Sponsored by: APR

DSC Sport Controller - GT4 Settings

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 10:09 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts
Default DSC Sport Controller - GT4 Settings

Wanted to start a settings thread for this great mod, to share any settings, changes, and why they were made. Not sure there will be enough interest for this thread to be a sticky, but at least it can serve as a reference for those who may want to tweak stock DSC settings a bit, or just make the change from the stock PASM controller.

DSC Settings tutorial (Updated 5/20/21):

I bought my GT4 CPO last summer and just wasn't happy with the stock setup. I felt like the car got too unsettled, and was too bouncy at higher speeds, over undulating pavement, and/or sharp rises in the road. Even the shallowest of potholes, with sharpish edges, were extremely abrasive...sounded and felt like I was hitting my bump stops over mildly rough roads, and at slow speeds. My main focus for the DSC setup was to get the car to stay more level over "bumps/inclines/transitions" in the road, and ease the "gotchas", in the Balt/DC corridor. With the stock PASM controller, the car felt like it wanted to lift at sudden inclines in the road. DSC tamed that tendency a lot, but characteristic was still there. Car also bounced at a high frequency with the stock DSC mappings. Changing the G Comfort Sensitivity helped a bunch. Had I not come across the controller, suspension would have been swapped, or car sold in first week. The controller actually has enough effect to make the suspension be described as "too soft".

I left the stock G-Table and Speed table settings to the experts, only tweaking the basic settings. Also didn't want to post those in case proprietary...not to step on any toes. Car may see the track, but mainly designed as a daily driver, with spirited back road driving in the "Sport" mode. Although aside for the worst of potholes, I can daily Sport mode...often switch to it for commute after car warms up a bit. By no means are my settings the end all/be all, and are subject to additional meddling, but are good enough "for me" to transform the GT4 into a daily driver. Depending on tire pressure change, and change to Michelin PS4S in spring, I may set Shock Calibration a bit stiffer. 0% is slower speeds/G-force from what I understand, and the higher mA value provides more damping/softer feel....every 100mA change is noticeable (to me).

If you care to to share "settings", please try to keep the format/layout the same. I tried to mimic the software layout to make it easy to follow. If it needs to change, post up.

My current setup:

- Ride Height "Zeroed" in DSC settings
- Bridgestone RE980AS (winters) 32lbs F/35lbs R cold (will bump up a pound or two front and rear shortly, but I found that 1-2lbs makes a noticeable difference in comfort)...Rte 66 out of DC is a mess
- Stock ride height (per different dealership than where I bought car)
- Stock wheels
- 18-way seats
- 6ft. 90deg mini USB cable permanently attached to controller (makes it easier than trying to attach cable each time to change settings with laptop), with cap for USB cable end (keep moisture off connector)
- Car acquired with 30k miles...now at 36k
- Car at max negative camber with stock bits
- I increased the Velocity a bit higher than stock DSC settings in an attempt to get the dampers to work a little faster, rather than let the chassis "follow the bump"...seems to have worked. Originally I had Velocity Rebound at (0%), so the car would "drop" into dips in the road, rather than have wheels get pressed into the dip. This was an attempt again just to keep the car as "down and close to the road as possible". Reverted to just trying to get dampers to work a little more, and just keep car level as possible.

>>>>>> Final settings, as of 10/1/21 <<<<<<

Now only using modded: DSC "718GT4_GRS_LNC_by TC_09-02-2020" file.

"Changes only" from above file:

* Sport * (daily driving in this mode)

G-Comfort Parameters:
Default Rate: 10.0

Shock Calibration:
L/R Front: 1300 - 200
L/R Rear: 1400 - 500

Velocity:
Front L/R Cmp-High, Cmp-Med, Cmp-Low: 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
L/R Reb-Low, Reb-Med, Reb-High: 0.0, -1.0, -2.0

Rear L/R Cmp-High, Cmp-Med, Cmp-Low: -2.0, -2.0, -2.0
Rear L/R Reb-Low, Reb-Med, Reb-High: 0.0, 1.0, 2.0

==============================================================

* Normal * (Have not updated as of August 2021, but will probably change to match the above Velocity values, if I decide to ever use this mode)

Velocity:
Rear L/R Cmp-High, Cmp-Med, Cmp-Low: 6.0, 3.0, 0.0
Rear L/R Reb-Low, Reb-Med, Reb-High: 0.0, 3.0, 6.0

***UPDATE 1/7/2022***

- Adding explanation of some settings, and how some value changes affect the dampers...taken from recent post from DSC, and their new 991 "RS" calibration file (settings "values" may not translate well to GT4):

Example of effect of a change on overall damping curve:

Last edited by colnagoG60; 01-27-2022 at 11:05 AM. Reason: 1/27/22 - added example "damping dyno" chart
The following 6 users liked this post by colnagoG60:
911-140.6 (04-18-2020), burnergt4 (01-22-2020), FASTRKMAN (02-26-2021), FogCitySF (01-16-2023), paradocs98 (01-22-2020), Z3papa (09-26-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-22-2020, 11:43 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Just installed my DSC Sport controller 2 days ago and am still evaluating the differences. Will stay tuned here since I too am more interested in street performance. You should probably state whether your car has SC or not (for the dynamic engine mounts
aspect).

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 01-22-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:50 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Just installed my DSC Sport controller 2 days ago and am still evaluating the differences. Will stay tuned here since I too am more interested in street performance. You should probably state whether your car has SC or not (for the dynamic suspension mounts aspect).
FYI All GT4's have dynamic engine mounts... SC is just a clock and track app in the GT4.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:56 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Just installed my DSC Sport controller 2 days ago and am still evaluating the differences. Will stay tuned here since I too am more interested in street performance. You should probably state whether your car has SC or not (for the dynamic suspension mounts aspect).
"SC"?
Old 01-22-2020, 12:06 PM
Gilou Panizzi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great interest in this topic. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the DSC controller (because I'm waiting to know if I move to the future GT4 RS.. ), but I might consider it. My car is also a 100% road toy and some sections can be very tricky to ride. Moreover I can't use the sport mode which is way too hard for those rally stages.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:09 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 269 Posts

Subscribed.

Great idea of idea of a thread. I also acquired a DSC Sport Controller for my GT4 just before Christmas.
I was initially impressed with the first drive - but then start to find some issues with the behaviour and its effect on the cars character on road.
On track you just want to go fast and you can easily feel how the damping strategy will be to an advantage on track.
I've tweaked my 'Normal' mode to take some of 'Sport' characteristics via G-Comfort settings and also adopted the Driveline from 'Sport' into 'Normal' - as I want that behaviour all of the time.
I really want something that will let the car basically behave more like it did with the standard PASM controller (so less active) - but then progressively kick into G-Table for ONLY the high load events - Lateral G and Braking. So this means reducing the G-table area, or changing the values ramp I think.. but there are limits to this as far as i understand? The ride compliance is a nice by-product for me.
Am very keen to try some other set ups - as I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep it - or just go back to OEM PASM, or PASM with Stiffer Springs or go all the way to MR KW Clubsport 3-way.
I really want to keep it as the potential is so high and once mastered - will be easier to make changes track by track - with the ability to have 2 calibrations available immediately, and then my full library available to install in 2mins from my laptop right in the Pit-Garage with getting my hands dirty under the car feeling for bump and rebound dials. For the c£/$1000 or so its worth playing, as it could be gold.

Will collate and also post my current config.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:09 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
"SC"?
Sports Chrono
The following users liked this post:
prsdoc (06-23-2023)
Old 01-22-2020, 12:15 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TDT
Sports Chrono
Ah...sorry brain fart...in the middle of trying to get Exchange running again.

Yes, I have "SC".
Old 01-22-2020, 12:20 PM
Gilou Panizzi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah...sorry brain fart...in the middle of trying to get Exchange running again.

Yes, I have "SC".
Did you install the TPC rear links and made the alignment values they should provide at same time?
Old 01-22-2020, 12:21 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TDT
Subscribed.

Great idea of idea of a thread. I also acquired a DSC Sport Controller for my GT4 just before Christmas.
I was initially impressed with the first drive - but then start to find some issues with the behaviour and its effect on the cars character on road.
On track you just want to go fast and you can easily feel how the damping strategy will be to an advantage on track.
I've tweaked my 'Normal' mode to take some of 'Sport' characteristics via G-Comfort settings and also adopted the Driveline from 'Sport' into 'Normal' - as I want that behaviour all of the time.
I really want something that will let the car basically behaviour more like it did with the standard PASM controller (so less active) - but then progressively kick into G-Table for ONLY the high load events - Lateral G and Braking.
The ride compliance is a nice by-product for me.
Am very keen to try some other set ups - as I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep it - or just go back to OEM PASM, or PASM with Stiffer Springs or go all the way to MR KW Clubsport 3-way.
I really want to keep it as the potential is so high and once mastered - will be easier to make changes track by track - with the ability to have 2 calibrations available immediately, and then my full library available to install in 2mins from my laptop right in the Pit-Garage with getting my hands dirty under the car feeling for bump and rebound dials. For the c£/$1000 or so its worth playing, as it could be gold.

Will collate and also post my current config.
FWIW, I kept all the versions of my changes...just renamed the file after ever change, e.g. "....v1, ....v2, ...v3, etc". Brief description of what was changed or what effect I was going for in the file name helped as well in case I want to go back.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:23 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

FWIW, I kept all the versions of my changes...just renamed the file after ever change, e.g. "....v1, ....v2, ...v3, etc". Brief description of what was changed or what effect I was going for in the file name helped as well in case I want to go back.
Yep - I have the same folder on my device, and change log. Same 6ft right-angle Mini-USB cable permanently attached and coiled up in the rear trunk.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:28 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gilou Panizzi
Did you install the TPC rear links and made the alignment values they should provide at same time?

No, wasn't sure if I was keeping the car (again, not happy at all with stock suspension...would rather take my Jetta around last turn at Sebring, one handed, flat out, than GT4 at 5/10ths), so I didn't go all out with suspension changes. Cost would have started to escalate quickly. For street use/abusing ramps, not sure hardware required...yet. Rather hold out for re-gear and or 4.5L.

Please be aware that some of the DSC maps are only if you have the toe-links installed.

My settings/maps are for stock setup...but would like to keep thread mainly focused on damping/compliance vs. focusing on detailed geometry settings/affects/etc. But feel free to post if you think it helps.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:22 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 224 Posts

Subscribed, as well. I just got my DSC module last week and am installing it in the next few days, so looking forward to digging into the settings and trying out different configs.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:11 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Let me forward this to DSC to gain some input!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Old 01-23-2020, 08:28 AM
Andy Appleby
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you write "6ft. 90deg mini USB cable" could you share more details please. Thanks

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Controller - GT4 Settings