opinion?
I would add the Soul valved side muffler bypass pipes. I have the Soul non-valved competition modular exhaust. It sounds amazing and it’s quite loud. It had a very irritating drone between 2-3k rpm when I first installed it but this dissipated quite a bit after a few heat cycles and about 50 miles of driving. My car is mostly a track car so for me this set up is perfect. If you get the valved exhaust you can take the edge off.

Im very happy with the sound, quality, fitment, and price of Soul. Not to mention their excellent customer service. You should try this exhaust because it’s so cost effective since you already have their center muffler delete. If you don’t love it, you can sell it and get something else. My guess is you’ll love it!
Soul Performance (08-10-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 09:57 PM
arandazz
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 38 Posts

My current setup is factory headers with fabspeed valved side muffler bypass and fabspeed prototype center muffler. The muffler retains a similar internal chamber design compared to factory but utilizes an x pipe where the large bypass pipes join in the center. Amazing sound with absolutely NO drone. Trying headers next.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Opinions on a GT3 - Soul / JCR / Dundon