991.1 Sport Design Steering Wheel Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 03:00 PM
DGmon
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991.1 Sport Design Steering Wheel Retrofit

Hey guys,
I recently traded in my 2008 997.1 Carrera for a 2012.5 991.1 Carrera PDK without SC. The car came with regular non heated non MF wheel which I want to upgrade to a sport design wheel with paddle shifters.
Last week I picked up a SD wheel from a fellow rennlister but now realized it has the SC lights (sport, sport plus and launch control). Furthermore, it has a 997 part number.

Does anyone know if the wheel will work on my car without any warnings?

Thanks in advance!
Daniel

Old 02-15-2021, 03:29 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I DIY'd a 991.1 multi function wheel to 991.2 wheel. No issue with the 997 part number, same wheel. This will physically work with the same airbag and mounting hardware, and I'm fairly positive the paddles will work without dealer coding, but the big issue is that you'll have to upgrade to multi function stalks since you'll loose those buttons on the wheel.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:58 PM
DGmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jungkim1234
I DIY'd a 991.1 multi function wheel to 991.2 wheel. No issue with the 997 part number, same wheel. This will physically work with the same airbag and mounting hardware, and I'm fairly positive the paddles will work without dealer coding, but the big issue is that you'll have to upgrade to multi function stalks since you'll loose those buttons on the wheel.
My current wheel has no MF buttons so don’t need to upgrade the stalks.

Only concern is the wheel being from a SC car which I don’t have.

Last edited by DGmon; 02-15-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:02 PM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

yes it'll work fine as a straight 1:1 swap. the SC lights on the wheel just wont function obviously since your car doesnt have it, but it wont affect steering wheel compatibility. the paddles will work fine as long as they weren't disconnected inside the SD wheel. no coding to get the paddles working. If you had a MF standard wheel, then it would get tricky because you would need a new MF stalk, but since your car didnt have a MF wheel to begin with you should already have a MF stalk.

the only coding you'll need is IF you want the neutral function where you tap both paddles at the same time to put the car in neutral.

FYI, i have a 991.1 PDK w/SC that had a non-MF standard wheel and swapped in a 997 PDK w/no-SC SD wheel. My MF stalk that was already on the car retained all the same functions as before. i lost my SC lights on the wheel but the SC functions all still work (i just dont have the SC lights in my wheel anymore)

Last edited by edirtaynine; 02-15-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:06 PM
DGmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edirtaynine
yes it'll work fine as a straight 1:1 swap. the SC lights on the wheel just wont function obviously since your car doesnt have it, but it wont affect steering wheel compatibility. the paddles will work fine as long as they weren't disconnected inside the SD wheel. no coding to get the paddles working. If you had a MF standard wheel, then it would get tricky because you would need a new MF stalk, but since your car didnt have a MF wheel to begin with you should already have a MF stalk.

the only coding you'll need is IF you want the neutral function where you tap both paddles at the same time to put the car in neutral.

FYI, i have a 991.1 PDK that had a non-MF standard wheel and swapped in a 997 PDK SD wheel. My MF stalk that was already on the car retained all the same functions as before.
Great!
I don’t care about the SC indicators and if it shows when in sport, and don’t see a reason for the neutral option.
Will do the swap later this week!
Old 02-15-2021, 04:11 PM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DGmon
Great!
I don’t care about the SC indicators and if it shows when in sport, and don’t see a reason for the neutral option.
Will do the swap later this week!
i edited my prev comment with a bit more info for point of reference.

the swap is super easy. good luck and feel free to DM me if you have any questions or need help with the swap. took me 30min the first time to do the swap and now i can do it in 15min or less. Don't forget to disconnect the battery before starting tho!
Old 02-15-2021, 04:55 PM
DGmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edirtaynine
i edited my prev comment with a bit more info for point of reference.

the swap is super easy. good luck and feel free to DM me if you have any questions or need help with the swap. took me 30min the first time to do the swap and now i can do it in 15min or less. Don't forget to disconnect the battery before starting tho!
Thanks! Will report back once installed.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:25 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Installed two of these. It will work fine except for double paddle pull for neutral function. If new wheel is from a 2009 997.2, might not have steering wheel spoke lights.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:27 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Several very good DIY videos on YouTube.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:41 PM
DGmon
Intermediate

Steering wheel installed and as expected shifters work perfectly but SC lights don’t.

Thank you all for the help!
The following users liked this post:
edirtaynine (02-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 01:06 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DGmon
Steering wheel installed and as expected shifters work perfectly but SC lights don’t.

Thank you all for the help!
You can code the SC lights to show up in the wheel, with a PIWIS. I did this last night when swapping an SD wheel to a non SD MF wheel, based on this super helpful thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...l#post17264919

In the kombiinstrument module you need to flip: "Kodierwert: Codierbyte 3 Anzeige Sportmodus" from "ja" to "nein", in PIWIS development mode, this will turn off the lights in the cluster, but to turn on the lights in the wheel i believe your shop just has has to follow these directions in reverse

https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installa...n-coding-guide

In other words, remove your standard wheel from the config, add the sport wheel, and then do 'automatic coding'. I don't believe sportdesign requires an activation code as my car was equipped from factory and I had all the original codes pulled, and I don't see a code for SD wheel. I'm also not sure if the clockspring needs to be changed, but this is easy enough to try.

-n.

Last edited by osunick; 09-19-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 12:27 PM
DieNuen11
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I've discarded several potentially good vehicles in my search for a 991.1 because it had the standard steering wheel. So it looks like the sport design wheel can be added to any 991.1 with some, or no loss of functionality. Good to know in case I find a car that ticks all the right boxes but comes with the standard wheel.

GM
Old 10-18-2022, 01:00 PM
potxoli
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I too wanted a 991.1 with sport steering wheel, but I'm in the process of finalizing a purchase on a 991.1 with multi function (MF), Heated standard wheel. Other aspects of the car are hard to pass up. So in my case you don't get the stalk, so you have to buy the wheel and stalk. And then the dealer has to code it to enable the stalk. Bit of PITA. Or you can get a 991.2 wheel with MF which is easier to install with no dealer. I don't really want to do that because the 991.2 wheel color would deviate from my interior color. So I'm likely going with the Techart Paddles on my non-sport wheel. Cheaper and DIY and I get to keep my steering color.
Old 10-19-2022, 10:05 PM
CraigT!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I am going to move into a SD wheel for my 991.1. I currently have a multi-function OEM wheel and understand that I will be losing the multi function aspect of it. When ordering the new SD wheel I see that I can select if I currently have a multi function wheel (which I do) which I understand would then give me the ability of having the multi functionality moved to a new stalk on the wheel column, is this correct??? Is it a brand new stalk that gets installed on the column, or does it use an existing stalk to control the functionality??

Thanks
Old 05-10-2023, 10:01 AM
DieNuen11
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigT!
I am going to move into a SD wheel for my 991.1. I currently have a multi-function OEM wheel and understand that I will be losing the multi function aspect of it. When ordering the new SD wheel I see that I can select if I currently have a multi function wheel (which I do) which I understand would then give me the ability of having the multi functionality moved to a new stalk on the wheel column, is this correct??? Is it a brand new stalk that gets installed on the column, or does it use an existing stalk to control the functionality??

Thanks
Would like to know this as well !

Quick Reply: 991.1 Sport Design Steering Wheel Retrofit