Sponsored by:

992 Cab S: to pasm, or not to pasm

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 05:57 PM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 992 Cab S: to pasm, or not to pasm

i've a 992 cab ordered and wonder if i've done the right thing in the config. the context: i'm a race car driver, have had many cars inclulding 3 911's, and 4 ferrari's, and am generally a car guy. you would think this is a no-brainer, right?

but this car is not for track, and not in an environment where handling is as important as comfort. think of it as a gt car but to satisfy a 911 desire.

consequently, i've wondered: am i being smart by configuring with PASM? (you might ask the same q about other options such as RWS? etc).

the resale issue is a question also...in a cab, is this an important option for the market?

(in other respects this is configured as a GTS would be, mostly)

what do you guys think?
Old 07-22-2019, 09:24 AM
not4one
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

I think you're thinking too much about what everyone else thinks.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:29 AM
992newbie
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I've PASM'd

Hello everyone - newbie here.
I've just ordered my first Porsche - current configurator spec http://www.porsche-code.com/PLNWSDR6
I've included PASM on mine.
Any thoughts / feedback on the spec? Can you think of anything major I've missed off?
thanks
Adam
Old 07-22-2019, 09:48 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by not4one
I think you're thinking too much about what everyone else thinks.
Huh? Just seeking opinions
Old 07-22-2019, 10:45 AM
B3rk
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I got it on my cab and I love the stance. Seen quite a few without and personally I do not like it, especially in the front!

No clearance problems, a bit of caution is needed.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:46 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 992newbie
Hello everyone - newbie here.
I've just ordered my first Porsche - current configurator spec http://www.porsche-code.com/PLNWSDR6
I've included PASM on mine.
Any thoughts / feedback on the spec? Can you think of anything major I've missed off?
thanks
Adam
I checked SPASM on my 2S after much deliberation and only testing standard suspension.

My logic was that this is my sports car not the family car; and this generation of SPASM can go both softer and harder than previous generation. All the journo review cars were equipped with SPASM and many comment that the ride is very well managed albeit a sports ride. That sounds about right for me.

i’ll know for sure end Sept when my car arrives.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:52 AM
fstgtbtl
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I ordered it for the stance. From the photos online it looks more aggressive but I could be completely wrong :-)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:59 AM
fstgtbtl
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default stance

Delete

Last edited by fstgtbtl; 07-22-2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 07-22-2019, 11:16 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by JHesketh
I checked SPASM on my 2S after much deliberation and only testing standard suspension.

My logic was that this is my sports car not the family car; and this generation of SPASM can go both softer and harder than previous generation. All the journo review cars were equipped with SPASM and many comment that the ride is very well managed albeit a sports ride. That sounds about right for me.

i’ll know for sure end Sept when my car arrives.
very interesting. are you saying that pasm has a soft & hard mode? if yes, is soft mode as soft as the non-pasm config?
thanks
Old 07-22-2019, 11:17 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by fstgtbtl
Delete
delete? can you say why?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:36 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Personally I never like the PASM. My car came with it and I rarely use it. For normal street driving I never ever turn it on because it just doesn't feel right. While I don't mind the stiffness for some spirited driving, but I prefer my car having a bit of suspension compliance for better handling. People regard stiff suspension as the holy grail to good handling is just not true. The PASM to me just does not feel right. While it stiffens the suspension up, but then it also causes the car to bunny hop all over the road.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:44 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Personally I never like the PASM. My car came with it and I rarely use it. For normal street driving I never ever turn it on because it just doesn't feel right. While I don't mind the stiffness for some spirited driving, but I prefer my car having a bit of suspension compliance for better handling. People regard stiff suspension as the holy grail to good handling is just not true. The PASM to me just does not feel right. While it stiffens the suspension up, but then it also causes the car to bunny hop all over the road.
very interesting. i had no idea that one could turn it on or off. but the ride height reduction is permanent. so what exactly is being turned on and off?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:03 PM
not4one
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tcirillo
Huh? Just seeking opinions
Ok, maybe a bit flip, but you do race and have lots of P and F cars. Your opinion seems pretty informed!
Old 07-22-2019, 12:16 PM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by tcirillo
very interesting. are you saying that pasm has a soft & hard mode? if yes, is soft mode as soft as the non-pasm config?
thanks
Hey, a 911 is a lot of money and it’s worth taking the time to get the decision right. My sense is that you should spend some more time with your dealer and test driving the car. Maybe even hire one for a week.

PASM is a variable damping system. The new generation of PASM is continuously variable.

PASM has a ‘normal’ and ‘sports’ mode that is switchable in the PCM system. The former delivers a more compliant ride for daily driving; the latter stiffens everything up.

SPASM drops the ride height by 10mm. This means that there is less travel in the suspension from standing to fully compressed. You will feel more bumps because there is simply less height to absorb them with but also there will be less roll in the corners.

If you are going to use the car everyday and make long trips in it, then SPASM will probably be too stiff (ride will feel ‘busy’ and fatiguing). Make no mistake, the standard set-up is still focussed especially in the ‘sport’ PASM setting.

If you are like me (ie rebelling against an SUV, missing my 1990 UrQuattro and 997, and living in a mountainous region with killer Swiss surfaced twisty hill climbs) and intending to drive the car to get a pure driving fix, then arguably even the standard set-up in sport setting will be enough but you might enjoy SPASM.

I couldn’t get a test drive in a SPASM equipped 992. What persuaded me to go SPASM was a fortnight rorting around Cornwall and the Home Counties in a new 991.2 CS with the standard suspension set to sport. I loved it. And my understanding is that this generation of SPASM in its ‘normal’ setting is more compliant than the previous generation PASM in it’s sport setting.

As i say, i’ll know better in September.

if you are in doubt, spend more time in the car. If you’re still not sure get the standard set up. The car is a blast.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Osv
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

PASM is always standard. You can't buy a 992 (or 991.2 for that matter) without it. You can't turn it off either, as stated above the chassis systems (PASM, PDCC, RWS) have two modes (Normal and Sport) switchable via the damper button or the PCM.

In the 992 I honestly don't see a reason not to go with Sport PASM. It's compliant, not fatiguing on long rides, looks better and handles superb. Combined with RWS it makes the car feel much more nimble, stuck to the road and eager to turn.

But: if you have any chance, drive them back to and decide for yourself.

Quick Reply: 992 Cab S: to pasm, or not to pasm