Sponsored by:

Flat 6 for others in the 718 lineup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 10:50 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Flat 6 for others in the 718 lineup?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-flat-six-pdk/
Old 07-24-2019, 01:39 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 366 Posts

The 4s in the 718s are not selling too well.. I know when I was shopping for my Cayman I wanted the 981 generation for this reason..
Old 07-24-2019, 01:43 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

C8 = nuke dropped on the 718 factory.

Expect a move back to the F6 forthwith. Either that, or they'll kill all but the GT models completely.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:06 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 320 Posts

It's a balancing act, where does Porsche have the highest level of sales and projected sales?
China, Europe, then you'd better have turbo's to meet the fleet requirements. US and you should note the need for performance and offer tighter gearing and acceleration.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:12 AM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect

Expect a move back to the F6 forthwith. Either that, or they'll kill all but the GT models completely.
Right? There will be a core of die-hard Porsche fans..but...C8...oh boy. I can't wait to test drive one.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:28 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,590 Likes on 613 Posts

The Corvette is completely irrelevant to Porsche in every market except the US. Which is a large market but still only a slice of the pie, and only a slice of that slice is under threat as the C8 is a totally different machine and a not very subtle one at that. As such I seriously doubt Porsche give it much thought at all, their markets don't overlap much with Chevy's. If they end up putting the flat 6 in slightly more ordinary 718s it was probably planned from the beginning of the development of the NA 9A2 as part of justifying the cost. But they don't have a huge amount of room between the GTS and GT4 to slot it into.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 07:00 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCviggen
The Corvette is completely irrelevant to Porsche in every market except the US. Which is a large market but still only a slice of the pie, and only a slice of that slice is under threat as the C8 is a totally different machine and a not very subtle one at that. As such I seriously doubt Porsche give it much thought at all, their markets don't overlap much with Chevy's.
That may be whistling past the graveyard. This is the first Corvette generation to be produced in RHD, so it will be accessible to the EU market.

And if Buick can sell lots of cars in China under the notion that big American cars are some kind of status symbol, then so can Chevrolet.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:13 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

That may be whistling past the graveyard. This is the first Corvette generation to be produced in RHD, so it will be accessible to the EU market.
The EU market which almost entirely LHD except for the UK and the odd small island?

Just because they now put the engine in the middle doesn't change brand perceptions or change the basic reasons why people buy each respective brand. We can revisit this a year or so down the line.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:13 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Just because they now put the engine in the middle doesn't change brand perceptions
I'll bet it was a relief when that cable guy finally showed up and fixed your Internet service, after, what, a 6-day outage?

Because there's no way you've been online since the reveal, if you think they haven't changed the brand perception pretty radically.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanSinAR (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 08:34 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Because there's no way you've been online since the reveal, if you think they haven't changed the brand perception pretty radically.
I'm not sure what or where anything could have been posted about a car that nobody has driven yet that could be accepted as evidence to that. Certainly on my side of the ocean, the part where seeing a Corvette is a once a month kind of thing, the part of the world which I'm talking about, I can't say that any new dawn has been spotted.

The Corvette has always been a bargain for the performance and fun that it offered and yet it does. not. sell. in significant numbers outside of the US. It's probably not the car's fault that people don't "get" it or that it is (unfairly?) seen as a car that is only bought by people whose main occupation involves bar tendering in a place frequented by the HOG. I'm not saying any of that makes sense or is just, but that's how a Corvette looks in large parts of Europe - racetracks excluded but even there they're a damn rare sight. Making it mid engine changes diddly squat. The design is clearly for still for American eyes first and foremost.

It's just a completely different car to what Porsche sells as well. It's a lot larger and heavier than a 718 or nearly anything else : https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ze-comparison/

I can see that some Americans who've been mid engine Porsche guys until now could be jumping ship. Good for you. It won't impact Porsche's numbers much, especially as we're talking about it "competing" with the worst selling model Porsche sells to begin with.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCviggen:
CaymanCarver (07-24-2019), Hyper911 (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 08:47 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

Ya'll keep talking about the C8.... a picture is worth a thousand words.
The following 3 users liked this post by garfunkle:
CaymanCarver (07-24-2019), DFW01TT (07-25-2019), manifold danger (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 11:04 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Not sure if you're joking or not^, but most cars show various warning lights when the ignition is on with engine off, and the vette is historically very reliable. I'd be in the market for a C8 if it wouldn't be $30k more than my 981S. For that money I'd probably enjoy adding a 987 or something to the mix instead of swapping to the C8. It will no doubt be a rocket ship on track.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:24 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4John
Right? There will be a core of die-hard Porsche fans..but...C8...oh boy. I can't wait to test drive one.
I'm with you - I've decided I'll probably never-ever sell my Spyder, but the new C8, IF they solved the steering feel/visibility/get-you-more-connected to the road problem I think every other Vette I've driven has... will be really hard not to view it as an ideal track monster...

I drove a C7 Z51 for 3 laps at COTA. Handling was so-so, power was great, still felt I was sitting too far back. C8 seems to have solved that...
Old 07-24-2019, 11:28 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Not sure if you're joking or not^, but most cars show various warning lights when the ignition is on with engine off, and the vette is historically very reliable. I'd be in the market for a C8 if it wouldn't be $30k more than my 981S. For that money I'd probably enjoy adding a 987 or something to the mix instead of swapping to the C8. It will no doubt be a rocket ship on track.
It's hilarious.

But he's onto something. The corvette will strike fear in everyone's hearts if it just delivers on what it promises. That includes reliability standards.

Just look at Alfa. Many thought the Giulia Q4 was going to be what finally dethroned the M3 in the performance sedan market, but those things seem to be difficult to keep on the road.

It's still a "wait and see", but the reveal definitely seems promising.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:32 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

That's absurd.

However I see you're finally getting around to comparing the C8 to the GTS and GT4. Can't wait to get some head to head results on the track!

People have been saying it "sounds like a Subaru" since day one. THAT was what made any diff at all.
It is faster than the 981, so look for 'em as a fantastic track car.

Take your BS to the Corvette forum.

The Corvette is completely irrelevant to Porsche... If they end up putting the flat 6 in slightly more ordinary 718s it was probably planned from the beginning of the development of the NA 9A2 as part of justifying the cost. But they don't have a huge amount of room between the GTS and GT4 to slot it into.
+1

Irrelevant to Porsche, Ferarri, Lamborghini... etc.. Yeah, we're supposed to believe all these other car companies are shakin' in their boots over another GM product. Laughable!!
If I have to hear one more cherry picked nonsensical comparator about the C8!!!

I'm not sure what or where anything could have been posted about a car that nobody has driven yet that could be accepted as evidence to that.
It's just a completely different car to what Porsche sells as well. ..especially as we're talking about it "competing" with the worst selling model Porsche sells to begin with.
+1 The C8 hasn't killed a Toyota Camry yet, let alone a Porsche or a Ferarri.

Quick Reply: Flat 6 for others in the 718 lineup?