996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996TT to C2?

Old 07-21-2019, 04:24 PM
krs1skier
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 996TT to C2?

I've had my 996TT for about 18 months and 4k miles. It's an amazing machine, but I keep thinking an early 996 C2 that I could modify (suspension, seats, exhaust) might be more fun (RWD, lighter weight). I was really hot for a 996 GT3, but the values are so great that I wouldn't feel comfortable "using it" as a daily and occasional auto-x/DE(1-2/yr) car. I know some people go the opposite direction, C2/4 to TT, but I really don't need a lot of power and enjoy having something I can push a little harder on the streets.

My 996TT was stock when I got it with 47k miles. I did the 997 shifter console, numeric racing cables, RSS motor mounts, 997 trans mount. It is far better shifting now! Next step for the car would be replacing the stock suspension with either Bilstein or Ohlins coilovers and making it a bit more dialed to my liking.

I know I'll never get my money out of the TT after doing a trans rebuild and clutch job.

Am I nuts for considering a C2 or should I just continue down the path to make the TT more to my liking?
Old 07-21-2019, 04:31 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

I think you should keep your TT. Much better car than the C2.

My personal belief is the non-TT 996s are a huge gamble. Too many things can go wrong with them. They can turn into headaches really quickly and out of no where.

You've got a really good car. I would keep it.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:58 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 224 Likes on 160 Posts

I see what he is saying. TT is great but there's more freedom in a 996, and he wants to be more involved.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:59 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,576 Likes on 983 Posts

I’ve never driven a 996tt, so it’s hard to say. On paper, I’d prefer the turbo. I would drive a C2 and see what you think.

I went from a big powerful car to a light and low powered car and was just fine. Driving a slow car fast can be more fun than driving a fast car slow.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mike Murphy:
GH996 (07-21-2019), mjb2448 (07-23-2019), por944trs (07-21-2019), Rdrcr (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 06:15 PM
Ogr8frogy
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Well I started with a 99 c2 and I put 80k miles on it in five years. Now I upgraded to the turbo this year, So I understand what you are talking about.
the c2 is a wonderful car if you find one with all the bugs worked out, but they still have things that can break or go bad for no reason and same with the turbo also.
I like the n/a motor as winding through the gears is fun and it really makes you get it right to reward you with what it can do, as the turbo you just point and shoot and hang on.
the turbo is just plain fun, plenty of power anytime you need or want it.
They drive differently in the sense the c2 is lighter in the steering and overall weight too and it is very noticeable.
its going to boil down what you want. C2 lite and nimble feeling or more power.
since you already have the turbo car I’d say keep it, it will hold it’s value better over the long run. If you want find a c2 and drive it and see if you can live with less power. It is fun but once I got the turbo I won’t switch back, in the sense selling it to go back n/a 996.
both are fun cars but they are night and day different.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:30 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

I would keep the 6TT and pick up a 996 Carrera on the cheap to mod the hell out of.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:45 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Agree with the “slow car fast > fast car slow” thinking. You could get a really nice 997.2 for 996TT money.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:50 AM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

You already dropped the dough on it. You might as well try to have fun with it. 996tt is basically a super car and the values are still good. This seems like a case of the grass is always greener. Just drive it and get your moneys worth. I think if you test drove a c2 you would appreciate the 996tt even more
Old 07-22-2019, 01:44 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I have had several 996 turbos, GT3 and Carreras, tracked them all. You are spot on, without going all out with track mods, the Carrera is by far the most fun to drive hard, and for the reasons you've listed. I know they have a "fragile" reputation, my experience has not matched that. A C2 really does feel quite light on its feet. With a set of coil overs, the car's handling is transformed. If you will only stick to auto-x/street driving, the car doesn't need a whole lot more than that, some tires and more sporting seats to hold you in place + good brake pads (Pagid RS29 is seems a great fit for a dual purpose car and what I have run in all of the above cars). Cheers!
Old 07-22-2019, 02:14 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Just pull the FWD out of your turbo and swap the trunk lid for a regular C2 lid. Then have fun
Old 07-22-2019, 07:03 AM
FASTTRIP
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

You can also have a Tuner like a COBB or other and put it in Valet mode and you can depower the car and do a front wheel drive delete ( which can be reversed )and you have a slower rear wheel drive car, that’s just a lil heavier and not have reliability issues you feel you would have.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:41 AM
nvrsetl
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmet
I have had several 996 turbos, GT3 and Carreras, tracked them all. You are spot on, without going all out with track mods, the Carrera is by far the most fun to drive hard, and for the reasons you've listed. I know they have a "fragile" reputation, my experience has not matched that. A C2 really does feel quite light on its feet. With a set of coil overs, the car's handling is transformed. If you will only stick to auto-x/street driving, the car doesn't need a whole lot more than that, some tires and more sporting seats to hold you in place + good brake pads (Pagid RS29 is seems a great fit for a dual purpose car and what I have run in all of the above cars). Cheers!
Agree with this. I've owned and had similar experiences on these various models and currently own a C2 and by far it feels more 'raw' then a TT. Mine has the standard mods, - exhaust, intake, coil overs, wheels and that is all you pretty much need for DD and on occasion track use. It's definitely not as fast as the TT but what you have a nice example of a 911 that you can mod without breaking your wallet.

In regards to the reliability, - it's a Porsche so regardless if it's a TT or C2 be prepared for the repair costs.

Like others have said - drive one and you'll figure out which car is right for you.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:46 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Expanding on my previous reply;

Let me preface this by saying that I am currently selling my track modified Carrera 2 and considering modifying a turbo to about the same level of preparation. I have been down this road more than once. Despite all that the turbo offers, it's simply not as responsive and agile, and if that's most valuable to you as a driver, it is not as fun.

The turbo weighs significantly more, and the front suspension geometry does not have as much feedback to accommodate the front axles. You could simply disconnect/remove the front axles, but to actually get similar steering geometry, you would need GT3/GT2 knuckles (I believe you may need different calipers to work with those knuckles, which will then change brake proportioning). Remedying that, you would need a GT3/GT2 master cylinder, which is not compatible with the standard PSM on the turbo). The different knuckles also require coil overs... For hard driving at that power level you will also want an LSD... If you did do all this, there would still be increased weight and throttle response would not be the same as a naturally aspirated engine. It would be significantly faster than a C2 without question, but there you are.

My biggest personal problem with the turbo was actually the lack of feel in the clutch. Another thing you can fix by going to a GT2 slave conversion and getting rid of the power steering pump circuit that adds hydraulic assist to the clutch as fitted from the factory on the turbo.

The turbo is a better car in many ways, but it doesn't feel as direct and agile as the Carrera 2. If you enjoy the stability, power, comfort that the turbo has over the agility and directness of the GT3/Carrera, you are all set. If not... well there's the other cars.

Last edited by Ahmet; 07-22-2019 at 11:46 AM. Reason: More info
Old 07-22-2019, 12:16 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I have an X51 996 and have driven a few 996 Turbo's. The Turbo is a BEAST, a NA 996 will def feel slow to you coming from the Turbo.

With that said, when I drove a mild tuned Turbo when I was thinking about upgrading from my X51 996 I literally looked myself in the mirror and said if I had that much power I would kill myself. There is no way I could drive the car to it's potential on the road at least, and if I tried to do so it would result in a bad accident.

Turbos are unbelievable power where you constantly must practice restraint in driving. On the other hand, I can drive my 996 X51 hard and it does "feel" fast on it's own. But you have to drive it hard to do so. The Turbo is just a blip of the throttle and Take-Off.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:28 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

All of these replies is why I bought a Porsche instead of a Corvette.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996TT to C2?